Status: Finished

But It's Better If You Swear to Shake It Up.

Just a little break.

2 ½ weeks later

Cali's P.O.V.

I walked through the door carrying the bag we had taken to the hospital for Brendon as he walked in after me. He slipped off his shoes and tried taking some stuff out of my hands as though he thought it was too much for me, but I turned away from him before he could grab any of it.

“It's okay, Bren, I got everything. Just go sit down and relax,” I told him walking up the stairs, but he just followed right behind me.

He plopped down on the bed and then reached over and cupped my face in his hands and pecked my lips. “I love you.”

“I love you too.” I mumbled. Tonight, I had decided, would be the night I would talk to Brendon about taking a break. I just hope he doesn't take it the wrong way.

“It was really great of the guys to move my stuff in for me,” He said.

“Yeah, they just wanted to be sure you were comfortable when your came home,” I told him. As long as the comfort lasts.

“What's up with you tonight? You seem really distant,” He asked looking concerned.

“Listen, Bren, I need to talk to you,” I said. I started getting a little nervous as I got closer to this conversation. I had thought of everything I would say, but it had suddenly disappeared and couldn't remember a thing. I was beginning to wonder if it was a bad idea, but I couldn't sit there and think about it for too long. I had already started and I was going to turn back now.

“About what?” He asked a little panicked.

“I-I think it would be best if we slow down a little bit, you know, take a little break,” I said.

“What? Why do you want a break?” He asked. He looked really hurt and it took me everything I was not to breakdown, but that would only complicate things even more.

“It's just a lot for me. I told you I'm not good with change,” I said.

“What's changed? We've been together for three months! The only thing that's changed is you aren't with Travis anymore. And I don't think you want that to happen again, do you?” He asked as he raised his voice a little.

“No, of course. I love you, Bren, I do. But so much has changed for me I need time to adjust, please understand,” I said pleading. I was scared. I know Brendon would never hit me or anything like Travis did, but I guess if it happened to someone as long as I'd dealt with it, you always have that feeling.

“You fucking love me? Then why are you breaking up with me?” He asked.

“I'm not! I just want a little break.”

“How long is a little break, Cali?”

“I don't know. A few days. Maybe weeks.”

“Are you fucking kidding me? Fine, you want a break? Here's your god damn break!” He said walking downstairs and I heard him go towards the door. I jumped from the bed and ran down the stairs.

“Where are you going?” I asked him.

“Ryan's!” He yelled and then left, slamming the door behind him.

After he left I just collapsed on the floor sobbing. This had gone completely wrong. Brendon was totally pissed off at me and I wouldn't blame him for just leaving me himself. This has to be the worst day of my life.

********
Brendon's P.O.V

I couldn't believe what Cali had just told me. What the hell did she mean by, “just a little break”? It doesn't make any sense. Last week she was so happy to be with me and rid of Travis, and now she wanted a break. I didn't mean to go off on her like that, but it really pissed me off.

So now I'm walking down the street in the pouring rain to Ryan's house two streets over. I pulled the arm more under my hoodie in an attempt to keep the bandage on my arm as dry as I possibly could in the downpour. I slowed down as I came to a familiar house and walked up the porch to knock on Ryan's door. He answered quickly.

“Hey, Bren!” He said with a big smile on his face, but that vanished after he saw the look on mine. “Hey, what's wrong? Why are you crying?”

I hadn't even noticed I was until he said that. I furiously wiped at the tears and stepped inside.

“Brendon what happened?” He asked again after I hadn't answered in a few minutes.

“Cali and I had a fight.”

“About what?”

“She wants a break.”

“A break from what?”

“Me,” I said bluntly.

“Okay,” He answered slowly.

“What am I supposed to do, Ry? I love her, and I don't want to lose her, but I totally blew up on her at home,” I said with my head in my hands.

“I know, and she love you too. She was so upset when she thought she lost you. It doesn't make sense, but I know there's a reason for it all,” He told me.

“Well what the fuck is it?”

“I don't know. But I do know everything will work out, you'll see. Now I' going to run over to your house and get you a change of clothes and bandage. Your pretty damn soaked,” He said getting up and grabbing his shoes.

“Okay, I think I'm gonna take a shower. Maybe it'll make me feel a little better,” I said starting to drag myself upstairs.

“Okay. I'll be back,” He said walking out the door.