Status: Finished

But It's Better If You Swear to Shake It Up.

He's blue!

Pete's P.O.V.

“Did you get a hold of him?” I asked Gabe as soon as I noticed him walk into the waiting room.

“No, but I left him a message. Did he call your phone?” he asked and I shrugged.

“It's not on. We're really not supposed to use them in the hospital,” I said.

“Well, fuck it, turn it on and see. This an emergency. Ryan needs to be here,” he said and I grabbed it out of my pocket, turning it on to see about five missed calls from Ryan and two from Brendon, which I figured was Ryan calling from his phone. “Okay, now call him, and do not turn your phone off again!”

I quickly dialed his number, and he picked up right on the first ring.

“Hello?!” he said into the phone and I sighed at the scared sound in his voice.

“Hey, baby,” I said.

“I'm sorry, I just got Gabe's message, and I've been trying to call. How is she? What's going on?” he asked frantically.

“I-I don't know, babe. I'm gonna go in there as soon as I get off the phone with you,” I said.

“I'm coming home, baby. I'll be there soon,” he told me.

“Where are you?” I asked.

“I got a plane. Don't ask me how we did it, but I should be there in about an hour,” he explained and I nodded even though he couldn't see me.

“Ryan, I'm scared. What if something happens to him?” I said, feeling my eyes water.

“Don't be, Pete. He's going to be fine. Just think, we'll be able to hold our baby sooner than we thought,” he said and I smiled slightly. “I'm going to be there soon, then I'll be by your side the whole time, but right now just be strong and be in there with her, she needs support, too. She's probably scared, too.”

“Okay, baby, I'll see you soon.”

“Of course. I love you,” he told me.

“I love you, too,” I said, hanging up the phone and closing my eyes. I opened them again to see Gabe looking over at me.

“You okay?” he asked and I nodded.

“Yeah, I think I should go back with her,” I said and he nodded.

“Whatever you want to do, Pete. No one's forcing you to do anything. I know this is hard. None of this were expecting this,” he told me.

“I'm going to. She needs me. And I need to see my baby,” I said, standing up and walking back towards the delivery room where Izey was.

**

“Come on, Izey, I need you to push!” the doctor said and she let out a loud yell.

“I can't!” she cried, tears pouring down her cheeks.

“Yes, you can! Come on, you gotta try,” Ryan said, standing next to her and holding her hand. I was on her other side.

“Okay! Izey, I'm going to ask you to not push now, whatever you do,” the doctor said and my heart dropped.

“Why? What's wrong?” I asked, coming towards the doctor.

“The cord is wrapped around his neck. I'm going to have to try to get him unstuck, but I don't want her pushing because it might cause more tension on the cord,” he told me and looked up at Ryan, who stared back at me with terrified eyes. Suddenly, the machine that was recording the baby's heart beat slowed, and I panicked. I looked down to where the doctor was, seeing him moving the baby around carefully and unwrapping the cord cautiously. The heart beat slowly returned to a normal beat and I breathed in deeply, looking at Ryan, who had tears in his eyes and looked more than terrified.

But after all that had happened, the most amazing noise filled the room. And I'm not talking about a chorus of angels or something like that, I'm talking about a cry. A small cry started up from where the doctor was, and it grew louder and louder around the room. He held up the little boy and I swear my heart stopped. I felt tears come to my eyes as I stepped forward and took a look at my son.

“He's blue!” Ryan exclaimed, looking at him, almost scared.

“He'll be fine. He's breathing normally,” the doctor told him. He took him away from me to go clean him up and I looked back at Izey.

“Hey,” I said touching her hand and she smiled.

“Is he cute?” she asked and I scrunched my nose.

“I couldn't really tell to be honest, he's still covered in that gross stuff. I bet he will be!” I said and she nodded.

“He should be. I hope he looks like you. That would be perfect for you and Ryan,” she said.

The doctor soon brought him back, but he told us that he needed to be under an incubator for now.

“His lungs aren't as developed as we would like, and it's a precaution for premature babies. But for the most part he looks healthy. He's about eighteen inches long, and he weighs five pounds and seven ounces,” she stated, rolling him in so we could look at him.

We weren't allowed to hold him yet, and I know that was killing Ryan. He was staring intently down at the little boy, smiling and I leaned against him.

“He's adorable, Pete,” he breathed out to me and I smiled and nodded.

“Of course he is, he's our baby,” I told him, looking my son over.

He had about a quarter inch of hair that was dark brown covering his head. His eyes were already dark brown, like Izey's but they had my shape.

“He has your nose,” Ryan said and I laughed. The boy stretched and yawned widely.

“Hey! Baby, he has your big mouth!” I said and Ryan stuck out his tongue.

“Why is his arm like that?” he asked the doctor and I noticed it, too. His arm was raised up against his head.

“When he came out, the cord was wrapped around his neck and his arm was up like that with it. That's actually what I think saved him during birth,” the doctor explained and I raised my eyesbrows.

“Wow,” I said, touching his arm softly and bringing it down. It popped right back up and I laughed, making Ryan smile.

“We're probably going to have to work with him in therapy to keep it down. If he'll let you, hold it down for a couple seconds at a time. It'll help him.”

“Can I see him?” Izey asked and the doctor nodded, moving it towards her. She looked down at him and smiled.

“Pete, he looks just like you,” she smiled, searching over his small features. He scrunched up his nose and kicked his legs, for what reason, I don't know, but it was cute.

“So you're saying my kid looks weird?” I asked her and she shook her head.

“He's beautiful!”
♠ ♠ ♠
I liked this. Hopefully I did a good enough job with the whole birth thing, I wasn't sure exactly what to make happen with that. Comments, please?