Status: Just starting. Will be slow with school!

A New Member of GD, a Talking Cat, and Missing Fision Reactors... Yeah, It's Eureka.

Chapter One:

Atreyu Grant heaved the heavy duffle bag over her shoulder at the sight of Café Diem. She reminded herself how much she was getting paid, and walked into the diner sized café. A tan, brunette woman saw Atreyu, and waved her over, Atreyu walking over, recognizing her as Allison Blake, her employer. Allison Blake smiled kindly at the nineteen year old genius, who returned the smile, and said in a hoarse voice, “Sorry, I’m late. The address you gave me, no one was home. So I just left my car there, and figured that I might grab a ride with you to GD?” Allison nodded and replied, “Of course. You’ll be staying with our sheriff, Jack Carter. I’ll have him stop by GD, you can meet him, and he can drive you home. But let’s get something to eat first.” As if on cue, a round, brown haired man walked up and asked, “What can I get you two lovely ladies?” Atreyu looked around and asked, “Uhm, do you have a menu?”

Vincent grinned and told her, “Honey, I can make anything you want. You name it, I can bake it. Try me.” She grinned and asked, “How about cream cheese rangoons, fries, and a Diet Coke?” Vincent smiled and Allison ordered a sandwich, before he scurried back to the kitchen. Atreyu turned back to Allison, and asked, “So you said over the phone that I would be working with another person, and that certain people couldn’t know what I was doing. Can I find out who those people are?” Allison chuckled and told her, “You’ll be working with Zane Donovan. As to who can’t know, that would be everyone, other than Zane, myself, and Dr. Henry Deacon. Carter can know as well, but other than that, no one. This is a secret, and I don’t want people to know what you are doing here specifically.” Atreyu nodded and opened her mouth to ask something, but a man with black hair and a tan woman walked in arguing.

The woman had a police uniform on, and Atreyu could only guess what the end result would be. Allison sighed and whispered, “The guy is Zane Donovan. She’s Jo Lupo. Try and stay on her good side please. I would hate to try and find a new genius and deputy.” Atreyu nodded and Jo and Zane finally finished yelling, Jo storming out, and Zane trudging over to the table, Allison giving him a sympathetic smile. Atreyu glared at him and Zane stared at her. Atreyu Grant was the one girl Zane had never been able to win over, and the only person he had never been able to outsmart. He had had a crush on her since they were five. He turned to Allison and asked her, “Are you kidding me? Atreyu Grant is the ‘brilliant’ new mind you brought in?” The instant he said that, he mentally slapped himself for being so dumb. Allison looked from Atreyu to Zane then asked, “Will you two working together be a problem?” Atreyu went slack jawed and asked, “I have to work with that idiot?!” Zane winced at being called an idiot.

Once again, Vincent had perfect timing, walking over with Atreyu’s food, as well as Allison’s and Zane’s. Vincent told them, “It’s on the house. Think of it as my little welcome gift.” Atreyu smiled and took a bite of one of the cream cheese rangoons. Her eyes went wide and she swallowed before saying, “Oh my God this is amazing!” He smiled and left humming contently to himself. Zane bit into his burger without a second thought and yelp as the hot food burned his tongue. Atreyu coughed on her food and started laughing her head off. Allison shook her head but started to eat her sandwich, watching the two argue over trivial matters. After almost ten minutes of the two fighting, she told them, “You two will be working together, but Zane, she has lead on this. So if she tells you to do something, do it. Now bring the food, we’re late, and you two need to get to work. Come on!”

Zane and Atreyu looked at each other, shrugged, and grabbed their plates and headed for the door. Zane got the door with his foot for Atreyu, who blinked and muttered a ‘thank you’ then followed Allison. Zane jogged to catch up and offered, “I’ll carry your bag for ya. Allison parks pretty far.” Atreyu looked at Zane suspiciously then nodded, letting him grab her heavy duffle, and hauling it over his shoulder. Atreyu watched the side walk, then asked randomly, “Why are you so nice all of a sudden?” Zane chuckled, shrugged and replied, “I dunno. Maybe cause you are now the only person here who will give me a challenge.” He glanced across the street and saw Jo glaring and new she heard him. For god measure, he added, “And not physically.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well, first chapter. Lemme know what you think...