Status: Completed!

Living with a Heartache

Chapter Six: Debate

Alex’s POV

“Now send a representative from each of your groups to the front of the class to debate on whether it is advisable for Entertainment Groups to produce movies which explicitly shows the lives of well-recieved sorority girls,” ordered Miss Kim, our Language Arts teacher. Immediately, there was a drag of chairs as the representative of the opposing teams stood up and made their way up to the class.

“Okay, Group One we have Amanda,” said Miss Kim, as she gestured to the ever so sponataneous girl.

“Group two we have Lisa,” continued Miss Kim.

“Group three, we have the ever loud and charming Kelsey,” chimed Miss Kim, with a hint of warning in her voice. She turned to my group with a disapproving look and clucked her tongue.

“Hurry up, we don’t have all day…”

“Who who?”

“I don’t know!”

“Come on Jenny, go!”

“Nono, Alex! Kelsey’s up there it’s time to wage war the literary way!”

“GROUP FOUR!” roared Miss Kim, reluctantly I pushed back my chair as I made my way to the front of the class to stand next to Kelsey with my group’s points scribbled on a piece of paper. I felt the class tense up as they saw who was going to be up against Kelsey. I could practically feel the thickness of the air melting around me.

“Okay, who wants to start first?”

Kelsey cleared her throat loudly and looked expectantly at Miss Kim, who in turn gave a small eye roll.

“Alright, Kelsey, state your stand,”

“I totally agree with the statement that lives of sorority girls should be showed on public
screens!” she quipped and laughed to herself, earning a bout of giggling from her group, and her group only.

“And which groups oppose to her statement?” Both Amanda and Lisa backed down, meaning that they either agreed with that ridiculous statement or they were neutral.

“Alright, Alexa and Kelsey, keep this clean of vulgarities and other unnecessary things. Since Kelsey you volunteered, you start,” Miss Kim said

Kelsey gave a dramatic inhale of air, and began.
“Firstly, everyone knows that the definition of Sorority would be a group of girls, mostly in college. However, with the term well-received, these girls are the more welcomed people in their school. Usually these girls are portrayed as the more beautiful, and well. Have more friends technically. Whereas portraying their lives on screen would just further emphasize how college would appeal to girls with potential. Their fun-loving attitude, the freedom they have and how they use their time would provide an insight to the real world on how much potential their kids have in leading a whole new life in college,”

I don’t know what others thought of that opening statement, but I thought it was pure bullshit.
Kelsey stared at me expectedly, intimidating me oppose her stand.

“Well, Kelsey. I noticed that you failed to notice that not all people in the world are well-off enough to head to colleges where they can frolic around and become what you call people who are ‘portrayed as the more beautiful ones” I could hear soft murmurs coming from my group, because that wasn’t the points the penned down onto the paper. What they penned down on the paper was ‘Bad influence’.

“Also, not all people will study and admire the lives these girls lead in college. Haven’t you realized, these movies usually emphasize mostly on their wild behavior in school. It usually highlights how these teenagers take advantage of the lack of parents, the increase of boys and other benefits of being in college and these movies usually end up with these girls meeting their pitfalls,” I heard my group fall silent, maybe they thought I was going to branch slowly into the point of ‘Bad influence’.

I observed Kelsey as she took a hefty breath in and faked her stage presence as she used a little laugh to mask her thinking. After like, 5 seconds, she retorted back.

“That, I have to disagree with. These girls don’t always meet their pitfalls. They still remain as the ones with good looks, popularity, and usually a new stead to make out with,” she replied, sneaking a look at her posse, who nodded on with much enthusiasm. I rolled my eyes and continued.
“Well, these girls usually have to go through a lesson of some sort for them to realize that they do have flaws. Maybe that some of them have hostility issues? Or are so perfect that masked murderers want to come after them? Maybe you’ve forgotten Kelsey,” I stared her straight in the eye for effect and continued, “Movies always have a climax, and problem to solve. And usually these problems bear within them a philosophic lesson, no matter how dense or shallow the movie is. So, in my final standing, I do not agree that that lives of sorority girls should be showed on public screens. Because, who knows what the unruly behaviour of these girls would do to the children of tomorrow? Make them walk around on the streets with nothing but a towel? Maybe it is acceptable to you due to your standing agreement, but I don’t think I’m ready to see any naked people around anytime of the day,” and with that I ended my seemingly long speech.

I saw Kelsey’s eyes had a fleet of distaste and disgust, as she scanned her team for any more points. The air was tense and quiet, as Miss Kim looked at Kelsey in anticipation. Some of the class boys whooped as the intense debate came to an end, Kelsey smiled her 'winning' smile at them, while I just looked down.

“Alright girls, that’s enough already, I don’t want you two to take up the whole lesson!” chirped an exasperated Miss Kim. Wordlessly, I left the front of the class and shrank to the back with my group. I heard Kelsey whispering to her group some really, really dense things about me. Then they did a silent high five like those kids who just found out that they got a little more of the candy that they deserved.

“Ignore them,” said Jessica, who shot them a look of disgust.

“Yeah, okay. Thanks for that,” I replied to the whole of my group in sarcasm.

“Naw Alex, you beat the shit out of Kelsey,”

“MR. LIONEL! No profanities should be heard anywhere during class!” screamed Miss Kim.
Our group had a short period of laughter, then was shushed by the whole class. At least it was over, I thought to myself as I sank back into my seat- morphing back to the surroundings, as invisible as I once was.