The Lies of Molly Ringwald

The Lies of Molly Ringwald

Prom is supposed to be a night of magic, and an end to the chapter of your life that is called “High School” or “Hell,” if you prefer. Or that’s what the movies tell us, at least. That’s a blatant lie fed to us by Molly Ringwald. Prom is not romantic. It doesn’t end with you falling head-over-heels in love with the school quarterback; the one you’ve been love with for the past four years.

No. Let me tell you what prom is really supposed to be: You’re supposed to go with the nerdy kid from the chess club; the one that’s liked you since freshmen year. Your mom’s supposed to take a million pictures of you and that giant pimple you woke up with on the morning of prom. You’re supposed to get wasted afterwards and be taken advantage of by that quarterback, the same one you’ve always had a crush on. You’re supposed to lose your virginity to him and wake up the next morning with him frantically telling you that you can’t tell anyone what has happened. It might damage his social standing, he’ll say. And you’re supposed to run home balling your eyes out.

But I didn’t even get that at my senior prom. Nope. I’m not that lucky.

Perhaps I should tell you how I ended up driving my best friend Isabel’s uncle’s Mustang on the way to my ex-boyfriend‘s house, with my best friend, prom date, two other male friends, and an annoying slut; an annoying slut who thought she was considered a friend. By no stretch of the imagination would you be able to guess how this all happened. And when this ends, when all is said and done, the events that occurred that night will be covered up and hidden or the world as we know it will be over. None of this will really matter.

No one would believe the honest-to-god truth as to why I’m driving on this old gravel road, heading to the home of someone who I swore I would never even speak to again, keeping a close eye on the rear view mirror and praying that there wasn’t a car behind us. No, I wasn’t running from the cops with a shit ton of booze in the car. Okay, so maybe we did have a shit ton of booze in the car, but it wasn’t the cops we were running from. We were running from ninety percent of the junior and senior class.

And now you’re wondering what it was that we did? Well, nothing, to be honest. We were just being ourselves, so to speak. But enough beating around the bush, we’re running away from our peers ; our classmates who have been possessed…by aliens. And when I say “aliens,” I don’t mean Mexicans who snuck across the border. I mean aliens from outer space. You know, UFO’s, Roswell, Area 51, X-Files kind of shit. Okay, so it was more like “Invasion of the Body Snatchers” shit ‘cause they were still our classmates, now, they just with an alien inside of them.

“Ellie, are we almost there?” Elizabeth, the annoying slut, asked from the back seat.

“Almost,” I replied, realizing that my voice was shaking. I noticed that my whole body was shaking. Then it came to my attention just how poorly I was driving. I was going about eighty on a dark gravel road that over-looked a drop-off. The drop-off led to a river about two hundred feet below. It was a dangerous drive in the daylight. It was practically suicide now, as dark as it was and as shaky as I was, just having seen some of my classmates killed.

Then there it was, James’ little two-story farm house. Why had we chosen James’ place for refuge? His parents were gone for the weekend, for one, and since he hadn’t been ad prom, we thought he might still be human. However, I was against the idea from the beginning. Since I was the only one who knew the way to his house blindfolded, I got screwed into driving. Isabel was in no condition to be driving. She was pretty shaken up about her boyfriend being one of them now. I had been out-voted about where we go.

What was our plan now that we were at James’ place, you might ask? Well, we really have no idea. At this point we’re just trying to figure out how we were going to make it through the night.

When I turned off the engine, an eerie silence over came the entire car. I wasn’t sure what they were thinking, but I knew what I was thinking about: just how to I convince James to let me and my friends into his house. I wondered if my friends were wondering just how things were going to play out between James and I, considering our sworn hatred for each other. Oh, who the hell was I kidding? I was freaking out. I didn’t want to talk to the kid who broke my heart.

Well, no matter what happened, this was going to be interesting.