Status: active

War

Mockingbird

I was sitting under a tree in a park with Daddy. We both were eating ice cream cones.

"Daddy? How come I have to go live with Uncle Sam and Auntie Em?" I asked. Daddy frowned a bit.

"I have to go somewhere called Afghanistan," he said gently. "I have to go stop some bad guys from hurting people."

"Like a super hero?" I asked thoughtfully.

"Yeah, princess, like a super hero," Daddy said laughing. I climbed into his lap and looked up at him.

"If you're a super hero, where's your cape?" I demanded. Daddy laughed and picked my up holding me above his head.

"Well I can't wear it out in public. Then the bad guys will now my secret identity and they'll come get me," he explained. I grinned widely at the thought of Daddy being a super hero.


"Jessa, Jessa wake up." A voice broke through my dreams.

"Super Daddy to the rescue," I mumbled. I heard a lot of people laugh. I jerked awake and looked around. I was in Uncle Sam's car. Uncle Sam was unbuckling me from my car seat. Behind him were a bunch of boys and Auntie Em. Uncle Sam picked me up and I looked at them. They were all laughing. My eyes went wide and I hid my face in Uncle Sam's neck, causing them to laugh harder.

"It's okay, Jessa," Uncle Sam whispered. "They're nice."

"Yeah, we're nice people!" I looked up and saw who was talking. It was a big guy with long hair. Kinda like Uncle Sam. In fact, they were all pretty big, and they all had long hair.

"Hey guys, what's going on?" another boy jogged up to us.

"Sam's niece is here," one of them said. The new boy looked at me and froze. He looked confused and happy. I knew already that he was nice, and that we would be friends.

I wiggled out of Uncle Sam's grip and walked over to him. I tugged on his pant leg and looked up at him, indicating I wanted up. He picked me up, grinning happily. I looked at Uncle Sam. He didn't look happy.

"Hi," he said, still smiling. "What's your name?"

"Jessa," I answered, smiling back.

"I'm Paul," he said. I smiled. I liked Paul.

"Hi Paul!" I poked his cheek and giggled. It was squishy. Everyone laughed. I looked at them and beamed. "Hi!"

"Jessie, this is Embry, Quil, Jacob, Jarred, Seth, Leah, Collin, and Brady," Uncle Sam pointed to each one of them.

"C'mon, let's take this inside. It looks like it's gonna rain." I was carried into the house as I continued to poke Paul's cheek and giggle.

"What are you doing?" Paul chuckled. I shrugged without looking up from my game.

"Squishy!" I stated simply. That got everyone laughing again.

"Em, We're home!" Uncle Sam yelled. There was a squeal from another room and Auntie Em appeared beside Me and Paul.

"Auntie!" I squealed, launching myself from Paul's arms into hers.

"Hey peanut," Auntie Em greeted, kissing me on the forehead. I beamed up at her.

"Is dinner ready yet, Em?" one of the boys asked. I think his name was Jared.

Auntie Em rolled her eyes and smiled.

"Of course." Everyone raced into the kitchen without another word. All except Paul.

I looked at him, and he smiled.

"Paul, will you take Jessa to the kitchen for me? I have to get something from upstairs," Auntie Em passed me to Paul and walked out of the room.

"Food?" I questioned. Paul chuckled and walked into the kitchen. The boys and Uncle Sam were already at the table with plates with mountains of food in front of them. "Lots of food," I whispered.

Paul set me down on a chair and got two plates. One was piled high with food and the other had a normal amount. He set one down in front of me and sat in the chair beside me with the other.

"So, Jessa, how old are you?" Quil asked.

"This many." I replied, holding up five fingers.

"What's your favorite color?" Embry asked.

"Red."

"Favorite animal?"

"Hippo!"

"Favorite candy?"

"Skittles!"

"Favorite show?"

"Imagination Movers and Handy Manny."

"Favorite-"

Seth was cut off by Uncle Sam.

"Guys, let the poor kid eat!" he barked. I smiled and spooned some mashed potatoes into my mouth. They were delicious! Soon, I was finished with my plate and begging for more. Three plates later, I was finally full.

"How does she do it?" Jacob asked in awe. I giggled.

We were all sitting in the living room when the phone rang. Auntie Em got up and answered it.

"Jessa, it's for you!" she called. I scrambled over and grabbed the phone.

"Hello?" I said.

"Hey princess!" I immediately recognized the voice.

"Daddy!" I squealed.

"How you liking it over there?"

"It's good! Auntie Em makes good food!"

Daddy laughed.

"I'm glad."

"I miss you, Daddy," I whispered. Tears stung my eyes.

"I miss you too, princess. But I'll be able to visit in a little while."

"When is a little while?"

"Christmas. I'll come home for Christmas," he decided.

"Promise?" I asked quietly.

"I promise," Daddy said. I sniffled a little. "Hey now, none of that. What has Daddy always told you? Straighten up little soldier! Stiffen up that upper lip. You got nothing to cry about. I'm still there with you, in your heart. You just prey, and I'll be there. You've got Uncle Sam and Auntie Em. Every thing's gonna be alright. I promise."

"Sir, yes sir!" I said half-heartedly. I heard something in the back round and Daddy sighed.

"I have to go, princess. I'll see you at Christmas, and it will be the best Christmas we've ever had."

"I love you, Daddy."

"I love you too, baby girl." I hung up the phone and curled up on the floor against the wall. Tears were falling down my cheeks.

A pair of warm arms wrapped around me and picked me up. I looked up and saw Paul.

"It'll be okay, Jessy," he whispered comfortingly. I rested my head against him and closed my eyes, falling asleep quickly.
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm soooo sorry I haven't been on lately! My Internet just got hooked back up!
This story was inspired by 'Mockingbird' by Eminem.