Hold On

Have Faith, Restart

Kaylee clung to herself, curled up in the corner of the motel bed. Tears streamed down her face.

Why him? Why did it have to be him?

The previous night had convinced her they would be together forever. But now he was gone. She'd woken up in strange room, completely alone. With a broken heart.

She suddenly stood, her grief turning to anger, and threw a pillow as hard as she could. Not hearing the satisfying sound of something shattering, she reached for another. And another. Nothing broke, but she'd run out of pillows. She sat again and buried her face in her hands.

We don’t have time left to regret (hold on)
It will take more than common sense (hold on)
So stop your wondering take a stand (hold on)
'Cause there's more to life than just to live (hold on)


The empty silence around her was too much.

She threw her disheveled clothes on, grabbed her purse, and ran her hands through her hair as she stormed out of the room.

His car was gone.

She tried to ignore the pang in her heart as her last hope faded, and she immediately headed for the bus stop. She dug for her bus pass in her purse.

"Are you okay, honey?"

Kaylee looked up to see a middle-aged woman watching her with concern in her eyes. She realized she was still crying.

"Yes, I'm fine," she said shortly, trying not to be rude.

'Cause an empty room can be so loud
It's too many tears to drown them out
So hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on


At school, Kaylee kept to herself. After fourth period, she passed him in the hall. He didn't even glance at her.

She could feel the tears coming.

She turned away from the cafeteria and ran toward the meadow, where not many people would be eating. She found a tree and collapsed against it. She tried to suppress her sobs, but wasn't very successful. She felt a presence, someone kneeling next to her in the grass. Her hunch was confirmed when she felt a hand on her knee. She looked up and met the dark blue eyes of Chris Langston.

She and Chris were knew each other because they shared classes. They weren't quite friends, but acquaintances. Right now his eyes were full of friendly concern.

"What's wrong?" he whispered.

She shook her head and he sat next to her. She only continued to cry, so he pulled her to him and let her tears dampen his t-shirt. He didn't say anything. He just let her cry.

One single smile a helping hand (hold on)
It's not that hard to be a friend (hold on)
So don’t give up stand 'til the end (hold on)
Cause there's more to life than just to live (hold on)


In fifth period, she sat two rows behind him. Before, he'd sometimes turned and winked at her. Today, she never got a look at his face. The room was quiet as the teacher spoke, and she could feel something building in her chest, painfully. She glanced to her left and caught Chris's eye. The pain in her chest subsided when she saw Chris smiling at her, his eyes still caring. It felt good to know someone was there.

'Cause an empty room can be so loud
It's too many tears to drown them out
So hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on


After school, as she was heading dejectedly toward the bus, Chris stopped her.

"You don't wanna go home, do you?"

She shook her head.

"But you don't wanna stay here."

She shook her head again.

He glanced to the road. "Walk with me."

Grateful for an alternative, she agreed. They walked in silence for a while.

"You don't have to say anything until you're ready. Hell, you don't ever have to say anything. I just want you to know that I'm here if you ever wanna get it off your chest," Chris said.

She looked up at him. "Thank you," she said genuinely.

When you love someone
And they break your heart
Don’t give up on love
Have faith, restart
Just hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on


They were walking down the main street that ran through town. Chris stopped at the McDonalds and held open the door for her. After considering a moment, she walked into the small building.

"Go sit down," he told her gently, and she did. She watched him walk up to the counter and open his wallet as he told the cashier what he wanted. He came over to where she was sitting with two chocolate-dipped, soft-served ice cream cones.

"I thought you might need a treat," he told her with a soft smile.

She smiled back and said, "Thanks."

They ate in silence, but it wasn't uncomfortable. Kaylee wondered why she and Chris weren't better friends.

When it falls apart
And you’re feeling lost
All your hope is gone
Don’t forget to
Hold on, hold on


"Caleb," she said. Chris looked at her inquisitively. She took a shaky breath and repeated, "Caleb. His name is Caleb."

Chris simply looked at her, with a completely open and trustworthy gaze.

So she continued. "I don't know if you'd ever noticed, but sometimes Caleb and I would flirt in class. Finally, he asked me out. We went to a party Saturday night, and – and ended up in a motel room." She could see grim realization in Chris's face. "I woke up alone. He hasn't even looked at me since." Her voice caught and she figured that was the whole story. She tried to hold back her tears again – those blasted tears – but a few escaped. Chris slid out of his seat and into the one next to her. Again, he held her as she cried into his shirt.

'Cause an empty room can be so loud
It's too many tears to drown them out
So hold on, hold on, hold on, hold on


Kaylee pulled away and dried her eyes. "Thank you," she told Chris. "I really don't know what I'd do without you."

He reached up and wiped away a tear she'd missed.

"You don't deserve to be treated like that."

He hadn't said anything while she was crying, but now, his words healed her, answering the questions she'd be asking herself.

"You are an amazing woman, and something like that should never have happened to you. It's not your fault. That piece of trash missed out on an amazing person, and it's his loss."

She felt like crying again, out of happiness. Her heart had been mended. Or maybe it'd never been broken – just bruised.

When you love someone
And they break your heart
Don’t give up on love
Have faith, restart
Just hold on, hold on


Kaylee and Chris finished their cones, and talked for a while, as they normally would. He joked around and she found herself laughing. She was so glad she could laugh again.

When they left, she almost felt like skipping.

"I'll give you a ride home," Chris offered. She smiled.

In the car, she and Chris sang along to the music he blasted from his car stereo, and Kaylee was still smiling when he pulled up to her house. "Thanks again. For everything."

She'd just about forgotten about Caleb. Or, at least, she'd forgotten as much as she would ever forget. And that was okay. He was just a part of her past, now.

When you love someone
And they break your heart


And life is the present. Chris was in the present.

Don’t give up on love
Have faith, restart


The way he looked at her. The way he made her laugh. Those words he'd said to mend her heart.

Just hold on

She found herself leaning closer.

Hold on

She could feel his lips on hers. A more simple, tender, caring kiss than she'd ever felt.

Hold on

She pulled away. He smiled. "See you tomorrow," he said. She got out of the car, her happiness radiant.

Hold on

And she knew he'd be there tomorrow.