Apology Accepted

vingt-cinq

I woke up to Oliver's fingers relentlessly stabbing at my shoulder. I shoved him away and rolled over, not even bothering to open my eyes. I heard Oli chuckle slightly and soon felt his arms curl around my waist as he attempted to pull me from the bed. The freezing cold air in his house nipped at my exposed legs and arms and I quickly reached for his comforter, grabbing a corner of it and taking it with me. This time, Oli laughed a little louder and dropped me on the bed.

I felt his warm breath on my cheek as he kissed me softly, shaking my shoulders, "Merry Christmas Sam, get up love."

Suddenly, my eyes popped open and I turned around awkwardly to see Oli grinning like an idiot, "What time is it?"

"Early. Matt's made it 'ere already. An' Audri an' Tom 'er waitin' on yeh."

"What about your mom and dad?"

"They've been awake as long as I 'ave. Now come on."

I closed my eyes again and reopened them, crawling out of bed as Oli waited impatiently for me in the door way. I followed him to the living room, still shivering from the morning chill. I got excited as I heard Matt joking around with everyone, saying he always bought the best gifts, no matter what.

"Mornin' sleepy 'ead!" Ian yelled as I came into the living room.

"Oh 'ush up Ian." Carol laughed, "Would yeh like some cocoa, doll? Or maybe a biscuit?"

Carol's question went unheard entirely as I looked around the room. The tree was lit up, all the lights flashing at different times, throwing patterns onto the wrapped presents piled under the tree, spilling around the sides of the green branches. I peered up at the star, still placed perfectly on the top of the tree, and all of the ornaments dangling there, like they had little hands grasping onto the branches.

I looked at Matt, who was leaning even more gifts against the ones already underneath the tree. My eyes quickly moved to Tom and Audri, who were cuddled together on the floor. They were laughing and smiling about something as Tom poked Audri in the stomach. And then my eyes moved over to Ian and Carol who looked so happy, just watching everyone in the room.

It amazed me how much Christmas could do with a ball of tension. Everyone went to bed mildly upset last night, minus Matt. None of us were in the best mood, we'd all heard some bad news, or shared some bad news. But it was like all of that had disappeared. All six of the people that I could see in the room at that moment were either smiling, or looking like they were on the verge of grinning. The snow was drifting across the yard outside, covering everything in a freezing cold blanket of white.

"So 'ow 'bout that biscuit?" Ian said, louder this time.

I snapped back into myself and turned towards him, "Erm. No thanks."

I felt bad, not taking a biscuit because I knew that Carol'd probably worked hard to make them. But, my stomach was already churning with excitement, I couldn’t imagine shoving food down my throat as well. Oli grabbed my hand and pulled me over towards the tree, sitting down and dragging me with him. He looked at Matt and smirked lightly.

"Oh, I see 'ow it is. Just 'cause all of yeh are paired up, 'm stuck playin' Santa." Matt laughed, standing up, "That's mint."

I wasted no time in jumping to my feet, a goofy grin on my face as I asked, "Can I help?"

"'Course yeh can," He grinned, handing me a small box, "'ere, that's fer Tommeh."

Once Matt and I started removing all the gifts from under the tree, everyone immediately became interested in talking about what they knew they'd received for Christmas. Matt and I tossed gifts across the room to one another, yelling out who they belonged to. My throat itched with excitement every I handed a gift to someone. And I was equally excited every time Matt handed a gift to me with my name on it.

After Matt and I passed out all the presents, everyone was huddled over them excitedly, ready to prove everyone right, their fingers just itching to tear the paper off their gifts.

"Whoa!" Matt whistled from behind the tree, "What in the bloody 'ell is this?"

I looked around the other side of the tree to see Matt's hands gripping the corner of a big, rectangular shaped object, wrapped nice and neat in shiny red wrapping paper. I quickly grabbed the other side of it and looked at him.

"I'll get this one," I murmured, "It's for Oli."

He cocked an eyebrow at me slightly, but let go of it and let me pull it from behind the tree on my own. I dragged it over to where my seat was next to Oli on the floor and propped it against the arm of the couch.

"Good God, who's is that?" Oli asked.

"Your's," I paused, looking down at the presents rested by his feet, "But you have to open it last."

"Right well. Then, let's get started aye?"

Only half an hour later, paper was covering every square inch of Oli's living room floor and everyone was yelling their own version of "thank you" across the room and admiring their new gifts.

