Sequel: She Almost Left Me

The One That Got Away

Two to Nine, Two to Fifteen

A drop in the ocean,
A change in the weather,
I was praying that you and me might end up together.
It's like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert,
But I'm holding you closer than most,
'Cause you are my heaven.

I don't wanna waste the weekend,
If you don't love me, pretend
A few more hours, then it's time to go.
And as my train rolls down the East coast,
I wonder how you keep warm.
It's too late to cry, too broken to move on.

Still I can't let you be,
Most nights I hardly sleep.
Don't take what you don't need, from me.

Just a drop in the ocean,
A change in the weather,
I was praying that you and me might end up together.
It's like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert,
But I'm holding you closer than most,
'Cause you are my heaven.

Misplaced trust and old friends,
Never counting regrets,
By the grace of God, I do not rest at all.
and New England as the leaves change;
The last excuse that I'll claim,
I was a boy who loved a woman like a little girl.

Still I can't let you be,
Most nights I hardly sleep,
Don't take what you don't need, from me.

A drop in the ocean,
A change in the weather,
I was praying that you and me might end up together.
It's like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert,
But I'm holding you closer than most,
'Cause you are my

Heaven doesn't seem far away anymore no, no
Heaven doesn't seem far away.
Heaven doesn't seem far away anymore no, no
Heaven doesn't seem far away.

aooo
aooo

A drop in the ocean,
A change in the weather,
I was praying that you and me might end up together.
It's like wishing for rain as I stand in the desert,
But I'm holding you closer than most,
'Cause you are my heaven.
You are my heaven


"Silence!" Danny finished, with a last harsh strum to his guitar.

Lauren, Frankie and Davinia applauded hard. It was a brilliant song; a eulogy for the 9/11 attacks that had barely happened a month ago. Danny had come in from school that day, turned on the TV and saw it all. He was man enough to admit that he'd cried.

Nine year old Lauren jumped up and crawled onto Danny's knees, wrapping her arms round his neck. For the last three years, she'd loved Danny like another brother. Even at nine years old, she knew he was going to go places. And she wanted him to, she knew how much he deserved it. He was so talented.

Davinia had occupied Frankie's lap, facing Lauren and grinning. Lauren turned to face her friend and grinned back. The boys exchanged looks, wondering what they were planning in their clever little heads.

The little girls suddenly turned to the boys they were sat on and, in unison, screamed for a movie and popcorn. Frankie smiled and rolled his eyes, then lifted Davinia to set her next to Danny, who wrapped his arms round both girls and began asking them which movie they would like, as Frankie went to prepare the popcorn and the melted butter.

"I want... Monsters Inc.!" Lauren squealed.

"Oh my God! You have Monsters Inc.!?" Danny attempted to squeal back - his voice was breaking.

"Yeah!"

Lauren climbed off him - Davinia stole her place on Danny's lap - and ran to the small pile of DVD's next to the brand new DVD player. She shuffled through them and held up a white box with a blue monster, a green monster and a little girl in pink on the front. Davinia squealed and jumped off of Danny, squealing as she was handing the box. Danny smiled. They were such cute kids.

"Put it on!" Davinia smiled, handing the DVD politely back to Lauren.

The other girl complied, turning the DVD player and the TV on and opening the DVD box, then placing the disk gently in the drawer. She pressed the button for shut, grabbed the remote and ran back to Danny's lap.

Frankie came back, grinned at his little sister subconsciously sucking her thumb, and her little best friend sat next to her, doing the same.

"Popcorn!" Frankie whispered loudly.

He wandered to the sofa and handed the popcorn to Lauren, then sat down so Davinia could place herself back in his lap. Frankie shuffled them closer to Danny and Lauren so they could reach the popcorn, then draped a blanket over them all. Lauren and Davinia snuggled up closer under blanket, shoveling hand-fulls of popcorn into their mouths.

The movie was only on for half an hour when the girls were still. Their chests moved up and down slowly, they had stopped sucking their thumbs so they hung loosely inside their mouths, and their eyes were firmly closed.

"We best put them to bed. I'll call Wendy and say Davinia fell asleep. I don't think she'd mind; it isn't a school night," Frankie whispered, standing up carefully with a fast asleep Davinia in his arms.

Danny nodded and did the same with Lauren. As he put his arms round her in the carrying position, she stirred and cuddled closer into him. He smiled and followed Frankie to Lauren's bedroom. Gently, they lay the girls in Lauren's bed, deciding to leave both of them in their clothes so neither felt different with Lauren being in her jammies.

Danny knew the rules now. Frankie kissed Lauren's forehead, and Danny did the same. The nine year old smiled slightly, her thumb still in her mouth, and rolled over, cuddling the soft toy Danny had placed in her open arms.

"Come on, we'll go finish off Monsters Inc.," Frankie grinned to Danny.
♠ ♠ ♠
Title's a bit rubbish-y.
Couldn't think of anything. (:
Should check out this song, it's really good.

I'm glad you liked the last two chapters.
I know they seem to be growing up fast.
But I only ever planned them being young as the starter.
The story comes into its own when they're older.

Just thought I'd say (:
Enjoy.