Boy Like Me.

Thirty-Six

The first day back at school. Christmas break was interesting to say the least. Liam felt like he had been trapped on a roller coaster and wouldn't be able to get off. He didn't hear from Ryan, Rahne, or Benjamin since Christmas day. But Liam assumed everything was all right.

He explained to Matt and Ashley the happenings over the holidays. Both of them were surprised and showed him pity. He didn't want the pity, from anyone. Kendrix was well aware of that and hadn't said a word about it. Everything was slowly falling back into place, with the exception of Ryan. A good friend, a boyfriend (possibly), someone that he just couldn't seem to have.

Liam aimlessly walked down the hallway. Everything was passing in a blur, the people, the sounds, and the buildings. He just wanted to be left alone in his room. Kendrix told him he had to move on. But he didn't want to move on. It was selfish of him; he knew it was wrong for him. Wallowing away in his own self-pity. Liam didn't even need to feel that way, in the end Ryan got what he wanted. That was the least Liam could say for himself. In a course of five months, Liam's life had gone from decent, good, amazing, and now rock bottom. Possibly even past rock bottom.

Kendrix, Ashley, and Matt were all sitting at the table. They were all laughing and talking about their vacations. It was hard to see them so happy, but Liam knew that they shouldn't suffer because he was. He drug his feet on the concrete ground that was wet from melting snow. His head hang between his shoulders and his hair shaded his face.

"How are you holding up?" Kendrix smiled upon seeing her brother. He stopped at the table and dropped his stuff on it. Ashley frowned at his pale face and Matt shook his head.

"You know that thing saying bad things happen to good people?" Liam asked as he sat down. His friends nodded in response. Sighing Liam ran his fingers through his hair and said, "I'm a perfect example of that." He gestured to himself. Laying his head down on the table he felt Kendrix patted his back gently.

"Is he even here today?" Ashley asked.

Liam shrugged his shoulders his head still on the table. He heard Matt whispering something, but didn't listen long enough. He was lovesick and heartsick. The remainder of lunch Liam just kept his head down.

&&&

Liam had stayed after school to finish his English test. Matt, Ashley, and Kendrix all went ahead and left him. He told them he'd walk home and that he'd probably need the fresh cold air to clear his head. Everyone had pretty much left. As he walked out of the English building he started for the courtyard.

The skies were gray. It was probably going to start raining or snowing. That wasn't good since it was a twenty-minute walk back to his house. Liam sighed pulling his gray hood over his head. Water puddles collected on the sidewalk and he just trudged right through them. He was in serious need of a pick-me-up, but there was nothing that he could think of.

Liam arrived at the courtyard staring down at the red and blue-gray brick designs. His eyes concentrated on the patterns not paying attention to anything else. The water splashed as he walked right through a puddle. He felt his socks soaking up the water and his jeans soaking it in as well.

"I'm such an idiot." Liam muttered to himself as he slowed his pace.

"Yeah you really are."

Liam stopped walking a bit surprised and turned his body. He stared in awe as Ryan walked out from the office doors his hands shoved into his pockets. Looking away for a moment Liam smiled weakly and Ryan stopped about five steps away from him.

"I guess I deserve that." Liam shrugged and Ryan chuckled softly.

"No you don't," Ryan shook his head. "I owe you Liam, my life. After what I said to you and in the end you gave me my sister back. There's not enough apologies in the world." He explained. Under his arm was a blue binder and Liam stared at it for a moment. Ryan caught on and pulled his hands from his pockets holding up the binder. He smiled weakly and said, "I'm withdrawing." Liam felt a prang in his chest and he bet his face showed the pain.

"Oh." Liam said halfheartedly.

"Getting a GED and then going to a junior college," Ryan explained putting the binder back under his arm. He sighed softly rubbing the back of his neck. It felt so weird for Liam; he was losing Ryan either way. "It's all thanks to you Liam." Ryan smiled and Liam stared at him blankly, no emotion could top his pain and confusion.

"Why?" Liam asked softly.

"I guess, because you're the only person who helped me see the good in life." Ryan admitted and Liam scoffed rolling his eyes.

"Glad I could help." Liam mumbled under his breath looking down at the ground. Ryan sighed and kicked at the ground with the toe of his shoe. He didn't know what to say and neither did Liam. Was this a goodbye thing; was everything they had become suddenly over? Liam couldn't answer those questions, but he didn't want to ask him either.

"You probably don't want to talk to me," Ryan said and Liam furrowed his brows. Of course he wanted to talk to him, he wanted to hold him close. He never wanted Ryan to leave, but here he was leaving him. "I'm sorry Liam." Ryan sounded a bit choked up and that's when Liam saw he was fighting back tears. Dropping his book on the ground and his bag slid off his shoulders Liam walked over to Ryan.

"There's nothing to be sorry for." Liam said, placing his hands gently onto Ryan's face. Their eyes met and Liam shook his head slightly. Ryan closed his eyes and Liam got onto his toes kissing his lips. He ran his fingers through Ryan's short hair and gently sucked on his lips.

Ryan gently placed his hands on Liam's waist kissing him back. The passion was burning through the kiss and their bodies were pressed together. Liam pushed Ryan up against on of the stone pillars of the office building. It was unlike anything he'd ever experienced; even their sex didn't have this kind of feeling.

They finally pulled apart. Ryan panted lightly slowly opening his eyes looking down at Liam. He brushed his hair from his face and Liam opened his own eyes. "I love you." Ryan whispered softly and Liam smiled at him.

"I love you too," Liam paused for a moment. "I know that I won't be alone even if you leave." He added and Ryan chuckled softly stroking the side of Liam's face with his thumb.

"You're like dream Liam," Ryan said, moving away from him. Liam looked at Ryan as he stared skyward. Taking hold of his hand Liam gently squeezed it. Ryan turned around to look at him a weak smile on his face. "When my world was falling apart, I looked at you and everything changed." Ryan explained.

"Is this goodbye, Ryan?" Liam asked him.

"No, never." Ryan shook his head.

"Then why do you make it sound like that?" he questioned with a soft smile. Ryan shrugged his shoulders looking at the parking lot. At that moment Benjamin's black car pulled up.

"That's my ride," Ryan said. "I don't know about you, but this weekend I'm free and I'd love to go to the movies with you. As my boyfriend."

Liam's heart skipped a beat and a smile stretched across his face. He couldn't believe what he just heard.

"Yes," Liam nodded his head still beaming with a smile. "A thousand times yes!" he laughed and Ryan smiled back at him. Wrapping his arms around Liam he kissed his lips and pulled away two seconds later. Walking backwards Ryan grabbed his binder that had fallen to the floor and darted off to the black car.

Liam smiled happily as Ryan got to the car and turned around waving goodbye. His cheeks were flushed and his heart racing. Letting out a sigh of love and relief Liam spun around in a circle happily. The sun broke free from the clouds and he looked up at the sky.

Everything Liam had ever wished for had finally come true.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End.