Carol smiled from ear to ear when she saw the sweater I'd purchased for her. She'd also gotten a nice set of earrings from Tom and Oli, a bath kit from Audri, a cook book from Matt, and Ian gave her a necklace that would go perfectly with her earrings.

Ian opened his first gift, which was a book about the invention of airplanes from Tom and Oliver. Matt had gotten him a new bowler hat, as well as the coffee from me and a new pair of slippers from Audri. Carol had bought him tickets to see a comedian he really liked.

Audri was absolutely in love with the dress and necklace I'd picked up for her. In addition, she'd gotten a DVD from Oliver, and a gift certificate to a CD store from Matt. Carol and Ian had bought her a nice pair of pajamas while Tom bought her a teddy bear with a pretty pearl necklace wrapped around its neck.

Matt had thought my apple joke was just hilarious and was already chomping down on one of the juicy fruits while he looked over the action figure I'd also bought him, right along side some new comic books from Oli, a sweat shirt from Tom, and a gift certificate to the local music store so he could check out some stuff for his drums from Carol and Ian.

Tom got a pair of new jeans from Matt while Audri beamed as he yelled excitedly after tearing open the box containing new film for his camera. Carol and Ian had bought him a new skateboard, while Tom nearly had a heart attack after opening the lens Oli and I had bought for him.

I was stuck with a permanent smile on my face as I peered down at my gifts. Carol and Ian bought me a pair of really cool red sneakers. Matt laughed at me as I held up the jacket he'd bought me, saying, "Fer the next time yeh show up 'ere, yeh won't 'ave teh dig fer one." Audri had bought me some paints while Tom had given me some paint brushes. I tore open the small gift from Oli, pulling out a slip of paper that said, We'll go get you a tattoo tomorrow. Anything you want, Sammy. I looked at him and grinned, squealing slightly as I hugged him.

Oli got some CDs from Matt and a new beanie along with a t shirt from Tom and Audri. Carol and Ian had bought him a new set of Vans and a couple pairs of jeans. I watched with excitement as he reached behind him and grabbed the present I'd given him. A curious grin spread across his face as he began tearing the paper open. By now, everyone had already opened their gifts, so we were all focused on what Oli was unwrapping. The whole room grew silent as the painting was revealed completely. Not even the crumpling of paper was being heard any longer. Oli's eyes stayed glued to it. I gulped slightly, waiting for someone to say something.

"Jumpin' Jesus!" Tom said loudly, "Is that what yeh did with that picture I gave yeh?"

I nodded, "Yeah."

"Thought yeh were just gonna put it in a frame 'er somethin'." He muttered, "That's fuckin' brill."

"Tom watch yer mouth!" Carol scolded, "That's beautiful Sam."

"Thank you," I smiled softly, turning to Oli, "Do you like it?"

"I love it Sam. It's gorgeous." Oli looked up at me, his face still holding complete bewilderment, "When did yeh do this?"

"When you were practicing for your show."

Oli looked down at the picture again, which was extremely cute. At least I thought so. It was a picture of us sleeping. We were curled up against each other, my head rested on Oli's shoulder while he had his arms wrapped around my waist. Both of our hair was shoved to opposite sides, getting mixed in with one another's, almost making it look like we were connected at the head. We both just looked so peaceful. And the light was hitting the side of Oli's face perfectly, completing the picture entirely.

"Tom, did yeh take this picture?"

He nodded, "Yeah. When the two of yeh were sleepin' that mornin' I brought the phone teh Sam. She asked if I had any pictures of yeh an' that was the only one she wanted."

I nodded as I looked up at Tom, who was staring off into space like he was thinking about something.

I looked up from my camera when I heard a knock at my door. As I made my way over to it, I set my roll of film on the table. I turned the knob and opened the door to reveal a nervous looking Sam.

"Erm… 'ello." I smiled, knowing she was probably bored out of her mind with Oli being gone all the time.

"Hi Tom," She said, twisting her fingers together, "Is there any chance you've got a picture of Oli I could borrow?"

I laughed slightly, "Course I do. What do yeh need one for?"

"For Christmas," She said, looking up at me, "But I need it kinda big."

"How big?"

She shrugged, holding her arms out, making a box, "This big."

"Hmm, let meh check." I said, "Yeh wanna see the ones I 'ave on meh computer?"

"Sure."

I opened my door wider so she could come in and I sat down in front of my mac. I pulled up the folder of Oli and began clicking through the pictures, "If yeh see one yeh like, just tell meh."

