Death and Associates

The Past and Present Collide

Present Dany Hell’s POV

I glanced down at Grim who was sewing my cowl… yet again. I don’t wear it, but it’s Halloween and I’m supposed to go traditional, I'M FIVE ELEVEN, NOT EIGHT FOOT FOUR.

Grotesque bounced in wearing some skinny jeans, a band tee and a yellow streak in his hair. He was going as Jade from AFI, why couldn’t I be something cool like… Tré Cool pretending to be a vampire that was pretending to be Superman… no, I had to go as Death. I’m Death everyday.

I DON'T WANT TO BE DEATH... I'M GOING AS SOMETHING ELSE… AND SOMEWHERE ELSE.

Grim looked taken aback, “We always go Trick or Treating together!”

Grotesque looked at me and said quietly, “What about… us?”

I looked at him and sighed, I WILL ONLY BE GONE HALF AN HOUR, IF THAT.

As I walked to the bathroom to take off this damned cowl, I heard Grotesque whisper, “Can I go too?”

I stopped, COME WITH ME TO THE BATHROOM.

He followed me in silence. As we entered the bathroom I took off the cowl, he gasped. I turned to him, YOU'VE SEEN ME NUDE BEFORE.

He nodded at looked down. What was wrong with him, did I do something?

“I… I don’t know what came over me.”

Then I realized, every time he saw me he must have reacted like this in his mind, but this was the first time he’d ever done it out loud. I smiled at him, just because I’m Death doesn’t mean I have a skeleton for a body. He noticed me! And he likes it! Then I blushed, but I had to tell him where I was going, THERE'S A PARTY FOR ANGELS AND THE SORT. BUT SINCE YOU'RE ONLY IMMORTAL YOU CAN'T GO, I'M SORRY. I'LL BE BACK IN HALF AN HOUR… IF I'M BACK BEFORE, WE COULD HAVE SOME FUN.

I winked at him and my clothes appeared, a blood red corset with black sleeves and a black flowing skirt. I stroked his cheek and smiled as I disappeared.

As I reappeared in a mist filled cavern that was lit with only a few torches, a figure slid up behind me.

Whatss do we have herrre?

He slid to my left, Isss it… dessssertss?

AWAY.

He hissed almost like he was in pain, Death! and scurried away.

Did I hear a familiar voice?

I spun around and there was Micah, MICAH.

His smile as smug as it was twenty years ago, Care for a dance my lady?

I smiled as he took my hand and led me to the middle of the cavern. He started the dance and I followed.

You haven’t graced my eyes with your beauty in twenty years. What is the occasion?

YOU'RE WORDS ARE LIKE HONEY, SO SWEET. MICAH, I BELIEVE I HAVE FOUND MY TRUE LOVE.

He smiled, As have I.

He gently kissed me on the cheek. I looked into his eyes and saw something… I realized who he was talking about, “Me…”

Micah stopped dancing, Your… voice. I heard it… it was… so beautiful.

“Speak dear one, there’s no one here to impress.”

Micah looked like he was on the verge of crying out in joy, “My love, please, do not toy with me, I feel the need to impress you always.”

“Sweet Micah, my heart feels torn, I love two.”

Micah looked crestfallen, “Surely there is a way…”

“I will find a way. I will find a way, but this must be our last dance for tonight.”

He leaned into my ear and whispered, “I love you.”

I whispered back, “As I you.”

We wove back and forth in the empty cavern. As we broke apart I smiled at him, I MUST GO.

You know where I will always be.

He gently kissed me on the lips, like he did four hundred years ago.

And I disappeared into the mists.

As I reappeared in the bathroom it was empty, I glanced at the clock on the sink. I was late, five minutes late.