Status: Completed!

Living with a Heartache

Chapter Twenty- Three: Pull me closer

Alex’s POV

I got off the bus and was walking into the rows of houses lining on my street- Natasha Bedingfield’s ‘If you’re gonna Jump’ blaring into my ears from my earphones.

“Alex!” I ignored the voice which shouted out to me, because I hate it when I have to pause a song that I’m enjoying halfway and then continue it later on.

I heard a faint patter of feet as I continued walking down the street- the song was coming to an end already, that person could wait. Suddenly, two hands came up from behind me and yanked my earphones off. I whirled around, enraged- only to be met with Patrick’s smirk and Brian’s green eyes.

“What the hell, you guys suck, I was in the middle of a song,” I cursed as I grabbed my earphones back.

Patrick smiled sincerely at me, then he smirked.

“How was the dresses with Jessica?” he asked as he poked my ribs.

“It was stupid and boring, how was your mano-a-mano time with Brian?” I asked, my eyes flitting over to Brian, not willing to look at him.

“It was great! We learned a LOT from each other,” Patrick’s eye brows jiggled at the word ‘LOT’. Brian narrowed his eyes at Patrick and shifted about uncomfortably while he was walking. I wondered what that was about as I eyed them both suspiciously. As we passed by Mrs. Lindy’s house- she suddenly bounded out of her front door like a five year old.

“Hi Patrick honey! I just ran down to Annie’s house to borrow her son’s suit for you!” she exclaimed. Brian stifled a laugh while I glared accusingly at Patrick.

“You got Mrs. Lindy to get you a tux? You ass!” I muttered. Patrick shrugged and replied.

“She offered to do it for me, seeing how I’m her son now and she loves me a lot. Plus, seeing how I told her you don’t seem to have any ideas on a dress- she said she had just the thing for you too,”

“WHAT?” I rasped.

“Alexandra honey, come in. I have something for you,”

“No, no it’s okay Mrs.Lindy. I-“

“I insist! Hurry now dear,” Mrs. Lindy said in enthusiasm.

“Go Alex, I’ll make sure Patrick doesn’t go do anything stupid,” Brian whispered as he nudged me forward. I glanced back at him doubtfully as I hesitantly made my way up the porch of Mrs. Lindy’s house. What if Mrs. Lindy gave me a dress which looked like something from the Victorian times? What If it was like a pale mustard colour with frilly and long sleeves. Then I would have to do my hair high like a beehive. I shuddered at the very thought, also reprimanding myself for judging Mrs. Lindy.

“So I found this old dress my Dad gave to me when it was my first dance. Ah that time, I remembered swaying in the very same arms of my dead husband. It was all so romantic. Until, he died of course,”

“Uh-“ I stammered, looking around.

“Anyway, it was a lovely dress. It was a little colder from where I used to study at so it was long sleeved and everything. Very classy,” I gulped. I knew it, Mrs. Lindy was going to make me wear a Victorian dress. I was ready to bolt out of the door before Mrs. Lindy suddenly took a firm hold of my hand and dragged me into one of her rooms.

“I know what you’re thinking young lady. I’ve seen what young girls wear these days- showing almost their full naked little booties. I sort of, edited the sleeves a little, shortened it,” Mrs. Lindy practically read my mind as she relieved my thoughts the instant she said she edited the sleeve. But I wasn’t willing to show even half my bare neck yet alone my ‘bootie’. I hope she didn’t go too far.

“Well, here it is,” Mrs. Lindy shrugged as she threw open a closet door. I stared at the dress in front of me. The sleeves looked short and awkward. But the length of the dress was perfect as it reached just half-way down some one’s calf and there were satin flowers stitched onto the chest area of the dress. The person who wore the dress would look as if they were wearing a chain of finely intertwined blood droplets as the dress was a lovely and warm red. There were folds and intercrosses of the fabric at the waste area- enhancing the hour-glass shape for a lady.

“So, what do you think?” Mrs. Lindy asked as she admired her handy-work. I didn’t want to break it her about the sleeves, but they looked horrible on the dress. I’d rather bare my shoulders than wear the sleeves.

“Well. I think the sleeves look a little…” I trailed off, biting my lip as I looked at Mrs. Lindy. She busied herself and fetched a measuring tape from a random closet.

“Thank god you reminded me dear. I was going to get rid of the sleeves, but I need to get your chest size to make it like what do the kids call it? Boob top?” I chuckled slightly.

“Tube-top Mrs. Lindy,” I corrected. She grunted in acknowledgement as she wound the measuring tape around my chest again and again. I was in her palms, I had no control and I couldn’t run off because she had a grip on me.

I faintly heard a soft knock then a voice wafted through the air into my ears like music.

“Mrs. Lindy? Patrick sort of ate a tuna sandwich with his suit on and now he smells like a fish tank,” came a voice as the person opened the door. I froze as I turned around. My eyes met with Brian’s for an instance and I saw an unfamiliar flicker of emotion run past his eyes.

Mrs. Lindy clucked her tongue furiously and pattered her way out of the room- handing the tape which was still around my waste to Brian. I was unknowingly dragged forward and I ended up 2 inches away from Brian’s face.

Brian’s POV

She gave a small gasp of surprise- it was inaudible, but I heard it. I bit my lip, staring at her eyes awkwardly. Instead of hastily backing up, Alex glanced back up into my eyes and smiled a small smile. Out of the thumping of my chest I managed to smile back.

“So, found yourself a date yet?” she whispered.

“Unfortunately, my fat ego didn’t save me this time,” I joked, my voice under much pressure.

“I see you found a dress,” I muttered looking at her, trying hard not to imagine her dancing with Sam together.

“It’s perfect pretty boy. Now back up, we’re too close,”
♠ ♠ ♠
I just came back from training camp. Please excuse my sloppiness.