She nodded, looking intently at the screen. After about 320 pictures of Oli in various settings, such as on stage, down in the basement at band practice, driving, sitting on the couch, playing video games, or simply walking down the street, Sam hadn't found one that she really wanted.

I closed the window, leaving all my folders of pictures exposed on the screen and leaned back in my chair, contemplating on showing her the only one of her and Oli I had. Minus the naked one of course. I'd taken that one with my Polaroid camera, and given Oli the only copy of it. I had one of them though, I just wasn't sure if I should show it to her. I didn't want her thinking I was some kind of weirdo that took pictures of her and Oli when they weren't watching.

"Who's that girl right there?" She asked, squinting at the screen, "With Oli?"

I grimaced slightly, hoping she didn't think I was creepy and clicked on the picture, maximizing it, "That's yeh."

"Wow." She said, almost inaudibly, "That lighting is so perfect Tom. Do you think you could print that one for me?"

"Yeah, but it might take a while. My printer's a bit slow."

"That's okay," She smiled, sitting on the edge of my bed and looking at all the Polaroids on the wall, "You don't mind if I wait in here, do you? The rest of the house is so quiet."

"Not at all."

I hit print on the computer and leaned back in my chair. After a while of listening to the printer, I leaned forward and grabbed the Rubix cube sitting on my desk, twisting the cubes to distract me from asking Sam what I'd been itching to ask her forever. But, that didn't do me much good. I was at a loss how to solve the stupid cube, but I knew all I had to do to solve my current problem was to ask Sam. Therefore, I set the cube on the desk, sighed loudly and turned towards Sam.

"Can I ask yeh somethin'?"

She unglued her eyes from my wall and looked at me, "Yeah."

"Yeh're leavin', aren't yeh?"

She nodded, "I have to finish school."

"Do yeh think Ols is gonna be okay?" I paused, "Yeh know, 'cause yeh're leavin'."

She nodded, "I hope so. You just have to watch out for him. Don't let him get in any trouble. Oli's got too much going for him to get into stupid shit like that, ya know?"

"What do yeh mean?"

"He's just. I don't know. He's got a lot of personality. And he's the type of person that I know can do anything he puts his mind to. And I just don't want him getting all fucked up again just because I go home. I'm not that important and I wish he'd fucking realize that sometimes."

I looked over at Sam, her face slightly angry as she spat the last few words of her sentence, "Yeh're important teh 'im though, Sam. And that's all that matters teh Olleh. Yeh just gotta let 'im care about yeh. Trust me, 'e won't go away."

She laughed slightly, "I've noticed."

I looked away from her, at the printer again and turned back towards her, "So, yeh really think he'll be alright?"

"I really do Tom. I think you guys being friends again is really going to help. I know that you guys love each other and you can help each other out."

I looked down at the ground, "I promise I won't let what 'appened last time 'appen again."

"That really means a lot that you'd say that Tom. Really, it does."

"I just feel so stupid 'bout it, still."

"Don't. You made a mistake. Shit happens. It's only a mistake if you don't learn from it. Just promise me a couple things?"

"What?"

"Just make sure that Oli keeps playing his music, okay? He loves doing it. I can tell, and I don't want that ruined. Especially not by me. And no matter how mad at me he gets, don't let him hate me. Please."

She stopped talking, her voice now faltering slightly. I managed to sneak a glance at her, noticing she was wiping her eyes. And I suddenly felt so horrible for her. I wanted to walk over to her and hug her and tell her that everything was going to be okay. But I didn't know her that well and I didn't want to make things awkward. So I said the only thing I knew was true.

"Ols couldn't 'ate yeh if 'e tried Sam. I can promise yeh that."


I suddenly felt Oli's fingers intertwine with mine as he leaned against me and smiled against my cheek, "Yer present was amazin', Love."

"I'm glad you liked it Oli." I giggled at the feeling of his stubble on my cheek.

Just as he was about to lean away, a light flashed at us and I looked up to see Tom with his camera held tightly in his hands. He smiled at me, right at me.

"Another one fer yeh teh paint."
♠ ♠ ♠
and that's what happened at christmas :D i finished writing this around winter break, which is why it's so christmas-y. anyways, i hope you guys enjoyed that chapter. this is seriously so close to being over. D: i can't wait to see all of your comments though, and i hope i'm living up to my expectations. you're all amazing.