Status: THANKS FOR THE 10 STARS! Like the new layout? ;]

Going Alone

o48.

“I can’t believe this shit!” Alex ran his fingers through his hair while pacing my apartment floor.

“Alex, can you at least tell me why you’re here?” I asked, closing my eyes and laying down on my couch.

“I got the test back.” He paced faster.

“Yeah? And it said…”

“It’s the only test I ever passed!” He whined, “I passed the only test I ever wanted to fail!”

“Okay, asshole,” I rolled my eyes behind my eyelids, “You don’t pass a paternity test. Secondly, I’m sure you passed plenty of other tests in your lifetime.”

“Just let me have this moment!” He whined again, falling on the floor dramatically.

I sighed and rolled onto my left side, hoping that Alex wouldn’t be this dramatic all the time. I heard him flop around on the floor, as if he was having a seizure, and whine like a child. Grabbing onto the nearest pillow, I chucked it at him, only to have it miss him entirely and hit the clock behind him. As I huffed in defeat, I threw myself back down on the couch and groaned.

------------------------------

“Hey, uh, are you free tonight?” Jack asked as soon as I answered the phone.

“Jack, I’m not going to date you.” I chuckled.

“Damn, okay… I’ll call you later.” There was a moment of silence, “Just kidding, I wasn’t calling about that. We’re throwing Alex a party.”

“Why?” I threw my head back in confusion.

“Because he’s now officially a dad!”

“And you’re throwing him a party…”

Jack sighed, exasperated, “Yes, we already went over this.”

“I just don’t get it.”

“Whatever, you don’t have to get it, just be at my house at 7.”

----------------------

I was officially ready for this party. My hair was pinned up with bobby pins and my face had a light dusting of foundation. I wore my cutest maternity pants and a flattering top that was orange in color. My plush flats clacked against my hardwood floors as I made my way towards my front door. I raced down to my car, which is now installed with a car seat, and leisurely made my way to the Barakat-Gaskarth residence. I noticed the driveway and side walk was littered with cars as I parallel parked on the opposite side of the road.

“You made it!” Jack smiled as I walked into their house.

The party wasn’t that I was expecting; there was no alcohol or loud music. Instead, it was filled with middle aged people and lightly-colored gift wrapped presents. Alex was sitting on the floor, with a light blue box in hand. I looked around awkwardly at all the people and waved a small hello.

“You must be Mae.” A very old lady smiled at me.

“Uh, yeah.” I adjusted my top.

“I’m Mary, Alex’s grandmother.”

“Hi.” I shifted my weight onto my left foot and ran my fingers through my hair.

“Come sit down.” Olivia smiled at me.

I walked as delicately as I could over to Olivia and sat down daintily. Alex’s eyes went back to the present he was unwrapping. There was a pile of discarded wrapping paper behind him, and a small pile of gifts to his left. He tossed the wrapping paper off of the present and looked at it dumbly.

“What is this?”

“Um, it’s a baby bath.” I said quietly to him.

“Why can’t I just bathe him in the bathtub like normal people?”

The room instantly filled with tension as it got quiet. I looked down at my hands.

“Uh, Alex, honey.” His mother smiled sweetly, “You can’t bathe babies in the bathtub because they’re too small.”

“Uh, okay…” He said slowly, trying to comprehend the concept.

“Thank you Martha.” Olivia covered for Alex, “It’s a very thoughtful gift.”

----------------------

“Did you already have the baby?” Martha asked me.

I watched her cheap, pink-lipstick covered teeth as she talked. Her graying hair was up in a high bun, with a few stands coming down in the front. I tried to repress my ill thoughts, but it wasn’t working as well as I hoped. She smelled of cheap alcohol and motel rooms. Her frumpy red sweater did nothing for her figure.

“Yeah.” I smiled.

“You look tiny!” She exclaimed, “Lucky.”

I looked around the room. Everyone was broken up into small groups and scattered around the room. Olivia and her mom were discussing something very animatedly near the food table while Jack and Alex were leaning against his door frame, watching everyone.

“Uh, I went into labor prematurely…”

“How early?”

“Like a month.” I nodded, forcing myself not to roll my eyes, “That’s why he isn’t here now.”

“Oh, I’m so sorry. Is he going to be okay?”

“For now.” I sighed, “Excuse me, I have to go to the bathroom.”
♠ ♠ ♠
I know, three days late! Anyways, uh, I'm starting a new story. I made the layout and stuff, just not any chapters. It's called 'Further Than All The Stars,' I think. Uh, check up on it in the next week.