Status: Finished

But It's Better If You Swear to Shake It Up.

Find your own way back home.

Brendon's P.O.V.

"Hey, Cali, it's me again. I was just wondering where you were... and if you're okay. Like I told you in the other message, I had to go the studio to work on a couple of songs with the guys. So I might not be home when you get there. Call me back, baby, please." I said and hung up the phone. This was the fourth time I had called Cali and gotten the answering machine. She was in such a hurry to get out of the house earlier I didn't even have time to talk to her about what her mom and sister had said, but she seemed really upset. I just hoped she would call and tell me she was okay and didn't go and do anything stupid.

I walked back into the practice space to see Ryan singing his part of the song and sat down, sighing. He finished up and walked over to me, sitting down in the chair beside me.

"What's up, dude? You seem really bummed." He asked.

"I can't find Cali." I told him and he looked at me confused. "She left earlier, like an hour and a half before you called, and now she won't answer her phone and I have no idea where she went."

"Maybe she came home. We have been here for an hour, Bren." He told me.

"Yeah, but that still doesn't explain why she won't answer her phone. I called both the house phone and her cell phone and haven't gotten an answer either place. I'm just worried something might have happen."

"I'm sure she's fine. Call her back in a little while, okay? We gotta get this song down." He said grabbing my hand and helping me up to walk over to where the rest of the guys were.

*************

Cali's P.O.V.

I sighed as I listened to the newest message Brendon had left for me on my phone. I knew I should call him back, but I didn't want him to know where I was, or what I was doing. I was hoping that I would get back to the house before him so I could take a shower and wash away the smell of cigarettes. I lit up another smoke and inhaled, hating myself for what I was doing. I had made a promise to Brendon when we first got together that I would quit smoking, but right now I needed it. I had only smoked three or four anyway.

I looked down from the balcony I was sitting on. I was at my parent's old club. They didn't own it anymore, bought a bigger one somewhere else on the strip and then sold this one. I knew the owner, though. Suddenly a door swung open behind me and someone stepped out.

"Who are you and what the hell are you doing here?" A rough voice asked and I smiled before turning around.

"Relax, Tone, it's me." I answered and he peered into the darkness. "Scotty's daughter. Remember?"

"Mae or Chelsea?" He asked skeptically. He never once had called me by my first name since I met him.

"Cali." I answered and he smiled.

"Good. 'Cause if you were Chelsea, I'd have to throw you out." He answered and I laughed.

"Why, what did she do now?"

"Walked in here with barely any clothes on, then had a bunch of guys hitting on her and almost caused a fight between her hubby and some big guy." I nodded. "So what are you doing out here all by yourself, Miss Mae?"

"Same reason I've always run away. The marvelous Chelsea and mom." I answered.

"What happened this time?"

"Still trying to rule my life and dictate everything I do."

"About what?"

"They just came over this morning, no calls, no warning. And they met my new boyfriend."

"I can see where this is going now. They don't like him, you guys started fighting, and you ran."

"Yup. I just don't understand it. I mean, he's amazing. They barely even talk to him and they already decide they don't like him. Just because they find out he's a rock star, means he's already bad news. But he's so good to me. Shouldn't that just be the important part?"

"Not to your mother. The only thing that matters to your mom is that you marry someone who is successful and will take care of you so she doesn't have to."

"And that's Brendon!" I said sitting up a bit more.

"What band is he in?"

"Panic at the Disco. You know who they are, right?"

"Yeah I know them. They've played here a couple of times. Those are some nice kids." He answered.

"Yeah, and I'm dating the singer. Why can't they just be happy for me? I'm so in love with him. He's sweet, he cares about me, and he's absolutely gorgeous! Where am I supposed to find another guy like that?" I asked putting out the cigarette and placing the pack back in my pocket. If I smoked anymore, I was going to get sick.

"Not many places. Look, follow your heart and don't listen to your mom, or your sister. This is your life, and it's your decision who you spend it with. If you love him so much, then why aren't you with him right now?"

"He's at the studio, and I ran away. Again." I answered quietly.

"So go home. Talk to him. You'll feel better there than you would just sitting out here smoking." He told me and I nodded.

"You're right. Thanks for listening, Tony." I said getting up and giving him a hug.

"Any time, Mae." He said and I turned and walked outside to my car.

**************

Brendon's P.O.V.

I walked through the house to see no sign of Cali. I sighed and walked up to our room, slipping out of my clothes and getting into the shower. I had the same song we had been singing for the last hour we were at the studio stuck in my head, and unwillingly began singing it before it drove me crazy.

"Allow me to exaggerate a memory or two
Where summer's lasted longer than
Longer than we do
When nothing really mattered
Except for me to be with you
But in time we all forgot and
We all grew

Your melody sounds as sweet
As the first time it was sung
With a little bit more character for show
And by the time your father's heard
Of all the wrong you've done
Then I'm putting out the lantern
Find your own way back home

If I've forgotten how to sing
Before I've sung this song
I'll write it all across this wall
Before my job is done
And I'll even have the courtesy
Of admitting I was wrong
As the final words before I'm dead and gone"

************

Cali's P.O.V.

I walked into our room to hear the shower going and Brendon singing from inside the bathroom. I walked to the door but didn't open it. I slid down the wall and listened through the door, closing my eyes to hear the last bit of it.

"You've never been so divine
In accepting your defeat
And I've never been more scared to be alone
If love is not enough to put my enemies to sleep
Then I'm putting out the lantern
Find your own way back home"

I must have fallen asleep because the next thing I knew I was being carried over to the bed. I looked up to see Brendon placing me down and crawling in the bed beside me. He cuddled up to me and smiled when he realized I was awake.

"Hey." He said softly stroking my face.

"Hey." I said. "I'm sorry about running out on you like that earlier."

"It's okay. I heard you guys yelling. I figured you just needed alone time. I was just worried something might have happened when you weren't answering your phone."

"Sorry." I repeated.

"Don't worry about it. You're here now and that's all I care about. I'm even going to ignore the fact that you smell like smoke."

I bit my lip. "For the third time, it's okay. Just don't do it again."

"I'm tired." I told him.

"Go to sleep."

"Sing to me."

"What do you want me to sing?" He asked and I shrugged.

"I don't care. Anything." He thought for a moment before licking his lips and starting to sing.

"When the moon fell in love with the sun
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night

When the sun found the moon
She was drinking tea in a garden
Under the green umbrella trees
In the middle of summer

When the moon found the sun
He looked like he was barely hanging on
But her eyes saved his life
In the middle of summer (summer)

In the middle of summer
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night
Summer (summer)
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night
Summer, summer, summer, summer
All was golden when the day met the night

So he said, "Would it be all right
If we just sat and talked for a little while
If in exchange for your time
I give you this smile?"

So she said, "That's okay
As long as you can make a promise
Not to break my little heart
Or leave me all alone in the summer."

Well he was just hanging around
Then he fell in love
And he didn't know how
But he couldn't get out
Just hanging around
Then he fell in love

In the middle of summer
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night
Summer
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night
Summer, summer, summer, summer
When the moon fell in love with the sun
All was golden in the sky
All was golden when the day met the night

Summer, summer, summer, summer
In the middle of summer,summer,summer, summer
the middle of summer, summer, summer, summer
the middle of summer, summer, summer, summer
In the middle of.."
♠ ♠ ♠
If this chapter is crappy, I'm sorry. I have the flu, so I missed school today and I'm tired.

But.... I GOT THE TICKETS!!!! I'm soo excited!

Songs: "Folkin' Around" and "When the Day Met the Night", both by Panic at the Disco.