Status: Completed!

Living with a Heartache

Chapter Twenty-One: Being on top

Patrick’s POV

I flinched violently as Alex grabbed a layer of my skin and bit my lip in order to mute out the loud cry that was about to escape my mouth.

“Hey Penelope, come over here and I’ll lay down some songs for you,” I gulped as Alex and Kyle both gave me knowing looks and smirked. Penelope seemed oblivious to the thick atmosphere she was just injected in as she smiled radiantly at me and glided over to me.

I tried to contain my inner self from exploding as Penelope came over to my side and looked at me. She smelt like wild berries, and it tingled my senses.

“So, I’ll pick out a song for you- or you can choose on from my stack of music sheets here and then you can play one of your choice of mind, okay?” I asked- watching Penelope chew on her lip. She flipped through my papers as I mindlessly fumbled with my belt strap- until I shoved my free hand inside my pocket.

“Here’s my guitar, I assume Patrick wants us to run through on of the songs together as a real band first so he can check you out,” quipped Alex as she handed Penelope her guitar- which was already plugged in already to go. Penelope smiled in acknowledgement as I glared at Alex for her choice of words.

Penelope flipped through a word as I started moving my torso back and forth- nervously waiting for her to make up her mind. Alex was having small talk to Kyle and they tried their best not to look bored.

Finally Penelope sighed and blew her fringe out of her face and I bit my lip- I had fallen so hard this time, I hope I don’t hit the ground faster.

“I don’t know, how about Therapy?” she replied as she smiled weakly at everyone else. Alex returned her doubtful look with a friendly smile and I felt a rush of affection for my best friend- always count on them to make the atmosphere friendlier.

“Sure, we haven’t tried Therapy by All Time Low before, so if it works out, it could be start of something,” Alex replied. Penelope giggled and put the guitar strap over her body and got ready. I sighed and got myself comfortable on the floor- there wasn’t a need for my bass on this one, then again even if there were a need for one, I couldn’t do it. It was broken.

“Ready, Kyle’ll count us off,” Alex smiled as she got ready with her microphone. Kyle smiled and winked at Penelope and as he saw me roll my eyes he raised his eyebrow at me.

“Okay,” Penelope replied, bitting her lip nervously.

Kyle sat on his bench, clutching a tambourine, reading to time them off.

“One and two, and one two three,” he horsed as he counted off each beat with a firm shake of his tambourine.

As the song charted off into progression, Penelope’s eyes faded from her usual cheeky brown and was shrouded over with a thin layer of concentration. Her fingers flew all over the threats of the guitar, hitting each note with perfection and precision. Alex was thoroughly enjoying herself as her eyes were casted towards Penelope as her voice came out more or less pitch perfect. It happened when she wasn’t paying attention.

I crossed my legs over each other as I let myself be engulfed by Alex’s deep mellow voice- hearing it soar over the high parts of the song and then watched Penelope as she backed the whole song up perfectly with her plucking and strumming. I hadn’t realized I was smiling to myself until the song faded gently with the progression of Penelope’s plucking and she looked up, bit her lip and smiled at me.

“Great!” roared Kyle as he jogged over to me and ruffled my hair.

“She could be the one,” he whispered.

“Yeah, she could,” I replied back, not taking my eyes off Penelope as she ran her hand through her hair as Alex gushed to her about how good the song went.

Alex’s POV

Penelope was great, she wasn’t just great- she was amazing! It was wonderful to finally forget about my fingering and strumming throughout a song and just stand and let the lyrics course out of me and into the microphone.

“You ready for your solo time?” I asked as Penelope looked a little flushed. She paled a little then relaxed as she looked at me.

“Yeah, I hope so. It’s time you got to see how crazy I can,” she laughed as she rested her hand over the guitar.

“Then good luck, I’ll join the others as audiences,” I winked as I sat myself down next to Patrick.

“Alright girlie, it’s your time to shine! Watcha doing now?” Kyle asked. Penelope thought for a moment before telling us that she would be doing her self-penned guitar solo which was based on Orianthi’s According to You. Patrick looked impressed, but held back.

“Alright, you may begin,” answered Patrick, trying to even out his voice as much as he could. I smiled at Penelope, trying to ease the tension. She smiled gratefully then launched into a soft mellow tune. Her notes hung and sizzled in the air after every beat, and Penelope closed her eyes as her body trembled with each note. The notes of her guitar started to climb and accelerate, and all of a sudden the once beautiful and soulful verse exploded into an exciting piece of music.
Penelope’s fingers flew across the guitar- flying at incredible speed, as the guitar followed her fingers and produced climbs and falls in her music. It was impossible to describe how exciting and emotional Penelope’s guitar solo made me feel- but it was good. Very good.

Apparently everyone thought so, because after Penelope was done and was breathing slightly hardly, we all stood up and gave her a standing ovation.

“Damn girl, I don’t give a damn what Patrick’s gonna say, but you’re in,” murmured Kyle as I nodded in agreement. Patrick smiled and nodded.

“You sure are,” he smiled stuck out his hand towards Penelope. Instead of shaking it, Penelope squealed and gave him a hug- which totally caught Patrick off guard as he stumbled and fell to the ground. Me and Kyle looked away, to give a little privacy. You know how lovers can get, so very touchy.

Patrick’s POV

Penelope let out a soft little ‘oof’ as she landed on me. I blinked in surprise and caught my breath to see that Penelope was pressed on top of me. She was so cute, it was hard to believe I hadn’t heard of her before.

“Oh my, I’m so sorry,” she said trying to get up.

“No, it’s okay. Plus you’re really good you know, I haven’t seen a girl like you in a long time,” I whispered. I had no idea why I was lowering my voice, but something about Penelope just made me do so. Penelope froze, just inches away from my face.

“Well, I haven’t seen a guy like you too,” she replied smiling at me.

“Guess I’m a lucky man bringing you to the prom,” I said.

“I’m lucky too,” she murmured into my ear as she heaved herself up.

Wow. I pushed myself off the floor and flashed Penelope a smile, she blushed and smiled back.

“Are you guys done yet?” came Kyle’s voice as he and Alex were silently facing the wall. I rolled my eyes and kicked his shin, causing him to fall.

“Love-sick kids,” he murmured.