Status: Completed!

Living with a Heartache

Chapter Twenty-Eight: Saviour

Brian’s POV

Shards of glass flew everywhere, just my luck as I managed to snag one from behind me. I wedged it in between my thumb and my index finger and quickly tried to loosen the nylon threads by poking it in-between the twirls of the nylon rope.

I fumbled with the sharp piece of glass as I felt it slice across my skin numerous times, sending jolts of painful stings through my arm. But I couldn’t afford to stop now, because I knew Alex was suffering from where she was and I held in the burning urge to cry as I felt helpless and fearful.

Finally I felt the pressure on my hands release as the ropes sprang open and I pulled them forcefully apart. I untied my legs and silently made my way to Alex whose breathing was unsteady and hard. Her forehead was tainted red with scarlet blood as it trickled down her face. Her hands hung limp by her side as she took in hard and painful gasps of breaths and judging from the way her nose was bleeding slightly, it seemed like David had dealt her with a pretty hard slap. I heaved her almost lifeless body onto my legs as I supported her bleeding head up, careful not to let it jerk forcefully backwards.

Her eyes were clouded with blood and fear as I used one of my free hands to gently sweep the blood off her face- not caring if my hand came up tainted red.

“Alex, Alex. Wake up, talk to me,” I whispered softly as she looked blankly at me. I bit my lip, as I knew she was in this state partly because of her not wanting to see me hurt again. She went through all this, just for me. The hole in my heart was even bigger than it had been; I was close to losing her already.

“Brian?” she murmured as one of her limp hands flew up to my face. How could she be caring about me as this point of time? I exhaled, my breath shaky as I felt her hands travel to my hand which was marked with cuts from the wine glass.

“I’m okay Alex, we gotta get outta here,” I spoke softly, cradling her as I stood up. Alex put both arms around my shoulder as I treaded silently out into the dark streets, shifting the chair a little to make a convincing noise that we were still trapped back there.

“Those kids still trapped back there, struggling I suppose,” came a slow drawl of a voice followed by a loud guffaw of laughter and clinking of glass. I treaded out of the area before bursting into a frantic brisk walk with Alex hanging limply in my arms, occasionally tightening her grip around my neck due to the pain which was travelling like shock waves through her.

“Alex, come on, talk,” I commanded as I watched her eyes flit around in a daze.

“What do you want me to say?” she whispered.

“Anything, just to distract you from passing out,”

“Oh okay…” she trailed. I shook her slightly and she gave a slight groan and looked at me.

“Talk dammit,” I commanded. Alex gave a faint chuckle before falling silent again.

“You said you loved me,” she said finally, her head moving up and down on my chest due to the constant movement I was in.

“I did,” I replied. Words seemed to run dry in my mouth already as I concentrated to get Alex towards school before the crazy drunkards found out we were gone.

“I’m so sorry,” she uttered, as she groaned slightly and tightened her grip on me. I felt tears seep through my eyelids and felt them slid slowly down my cheek. She must be in so much pain, and here she was apologizing for what she did to me.

“None of it matters now, its okay,” I croaked. I felt her chest heave heavily as she took in another sharp breath.

“Yes it does Brian. I’ve been such a … bitch,” she muttered, her voice musky and barely audible. Suddenly, a bright light came up next to us as a black SUV stopped next to us and a lady rolled down the window. She was middle-aged and her hair was done up into a neat bun.

“Oh my god, are you two okay?” she asked as she got out of the vehicle and cluttered over to where we were.

“N…no, we just go kidnapped by these drunk men and they smashed a bottle onto her head and she’s in pain, so please get her to the hospital,” I gushed, as my legs started to give way from the lethargy I was in. She hastily opened the back door and helped me get Alex as I got in after her. Alex’s eyes were already closed and her head fell limp and landed on my shoulder as I shifted slightly to ease her pain.

I was struck with a sudden wave of déjà vu as I remembered that time when we were in the hospital and Alex had fallen asleep on my shoulder. Only now I didn’t know if she was asleep or out cold. My blood rushed through my head, sending another wave of dull pain through my skull.

“Yes, yes dear. I’m sorry I’ll be there as fast as possible. Hurry up, there’re two kids I saw and they need to get to the hospital,” muttered the woman into her phone. I was shocked, as she was a parent of a student in our school.

“Your kid has a prom tonight?” I asked, barely able to keep my eyes open.

“Yeah, I’ll be getting her and her date over. I hope you don’t mind, I told them to get in as fast as possible,” she replied. I nodded as she pulled up at the gate of the school and the front door opened and in rushed a girl with a yellow dress and when she turned around to see who was occupying the back seats, she gasped as I realized whose dress it belonged to.

“My god! BRIAN?! What the hell happened?”

Patrick’s POV

I was shocked when I got into the back seat of Penelope’s mum’s car and I saw Alex’s red dress sitting beside me.

“What?” I spluttered as I eyed my unconscious friend whose face was bloodied and flaked with dried blood.

“You’re dad’s crazy friends,” Brian muttered tiredly as he looked back at me. My heart filled with fear and anger as I gripped Alex’s cold hand.

“No,” I replied as I felt tears start in my eyes as I stared at Alex’s pale bloodied hand.