Cold As You

eight.

I woke up with a smile on my face the morning after I slept with Sidney. I rolled over and placed my head in my pillow, smiling widely while I stretched myself out. I laid there motionless for a few more seconds, relishing lying in my warm bed before I had to get up and face the day. Upon sighing and rolling over, I realized the spot Sidney once occupied was long left vacant. The pillow he slept on still smelled of him, but was cold and back to its normal size instead of sunken in and warm like it would have been if he had just gotten up. I pushed myself into a sitting position and rubbed my eyes, looking around my nearly clean room (save for my clothes Sidney had thrown over his shoulder ever so casually the night before).

I swung my feet around the bed, letting them touch the plush carpet as scurried over to my drawer and grabbed an oversized tee-shirt and a pair of panties. Upon getting dressed I opened the door to my bedroom and glanced around my small apartment to try and see where Sidney had gone.

After giving my apartment the once over, I decided he must've gone back home. I remembered him saying he had a busy day but it still stung my heart to know he had left without saying good-bye. I decided to take a quick shower and grab breakfast out; staying in suddenly became out of the question. Once I had finished showering and got dressed in a simple empire waisted dress that was a solid navy blue at the bust and a plaid blue and white on the bottom. I slipped on a pair of white sandals and left.

As I passed by a bagel store I typed a quick text to two of my best friends out in Pittsburgh. It seemed that the only people I ever talked to were the Penguins and their girlfriends or wives, but thankfully those people all were extremely nice. Sarah had tamed always wild Max Talbot, while Addie was dating the ever adorable Kris Letang. We had gotten along well from the beginning and they had always been there when I showed moments of weakness when it came to Sidney.

They both agreed to meet me at Denny's for breakfast, so I quickly caught the bus and made my way over to the restaurant. When I arrived they were both already there sitting down and scanning the menu (like they didn't already know what they were going to get).

"So what's the news chicky?" Addie asked me as I slid into the booth next to Sarah.

"Yes, please tell me it's worth me getting out of bed so early with such a hangover," Sarah pouted. "That party last night beat the shit outta me."

"I slept with Sidney," I blurted out, not knowing exactly how to word it any other way. Both girls' eyes popped out of their heads, as their jaws went slack. I waited for a more extreme reaction by shrinking back in my seat and counting down from five. Four, three, two-

"You WHAT?!" They both screeched, earning the attention of every last person who was eating breakfast in Denny's.

"It just sort of happened last night," I said.

"Oh what, so you're telling me he slipped and his dick just fell inside of you?" Sarah asked elaborately, complete with hand motions and everything.

"Not exactly-"

"Then tell us!" Addie urged excitedly.

"Well, I don't know. You know how he's been acting lately," I said. They both nodded quickly, indicating me to just get to the good part. "Well last night when he dropped me off I said goodnight and he kissed me. Obviously I didn't stop him or anything, so we end up in my room and we got carried away I guess."

Both Sarah and Addie were hanging off of every word I said, just waiting for me to give them every last detail of how the sex was. However, I wasn't about to tell them that- they'd just have to use their imaginations.

"Did he say anything?" Addie asked. "I mean, you've known each other for how long? And how you just randomly have sex one night without so much as a word?"

"Not exactly, I mean, I asked him what he was doing and why he was doing it,"

"And...? Seriously Ev, you are not as excited about this as we are and that's a little weird."

"He said that I meant the world for him and he wanted to move in together once summer was over," I admitted with a shy smile. Both girls smile as well, letting their breath go through their nose and their hands fly up to their hearts.

"That's so cute!" Addie squealed.

"I know," I nodded.

"You are totally not being your sarcastic self today. If we didn't already know you were head over heels for this guy we do now," Sarah added with a smile.

"I never thought this would happen," I continued, the smile never leaving my face. "And now that it has it's just- amazing. I've never been so happy before in my life."

"So where is he? I figure after something as big as that you two would still be in bed confessing your undying love for each other," Addie grinned.

"I woke up and he wasn't there," I shrugged, grabbing a menu and flipping through the plastic pages absent-mindedly. Addie and Sarah both exchanged worried glances I pretended not to notice as I continued. "He's probably off being Captain Crosby somewhere. I remember him saying he had a lot of press to do today." Both of my friends let a smile find their face again as they nodded understandingly.

"Yeah, Max has to be somewhere later too," Sarah said. "I just have to get his lazy ass out of bed first," she added with a grin.

"Kris too, it's a team thing I think. I kinda stopped listening to what he was saying to be honest. I know it has to do with the Cup and that's all that really matters," Addie laughed.

After breakfast we all went our separate ways, Addie and Sarah to go get their seemingly lazy boyfriends out of bed and off to whatever media event they were to attend and me to try and find Sid's where abouts. I figured I'd send him a text, seeing as I hadn't done so yet and his phone was probably attached to his hand. I wasted a few hours around a local mall as I waited for a returned text. I figured we could meet somewhere for lunch or maybe even dinner if he wasn't done with what he was doing till late. I was leaving when I finally felt my phone vibrate from inside of my huge purse. I grabbed it quickly and flipped it open, scanning the short reply I had received.

Cup stuff, won't be back till late.

I sent him a text saying I understood and if he was up for doing anything when he was done I'd be around. And so I went home and waited for him all night; like a fucking moron.
♠ ♠ ♠
hi, sorry i've been mia lately. i've been working like crazy lately&having boy problems :/
whatevs.
your comments make me smile. i love to see where you guys think this is going :)
xoxo.