Sam's Town

Sam's Town

"I see London, I see Sam's Town now.."

The sky above him, the purple-blue chunk of infinity, oozed its summertime glow. No breeze, no voices. Just the silence of time peacefully drifting away. He was sitting underneath a palm tree, watching the sunset. A palette of white sailing boats stretched across the sea, hiding away the sun reflection on the ocean surface.

The sun, slowly falling down, vanishing from the horizon, couldn't illuminate his deteriorating figure. The piercing sunrays were reflecting from his pale, skinny face; like from the smooth, silky mirror surface.

He cracked a smile, thoughtfully beholding the remains of the big yellow ball on the horizon. The Sun was falling down, evanescing carelessly. He looked at his new silver watch; his dad’s present for the 17th birthday. 8:21 PM. It’s been an hour since he found the palm tree at the marina; an hour since his eyes couldn’t stop marveling the world around him.

His black bandana with piercing The Killers patch on was emphasizing the beauty and grace of his sky blue eyes. But it couldn’t mask the hair loss. His pink chapped lips were holding back a story of a boy with leukemia, the bone marrow disease. Radiation and chemotherapy have butchered his fragile body. But he didn’t quite feel like a martyr, not anymore. All those bruises he had because of the damaged bone marrow were gone. No pressure. No pain. Just a tiny bit of the Sun peeking from the distance. And the warmth. The warmth of a summer sunset.

The sky was painted purple now, with the bits of dark orange. His blue eyes were soaking up the beauty of the scene, soaking up the summer. He never realized how the heart races when faced with the beauty, until now. He could never feel it behind the hospital’s window. But now it is gone. No glassier obstacle between him and the world. No more. A cracked smile unmasked the cuts on his lips, the lips never kissed; never felt the warmth of a girl’s gently pressed onto them.

Those sailing boats accompanied with seagulls and pelicans and their screeching and high pitched cries were now firmly attached in the marina. Enough sea waves for a day, it’s time to rest. The Sun was gone. Fell down behind the mountains. The night sky took the role of a charming one. The stars slowly appearing and dancing in their own grace, created different forms above him. Constellations. The Big Dipper, Orion, Cassiopeia.

What a view. His eyes were filled with the beauty he could only imagine; he could only dream of. The magic, took for granted. Sparkles of happiness were jiving in his heart. He was happy.

The hospital, his second home was lit by thousands lights. His bed was empty. The nurses were unplugging the tubes and folding the sheets.

“Where’s Andrew? Where’s my son?” A crying voice filled with nothing but fear and desperation smothered the room.

“I’m sorry, Mister Cooper, Andrew passed away at 7:21 PM. We tried to reach you.. He said he’d be happier in Sam’s Town..”