Status: Finished

But It's Better If You Swear to Shake It Up.

Your baby's a watermelon?

Cali's P.O.V.

"Cali get up! I can't believe you're still sleeping!" I heard a voice yell as my bedroom door burst open.

"I can," I heard another one mutter.

I rolled over and opened my eyes to see Kara and Izey standing by my doorway.

"What do you guys want?" I asked grumpily as I sat up.

"Well, it's eleven thirty, and my appointment starts at twelve fifteen. What I want is to see your pretty little butt out of bed and dressed in the next half hour," Kara explained and I groaned.

"There's no way of getting out of this now, is there?" I asked, extremely tired as I had just been up tossing and turning all night after Brendon left.

"No, there isn't. Now get up. You promised both Izey and I you would come to our doctor's appointments. Now be the good aunt you will become next month and get your ass out of this bed!" Kara told me and I snorted at her while standing up.

"Well aren't you a moody mommy. I swear, if you're like this tomorrow, Kara, I'll lock you up in the coat room and leave you there until the end of the ceremony," I told her and she rolled her eyes.

"No you won't. Because somebody will find me and come after you, Bridezilla," she told me as she sat down on my bed.

"Whatever. And why do you get to sit down but I don't?" I asked.

"Because my feet hurt, Cali. You're not the one carrying a watermelon in your stomach," she answered as I walked over to my closet.

"Well we told you not to eat the whole damn thing. But of course you don't listen," I exclaimed, grabbing a shirt and yanking Brendon's shirt that I had been sleeping in over my head.

"It's the baby, you retard!" she told me and I stared at her in mock surprise.

"Your baby's a watermelon? Are those the kind of seeds Spencer's shooting? Damn you're screwed!"

"Just shut the fuck up and get dressed," she told me, rolling her eyes and I snickered. I found a pair of jeans and pulled them on, turning towards her and twirling myself in a circle.

"So, do I look okay, your highness?" I asked and she rolled her eyes again.

"Yeah, whatever, let's go," she said, standing up slowly and waddling towards the stairs.

"Aw, Kara! You have your cute pregnant woman waddle now! You look like a penguin!" I called to her once we were down the stairs.

"Shut the fuck up!" she yelled at me, throwing something at me from her purse. I ducked and ran into the kitchen to grab a banana and orange, knowing the baby would get pissed if I didn't eat anything. Which would result in me throwing up and crying against Kara. Again.

"You're awful quiet this morning," I commented to Izey who shrugged.

"It's hard to get a word in edge wise, between the two of you," she told me and I shrugged.

"Sorry. Is there something the matter?" I asked her and she shrugged again. "Are you still upset over this whole maid of honor thing?" She shrugged again.

"I just don't see why I wasn't asked. We have been friends for years," she said and I sighed.

"Yeah, if you consider what we were friends. Kara deserves this position and that's why I wanted her to have it. She's Brendon's sister and she's done so much for me in the past year that I've known her. So just get over it. The wedding is tomorrow and I'm not changing any of my plans," I told her, walking out of the room.

"Come on," I told her and she went to slip her shoes on. Izey just walked the rest of the way to the door and turned around.

"I'm gonna head out early. Don't worry about the appointment, Cali, Pete will probably want to go with me," she told me and I stared at her wide-eyed.

"No, you cannot walk away mad at me today. My wedding is tomorrow and you're not missing it for some stupid disagreement!" I told her and she nodded.

"I'll be there. I'm just gonna go spend some time with Gabe now. Later," she said turning and walking out the door.

"God, she's such a little bitch!" I told Kara and she looked confused.

"What is her problem?" she asked and I sighed.

"She's all pissy because she wasn't asked to be maid of honor," I explained and she nodded.

"Well, if you want to change plans and give the role to he-" she started but I stopped her.

"No! I asked you and I want you to have it! You're doing this, no matter if you like it or not!" I told her and she laughed.

"Okay. Now let's go and get this thing checked out. I think it's gonna pop," she told me, motioning towards her stomach and I laughed.

"I hope not. Come on," I answered, and we walked out the door.

***************

"Hi, Kara. How are you today?" The doctor asked, smiling at both of us as she walked into the room.

"Hello. I'm very good," she answered, smiling back at the doctor.

"Okay, I only have one appointment today, right?" The doctor asked, looking at me.

"Yeah. I'm just here to see how my niece is doing," I told her and she smiled.

"Good, because I have you scheduled for next week," she answered, looking down at her chart. "Okay, so over to you. How are you feeling? Any concerns or pains?" she asked, this time looking towards Kara.

"Nope, no pain. She just loves to kick. And kick and kick," Kara said, rubbing her belly as she sat on the table.

"That's very good. Now, lie back and we'll take a look at her," the doctor ordered. Kara laid back slowly, moving her shirt up so her large, pregnant stomach could be shown. She gave me a strange look when the gel was applied to her stomach and I smiled at her, knowing the cold sensation you got when it contacted your skin. The doctor turned on the monitor to reveal a completely black screen. She grabbed the wand and brought it to Kara's stomach, a white shape taking form on the small screen. "And here she is."

