Apology Accepted

quatre

It’d been just about two weeks since I’d started working at Jackson’s. The boy who offered me the job was named Jeremy and his dad owned the Jackson’s here. He used to live in Yorkshire, but his mom died and he was sent to live with his father. He hardly knows the guy, only having been around him for the last few months.

The only reason he’s living with him is because he is under the age of eighteen, making him about seventeen years old. Under law, he’s not allowed to be working here. But, no one wanted to discuss that with his father, who just so happened to be six foot five and a pretty built dude.

I came into work and slammed my wallet on the counter, muttering something about how I was so sick of my parents and the only reason I showed up to work today was because I wanted to get the hell away from them.

Jeremy’s dad came out of the back closet and looked at me, narrowing his eyes in my direction. I quickly averted my gaze to Jeremy’s feet, which were shuffling back and forth nervously as he attempted to clear my name.

“Oi, she’s just messin’ around.” He said quietly.

“I don’t like my employees coming into work and acting like that. It’s idiotic. And you better stop with your posh little accent, Jerm. I’m sick of it.” He snarled.

I waited and listened as his boots squeaked roughly against the linoleum floor and he walked away, back into the stock room. The door slammed shut and my head snapped up, an apologetic smile resting on my lips.

Jeremy looked embarrassed at the fact that his father had just been so rude. But, I didn’t blame the kid. It’s not his fault his dad has a pole lodged up his ass.

“Hey,” I said softly, placing a hand on his arm, “Don’t worry about it. It doesn’t bother me much. And your accent isn’t stupid, or posh. I like it to be honest.”

“Thank yeh.” He said quietly.

I nodded and stuffed my wallet into the back of my jeans and walked up and down the stock aisles, straightening up the candy bars, throwing away unused fountain sodas, and getting rid of the trash that was on the counter. I was about to reach for the broom when all of a sudden, a loud menacing screech sounded from the store’s speakers.

I slipped on a small puddle of water and landed roughly on the ground, bracing myself against the beer cooler. I covered my ears and looked towards Jeremy who was playing with the sound system, a sheepish grin on his face. He was lucky that the back door was closed, or I’m pretty sure his dad would have lashed out on him by now.

I quickly regained my composure and stood up, removing my hands from my ears.

“What the hell was that?” I asked.

He stifled his laughter and brought the volume up to a minimum, playing more of the song that had just been my shot of espresso for the day, “It’s this band back in England. They’re from Sheffield. Called Bring Me The ‘orizon. They’re nuts.”

“Obviously.” I grinned, listening to the remaining parts of the song.

There was so much screaming involved. The music was definitely one of those hard core metal bands that refused to slow down. The break downs were insane and the lyrics that I was able to understand were phenomenal.

“One more time, I whispered in her ear!” Jeremy sang along loudly, tapping away at the register.

I just stood next to the counter and continued listening to the music, the guitar riffs blowing me out of the water. I loved the way the screamer sounded. His voice sounded so distant, so lost and so fucked up. He sounded hurt, and all at the same time ready to kick someone’s ass.

Jeremy reached forward and twisted the knob to the sound system as his father came out of the back room.

“Jerm.” He said.

I cringed at the thought of my nick name being something like germ.

“Yeah?”

“I need you to make a log of everything from yesterday. I forgot to.”

“Alrigh’.”

His father disappeared back into the room and Jeremy grinned at me, “Those guys are sick, huh?”

“Yeah, they’re amazing.”

“They’re lead singer has this bad ass name,” He paused, “Fuck I can’t remember it right now. But, it’s fuckin’ brill.”

I nodded, laughing quietly and turned around to pick up the broom and start sweeping, so I could actually keep this job.

---------

I was just grabbing my soda and stuffing another pack of smokes in my back pocket when Jeremy stopped me, “Hey Sam?”

“Yeah?” I asked, spinning around and coming face to face with him.

“I was thinking, yeh know maybe since we work together n’ all, yeh’d like teh go to the movies with me this weekend ‘er somethin’?”

I nodded and pressed one hand against the door, “Yeah Jeremy. I’d like that.”

“Okay. I’ll pick you up Friday night?”

“Yeah, you already have my address, right?”

“Sure do. It’s in the logs.”

“Okay then. See you Friday.”

A small grin took over my face as I let the small bell clink behind me and the door to the Jackson’s slammed shut. I fished my keys out of my pocket and let a shiver run down my back as I fumbled to get them into the hole on my door. I quickly got into my car and started it, driving towards home. I was excited to go on a date with Jeremy. Heck, I was excited to go on a date with anyone. I hadn’t been out ever since Oliver left, and it’s probably time that I get out and go do something instead of sitting around and kicking it with Marilyn and Marsha.

Besides that, it’s getting old.

I pulled up along side the house hid my smokes underneath my seat, making sure they wouldn’t be seen this time and let myself out of the car, walking through the cold wind. I quickly let myself in the house and hung my keys up on the hook. I unwrapped the scarf from around my neck and made my way into the kitchen.

“Hey g-”

I was fully in the kitchen when I realized not only was I greeting Marilyn and Marsha, but Lynn as well. My words caught in my throat and I could hardly move. I hadn’t seen Lynn in a long time. Three, maybe four months. She still looked the same. Dark brown hair, pretty green eyes, contrasted skin color against Oliver’s, a small mouth, and big cheeks. She was dressed in a blue t shirt, a black hoodie pulled over her arms and a pair of jeans clinging to her legs. Her feet were covered in a pair of sneakers and she had an innocent look upon her face. She saw me and her jaw dropped. She stood up quickly and embraced me in a hug, holding onto me tightly. Once she let go, she took her seat once again and Marsha motioned for me to take mine.

