Sequel: She Almost Left Me

The One That Got Away

Being Six Years Old

Birds flying high you know how I feel
Sun in the sky you know how I feel
Reeds driftin' on by you know how I feel

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

Fish in the sea you know how I feel
River running free you know how I feel
blossom in the trees you know how I feel

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good

Dragonfly out in the sun you know what I mean, don't you
know
Butterflies all havin' fun you know what I mean
Sleep in peace when day is done
And this old world is a new world
And a bold world
For me

Stars when you shine you know how I feel
Scent of the pine you know how I feel
Oh freedom is mine
And I know how I feel

It's a new dawn
It's a new day
It's a new life
For me
And I'm feeling good


"Pasta for tea! It's tortellini, you like that. Put a good scoop of cream cheese in it; the plain stuff, Lauren doesn't like the chives yet. Remember, boil the kettle then pour it over the pasta. Put it on the stove at about four until five minutes is up. Use the sieve - that's the plastic thing with little holes in it - and empty the water and pasta into it. The water will drain. Then put the pasta back in the pan and mix cream cheese into it. Get all of that?" Mam asked.

"Um..." Frankie said quietly, biting his nails.

Mam sighed. "I'll do it now before I go out. Go put the TV on for your sister. Am I making tea for your friend?"

Danny stood uncomfortable in the corner. He was hungry but he didn't want to intrude. He'd rather starve than use resources they didn't have. But Frankie had said his mam had asked if Frankie wanted to invite him to tea. Danny had already said he'd come anyway.

"Yeah," Frankie said, grinning the grin that always made his mam happy.

"Okay! Hope he likes pasta and cream cheese!" she beamed, sorting through the cupboards.

The two boys went into the front room, talking about school and football and music and everything else that twelve year old boys talk about. A little girl sat on the sofa, staring at a blank TV, tongue poked out through the gaps of missing teeth, trying to magic the TV on with mind powers.

She heard them come in, and squealed happily. She'd only met Danny once before but she'd taken a real shine to him. She called him her 'Uva Bruva', because she still had that cute speech impediment all young children had. Frankie laughed as she jumped at him, and he lifted her into his arms.

"What were you doing there, Lollipop?" he asked warmly.

"Practi-th-ing telekine-th-i-th," she smiled back, grinning to show neither front tooth.

Danny giggled at her and she looked round at him, still grinning. He waved slightly at her, smiling warmly at the sweet little girl who was starting to curl up slightly in her big brothers' arms.

"I want The Wiggwes on! Please?" she added, smiling sweetly.

Frankie laughed. "Okay, Smiler. We'll put The Wiggles on."

He turned on the TV and put the DVD in the disk drawer, picking up the remote and Lauren, who squealed with delight, and placed her on the sofa. He nodded to Danny to sit at one side of her, and Frankie sat on her other side, putting his arm protectively around her. He loved his baby sister.

They ate their tea, and continued watching countless episodes of the Wiggles. Lauren curled up with her head on Danny and her legs on Frankie, and fell asleep. Frankie just smiled and picked her up, taking her to her room. Danny followed, facing the wall as Frankie undressed and redressed his sister into her pajamas, placing her in bed. He kissed her forehead, then motioned to Danny.

"She needs to kisses on her forehead or she wakes up in the middle of the night. We've tested it. She's definitely a strange one," Frankie whispered, smiling down at his baby sister.

So Danny walked over, quite nervous. He lent over and kissed the girls forehead, and she smiled slightly in her sleep, before rolling over and putting her thumb in her mouth. Danny just smiled, thinking how cute she was.
♠ ♠ ♠
Chapter two.
How's this whole song at the start thing going for you?
Comments are answers, comments are help.
Enjoy? xxx