Castle High's After School Horror

Anger and Confusion

Chelsea watches as the Harts pull Mikey up. He releases the grip he'd had on Frank, every inch of him shaking. His face is red and his eyes are lost and empty. There are wet streaks on his face. Chelsea's chest feels tight, watching Mikey. As if she is sharing his pain.

Ray wraps his arms around Chelsea's waist, holding her tight. Chelsea places her arms over his, unbelievably happy to have the poor sap love her the way he did. His chin rests on her shoulder. He nuzzles her neck reassuringly. Mikey falls backward into Macey's arms. Mace wraps her arms around him. Chelsea looks at Gerard, who's eyes are wide. Jealous…?

"This is insane," Bonnie says. She's biting her nail, leg shaking, staring at Frank. "Why would anyone...how could...Christ."

Bonnie looks away from Frank. Gerard approaches Bonnie and incases her in a close embrace. Chelsea shakes her head.

He's so obvious about it. Macey is so oblivious. It's kind of sad.

"Anyone got a signal?" Gerard asks.

Everyone checks. Still no.

"We have to get out of here," Bonnie says, pulling away from Gerard's embrace. Her face is wet with tears and she sounds like she's choking on her words. "W-we have to...go, we c-can't stay...Malone, B-Beth a-and...now Frank? No! We..."

"Stop freaking out, Bonnie," Chelsea says. She doesn't care to reassure her, but she does need to reassure herself. "We'll get out of here just fine."

Bonnie shakes her head. “Th-that's what Frank said to me! Th-that's what Frank said and...and look what happened to him!"

Everyone looks down at Frank. All color is drained from his skin. His face and neck are bloodied. He's motionless, lifeless. Chelsea bites her nail and looks at the ground, holding Ray tighter.

"Well, what are we still doing here?" Mikey says, his voice vacant of all sorrow. Chelsea looks up at him. She sees that he's pulled away from Mace, who's now comforting her sister. Mikey is still shaking, looking down at Frank's body. His face is determined. "Let's go find a way out of here."

He turns away from Frank and walks toward the door. Everyone looks at him, perplexed. He looks back with his hand on the doorknob, waiting. Chelsea feels that strange pain in the back of her head again.

"Well?" he says.

"Mikey..." Mace says softly.

"Let's go!"

Everyone looks around at each other and follow Mikey out into the hall. Chelsea can't take another glance back.

In the hall, they all stand around awkwardly. Chelsea doesn't know how they're gonna get out with all the exits blocked and seemingly no one else on the floor. Is there anyone in the building at all? Other than that murderer? Chelsea shudders.

Ray leans against a locker and Chelsea stands next to him, staring at the door to the art room. She can't get rid of the shaky feeling, knowing three dead bodies are lying around and anyone might be next.

Mikey stands with his arms folded, tapping his foot impatiently and looking at everyone. Gerard is sitting against the lockers. The Harts are hugging each other in that strange way they do. Bob is off to the side, staring at his feet. It's as if everyone's in mourning.

"Are we just going to stand here?" he spits angrily. "Or are we going to get the fuck out of this place?"

"Two minutes ago, you were sad about-" Chelsea starts, temper rising because of Mikey's attitude.

"Don't say it!" Mikey interrupts her, face red with rage. A clap of thunder makes Chelsea jump. Mikey's angry stare shoots to Bob. "Ass hole, give me my gum."

"Excuse me?" Bob says nonchalantly.

"Give me my goddamn gum."

Bob crosses his arms and looks at Gerard. "What do we do now?"

"We stay together," Gerard replies. "And...find something to open an exit with."

"Like what?"

Mikey shocks Chelsea by grabbing Bob by his shirt and pushing him hard against the lockers.

"Give it to me," Mikey says through clenched teeth.

"Get off!" Bob says, grabbing Mikey's wrists and shoving him across the hallway to the opposite group of lockers.

"Bob, don't!" Bonnie whines.

Bob holds Mikey against the lockers by his wrists. Mikey closes his eyes. The red anger in his face washes away with a vigorous shake of his head. Chelsea's headache wanes.

"Bob, he just lost his boyfriend," Bonnie says. "He's upset. Give him his gum."

Chelsea hasn't quite accepted what Bonnie just said. Frank being dead, Mikey being gay... She shiveres and rests her head on Ray's shoulder.

Bob takes a few steps away from Mikey, takes the Orbit out of his pocket, and throws it to Mikey. Mikey catches it and falls to the ground, rolling himself into a ball.

"Thanks," he mutters.

"You're welcome," says Bob.

"I wasn't talking to you." Mikey takes out a piece of gum, unwraps it, and chews the gum fiercely. He rocks himself back and forth. "But I will let you know that you aren't the only one in need of a distraction."

Bob looks confused for a second. Chelsea wonders why.

"Did you say that Frank was Mikey's boyfriend?" Gerard says. Chelsea looks up at him. He looks confused and hurt.

"You didn't know?" Chelsea asks. How amusing.

"No." Gerard's face is full of anger. He stares at his younger brother. "You don't tell me anything, do you?"

"Why would I?" Mikey mutters. He's looking at a wall with a look of anger, disappointment, and confusion. "You don't tell me anything and...I find out. Chelsea knows what I'm talking about."

Chelsea's eyebrows go up. Everyone's looking at her.

"Are we gonna find a way out of here?" she says, innocently.

"Yes," Gerard says quickly, giving the Harts a nervous glance. "Let's get going."

He agreed with the subject change real easily. Chelsea knows why. And Mikey knows, too. Mace is probably the only one that doesn't. She grabs Gerard's hand and they head in front of the group down the hall. Chelsea sees Mikey steal a glance at the art room. He sighs and walks up next to Chelsea. For just a moment, Chelsea gets a strange feeling of sympathy for Mikey. She never usually cares for anyone. She soothingly touches his arm. His only reaction is a tiny smile.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm hinting so subtly that I'm sure none of you have figured it out. All (most) will be answered next chapter. (Brace yourselves.)

Obviously, I broke my "every other day" promise. Sorry. I've got school, you know?

Comments are cool. <3