"She got bigger," Kara admired and we laughed at her. "What? She did!"

"Actually I think she's going to be a small little baby girl," the doctor answered and Kara furrowed her eyebrows.

"Really? Is that a good thing?" Kara asked and the doctor nodded.

"It's fine. I'm saying she'll probably be about six pounds and so many ounces. Which is perfectly normal," she explained and Kara nodded.

"Does that mean an easier birth?" Kara asked hopefully.

"It might. The size of the baby doesn't usually matter," the doctor answered and she scrunched her nose.

"Damn," she expressed and I giggled.

"Well let's get some of these shots printed out and you can show Spencer and whoever else you want to," the doctor said, printing out a couple of pictures of the heart, spine, face, and profile.

"Do you need any, like, urine samples, because I gotta go. Bad," Kara asked and the doctor laughed.

"Yeah, actually I do. Here you go. I think you know where it is by now. So go ahead and go really quick," the doctor said handing her a cup.

"Yeah, I'll be right back," she said, standing up and waddling out of the room towards the restroom. She came back a minute later with the cup full and sat back down on the examining table.

"Now I'm gonna have to check and make sure you're not dilating, and then take some blood work, and then you can leave," the doctor explained to her and she groaned.

"Haven't you taken enough blood from my arms? I swear, by the time I have this baby, I'm gonna die of blood loss," she whined as the doctor got the needle out. She let the doctor draw her blood, and then sat back. "How are you going to check if I'm dilated or not?"

"Lay back, and I'll do it," the doctor ordered and she laid back, probably unaware of what the doctor was about to do. I turned away in time to hear her let out a groan and a string of curses.

"That hurt! Why did you do that? Don't ever stick your hand up there again!" Kara yelled and the doctor just smiled.

"It's a precaution to make sure you're not going into premature labor. You're not dilated, so that's a good thing," the doctor explained and she still stared at her like she was crazy.

"Well that's amazing! I figured you would have fucking touched the baby by doing that!" she exclaimed.

"No, I didn't. So you're doing good. You have about another three or four weeks to go. So I'll see you in about two weeks," the doctor told Kara and she nodded.

"Okay, I'll see you then I guess," Kara said, getting up and we walked out the door.

*************

My phone started vibrating in my pocket while I turned the channel onto Disney for Frankie. I pulled it out and answered to have Brendon's wonderful voice answer back.

"What are you doing?" he asked and I shrugged, even though he couldn't see me.

"Sitting here with Kara, trying to entertain my three year old nephew while my sister goes for some weird appointment or interview. What are you doing?" I asked him.

"I am laying here on the couch watching Ryan and Pete make out in the chair. Which isn't as entertaining as it sounds. So I'm petting Hemingway and being jumped by Hobo and Prince every once in a while. I just got back from going to see my niece and nephew. She's adorable," he told me and I smiled.

"That's cute. I wish I could say the same for mine, but he's turning out to be a monster. He keeps running around and only stops to watch television if Hannah Montana or the Jonas Brothers come on," I told him and he laughed.

"So I guess you're having fun then," he said and I laughed.

"Pretty much," I answered. "I was wondering where Prince was. He hasn't been bugging me all day."

"Yeah, I took him with me so he could hang out with the other dogs. Hey, let me talk to Kara real quick," he asked and I nodded.

"'Kay. I love you," I told him.

"Love you, too," he said and I handed the phone to Kara. She started talking and I looked towards my nephew, who was intently staring the TV, but I don't think he was actually paying attention to it. I grab the candy bar I had bought at the store out and opened it.

"Hey, Frankie Jae, I love you," I told him, but he didn't turn around to look at me.

"Huh?" he asked, turning around.

"I said I love you. Do you want a bite of this?" I asked him and he nodded. "Come here."

He got up and walked over to me. I smiled as I held the candy bar out to him. He took a small bite and smiled back at me. "Sit here and we can share the rest," I said, moving my bag so he could climb up and sit. We started up a pattern, he took a bite, then I took a bite. But it didn't seem to last very long with two people eating it. He crawled onto the back of the couch and did a sort of back flip type move off of it. My eyes went wide as he landed on the floor, laughing and sitting there.

"You're insane! Don't do that again, you'll hurt yourself!" I said, grabbing him as he tried to climb back up onto the back of the couch. He continued laughing crazily and I rolled my eyes.

"What are these?" he asked, picking up the ultra sound pictures and turning them upside down, trying to figure them out.

"Pictures," I told him and he scrunched up his tiny nose.

"Of what?"

"My niece," I answered and he nodded.

"Mommy's baby?" he asked curiously and I furrowed my eyebrows.

"No, Kara's baby," I said pointing at her. "Why, is mommy pregnant?" I asked him and he nodded. "How nice!"