I sat down and looked at the grain in the wood of the kitchen table. I felt all three woman’s gazes on me like the sun beating down on someone wearing all black.

“I already paid you back the 1,500.” I sighed, “What now?”

I hadn’t meant to be so harsh with Lynn, but I just couldn’t deal with all of this again. I was agitated. Every time I turned around, Oli was finding loop holes and jumping through them just to get back in my life. And the sad part is, he wasn’t even trying. I was just imagining things and it was useless for me to try and get him off my mind.

“Please Sam. Just listen to what Lynn has to say. No interrupting, no bothering her. Just listen and then you can say whatever you want, okay?” Marilyn said softly, placing her hand on top of mine.

I nodded softly and held my gaze on her small hands, her nails decorated with a pretty green color.

"It seems that since Olleh 'as been back in Sheffiled, 'es been gettin' in a lot of trouble. I've been talkin' to his mate, Matt and 'e says Olleh's worse than 'es ever been. An' I think that the real problem is, 'e misses yeh Sam. 'E didn't want teh leave yeh, and I'm tellin' yeh right now, if it was up to him, 'e never would've left. Just cause yeh were 'ere." She paused, waiting for any reaction from me.

But, I wasn't going to do it. I wasn't going to cry, I wasn't going to feel bad. I was just going to listen.

She sighed and started speaking again, "An' so, Olleh's birthday is comin' up 'ere in about six days, 'ell be nineteen and I think that it would be real nice fer 'im if yeh would go an' visit 'im Sam. I really do."

"Again with this visiting stuff? You guys know what happened last time and you're willing just to drop another 1500 bucks for me to go out there again? What if I don't want to? Do you really think I want to show up for his birthday when he left me on mine?"

"Sam, sweetie." Marilyn said, squeezing my hand, "It's different this time, you know about it. And I really think it would be a good thing for you to do, maybe talk over some things with Oli, see what happened, you know? I'll bet he didn't intend to hurt you so badly."

"Maybe not, but he did." I said quietly.

The shrill ring of the phone brought me back to my senses and I reached for it, sitting on the kitchen table. An extremely irritated looking Marsha snatched the phone from me and answered it. She then rolled her eyes and passed it onto Marilyn, who answered it with a grin.

"Hi Matt."

I pondered the thought once more. Who the fuck was this Matt guy?

"No, we're trying to get her to agree to it." She said quietly.

I mentally slapped myself across the face. Matt. Oli's friend; Matt. Duh.

"You want to talk to her?" She paused, looking at me. I didn't know what to do. I merely sat there, so Marilyn handed me the phone. I took it in my hand and pressed it against my cheek.

"Hello?"

"'Ello? Sam? This is Matt. 'M Olleh's friend." He said quickly, "Listen, Olleh's been 'orrid since 'e left yeh. 'E needs yeh Sam. I understand yeh're pissed off at him, an' I know why. It wasn't okay fer 'im teh leave yeh. But, yeh gotta listen teh meh when I say this."

He stopped and I was quiet, listening to his quick breathing, "Are yeh listenin'?"

"Yes."

"Olleh needs yeh 'ere. Okay? 'Es fallin' apart, he's losin' control and no one can get to 'im. I know ‘ow yeh feel. Abandoned, hurt, and yeh feel like givin' up. I know that. That's exactly how Olleh feels." He paused, "Now, I don't know if yeh agree with meh er not, but I don't see the point in the two of yeh bein' so upset without each other when yeh could be a hundred times 'appier with each other, yeh know?"

Tears found their way to my eyes and I shut them quickly, ignoring the repeat of my name coming from Matt's mouth. I placed the phone down on the table and pressed my palms against my eyes, my voice coming out in short sobs.

I felt the comforting arms of Marilyn wrap around me and I heard Lynn pick up the phone.

"Matt, yeh made 'er cry."

Over my sobs, I heard Matt retaliate.

I tried choking out words the best I could, but all I managed to say was, "I want to go."

And I think that was enough.
♠ ♠ ♠
Oh gosh, how was that one for a cliffhanger?

I am so sorry that I crushed your dreams, the clerk was neither Tom nor Matt, only Jeremy. But. He does have an importance to the story. I will prove that later on. :D

I regret to inform you, my lovely readers, but I will have to refrain from posting for a little while. I'm only going to be making two updates in the month of November, because that is all I have ready for you guys.

I am joining NaNoWriMo, (which is where you write a 50,000 word novel in a month, which is equivalent to about 1,800 words a day). Actually, I'm being forced into it, by my creative writing teacher, and although I am quite terrified, I am a bit excited for it. :D

So, please, still leave your comments. I am not leaving this story, and it's not going on hiatus, it's only going to have prolonged updates. I appreciate you guys so much, and you're amazing with the comments.

I have two special thanks to give out. One to CypherToorima for dubbing my Oliver story the best she's read. :D
And another to Kismet for recommending my story to someone else and gaining me a new reader.

So, with all that said, please don't give up on me. I promise I will update asap as soon as NaNo is over.