Tonight, Tonight She's Not Alone

Chapter Two.

I like to believe that deep inside everyone, there’s a monster that they’re hiding. Some people can hide it better than others. Some don’t even recognize that it’s there. Sometimes you’ve got to let your monster out to eat or else it’ll get hungry and feed on your insides until you’re nothing left but skin.

My monster has never been let out to indulge itself. It’s sitting in the shadows waiting for the right moment to come out and make her its prey. For now, it sits inside me, gorging on my insides and thrashing around, twisting and tightening my innards, every time I see her alone.
’Just wait,’ I tell the beast as it tries to thrust me towards her.

Every time I pass her she’s flaunting a smile that stops the world dead in its tracks; her chocolate hair thrown behind her shoulders, cascading down her back. Beautiful in every way.
As I walk by I try to twist a smile onto my face and pretend she still knows who I am. Odd times I look down and accidentally brush hands with her as I pass by, causing my insides to go crazy and my mind to float in temporary excitement.

Usually, she’s not alone. She’s mostly with her boyfriend. Captain of the football team, drop dead handsome, can get any girl he wants, but he chose her and treats her like a slave, like a worthless piece of flesh.
She doesn’t deserve him; she deserves someone who can treat her like she’s the only girl in the world. I could treat her right. I could treat her like a queen. Sure I don’t have the money or amazing looks like he does, but I know how to treat her right, that must count for something....