Boy Like Me.

Thirty-Two

Ryan sat still on the yellow-green colored grass. His back was up against the smooth trunk of the plum tree. When he was younger he remembered his mother always loved plum trees. He had his eyes closed as he tried to picture his mother and father. Every Christmas they would make hazelnut plum cake and plum clafouti. Those memories were blurry though he remembered them, but not perfectly.

His eyes came open and stared at his stretched out legs down to his tattered black Vans. The sun broke through the levels above speckling his face with light. The snow was in patches around the area covering up the dying grass and bare trees. Ryan remembered he walked for most of the night, but he didn't remember where he went.

Running his hands over his face and through his messy hair he let his hands slide back into the pockets of his jacket to keep warm. He looked around and found himself to be alone aside from a few hundred stones. Ryan closed his eyes and shook his head.

"I've been down for a long time now," Ryan told himself as he stood up and used the tree to support himself. Slowly he started walking just putting one foot in front of the other. About fifty steps away from the tree he stopped and turned falling onto his knees. "Hey guys." He spoke softly trying to fight the tears threatening to fall, how much he needed them.

Two marbled blue colored stones with printed words before him. The names printed: Susanna Forster and Lawrence Forster. His hands gently traced the name of his mother and then moved to the other to trace his fathers.

Whenever he was scared and hurt he'd run here to his parent's graves. "Beloved mother, daughter, and sister, you're love shall always be with us." Ryan read under his mother's name. Swallowing hard he looked to his fathers. "Beloved friend, brother, father, and neighbor." Ryan smiled at the words remembering his father; he was a good man and a hero in his eyes. What he would give just to see him again and spend another day with him.

Gravel crunched from behind and Ryan slowly looked to his right. Benjamin stopped walking holding two cup of Starbucks coffee. He smiled weakly at Ryan who slowly stood up and turned to him. Benjamin knew Ryan wasn't ready to talk, nor was he ready to talk. However it was just a relief to him that Ryan was alive and well.

Benjamin held out one of the cups. Ryan sighed softly and reached out for the cup. He smiled weakly at Benjamin. Putting the cup to his lips he took a long sip letting the hot liquid awaken his body.

"You don't have to come home," Benjamin said and Ryan looked to him. "I wish you would though." Ryan snorted looking away from Benjamin.

"Don't count on it." Ryan muttered under his breath crossing his arms across his chest. Nodding in understanding Benjamin smiled weakly at Ryan who was still looking away from him.

"I know you're mad." Benjamin said and Ryan let out a sarcastic laugh.

"No, I'm past mad, I'm so far past the line of mad it is a dot." Ryan hissed and Benjamin sighed softly. This would be no easy task to earn Ryan's trust again. Had Benjamin been in Ryan's shoes though, he'd understand. If Benjamin were Ryan, he'd never forgive him. Ever.

"I'm so sorry Ryan." Benjamin said looking down at the ground as if he was ashamed of himself, which he partly was. Ryan looked at Benjamin and scowled shaking his head.

"Don't." Ryan snapped and Benjamin looked up at him.

"Don't what?" Benjamin asked him their eyes meeting. Ryan clenched his free hand and then tossed the Starbucks cup on the ground. The coffee flew everywhere and Benjamin closed his eyes slowly.

"Don't fucking pull the guilt trip shit, because it's not going to work!" Ryan growled and Benjamin nodded in understanding.

"I'm not-"

"Don't!" Ryan shouted once again and Benjamin jumped slightly. This was all the rage that he had been holding inside himself. It was finally coming out of him and letting all that tension vanish. "I don't care if you're sorry, I don't care!" Ryan yelled before spinning around and running away. Benjamin almost ran after him, but he stopped himself. Chasing him would only make things worse. It hurt though, Benjamin felt this prang of hurt and disappointment spear right through his chest.

Benjamin looked at the two gravestones. He knelt down before them and placed a hand on each one. His eyes got a bit blurry as the tears started to fog his vision. Ryan was like a son to him and it hurt him to know he was in pain and mad at him. It was unlike any pain he'd ever experience.

"What do I do?" Benjamin asked softly sniffling a bit looking at the names on the stone. "How do I help him?"

-&-

"Hello?" Liam answered the phone his voice scratchy and tired.

"Liam," Benjamin said and Liam's eyes widened. "Ryan's okay, but he won't come home." Benjamin explained and Liam fell down onto the couch. He wished he never brought it up and just kept his mouth shut.

"Where is he?" Liam asked softly.

"I don't know," Benjamin paused for a moment like he was trying to think of where he'd go. "He ran away when I tried to talk to him." Liam nodded understanding. He felt like it was his fault that Ryan left, when it really wasn't.

"I'm sorry Benjamin." Liam apologized.

"Don't be," Benjamin told him. "I should have been the one to tell him and I should have done it a long time ago. Don't blame yourself Liam, this was bound to happen." Benjamin explained.

"There has to be something we can do." Liam said trying to think of a solution.

"I have to get him home first," Benjamin spoke up and Liam remained silent still trying to think. "I just wanted to tell you he was okay, physically at least. I'll call you if anything changes." Benjamin said and Liam thanked him. After saying their goodbyes they hung up.

"There has to be something." Liam told himself placing the phone back down in its cradle. He stood up and ran for his room. He sat down on his computer chair and opened up his laptop.

He clicked on the e-mail icon and found his uncle's e-mail to him about the Harvey's. They lived in Caldwell, Idaho. Liam knew what to do.
♠ ♠ ♠
No comments, no update.

New story, check it out: Only You Could Love Me This Way

-Mimi