Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 26

I waited outside my house for Frank, it was Friday, the night of Danica’s party. I was dressed in a white Avenged Sevenfold t-shirt, with a black hooded jacket over the top. I also wore a pink tartan skirt and black leggings, and pink converse sneakers. I shivered in the wind, bad choice, it was too cold tonight for that, but too late now, the house was already locked up, and Dad had gone over to a friend’s house to watch the footy game.

To my relief I saw the bright headlights of Frank’s van at the end of the street, and they slowly brightened as the van came closer. It stopped and the window rolled down, Frank poking his head out the window with a cheeky smile on his face. It reminded me of when Gerard used to do that, which made me sad for a moment, but I put it out of my head.

“Jackie!” a familiar voice called, and the side door rolled open.
“Gerard!” I squealed with joy, and ran up to wrap my arms around him.
“So wait, does this mean you’re hanging out with us again?” I asked, arms still around his neck.
“Yeah, I figured I could put up with you douchebag’s after all” he chuckled, his hands on my hips.
“Gee, don’t get too fucking comfortable, get in the van Jackie” growled Frank.

The two of us looked over at him, rolling our eyes and I climbed in beside Gerard. He pulled me back so I was leaning against him, and neither of us had to worry about Frank, he had his eyes on the road. Besides, if Gerard was happy, I was happy. He sighed contently, and I smiled.

Mikey, Ray & Bob were in the van too, drinking already, even though we hadn’t even gotten to the party yet. Ray smiled at me, obviously happy that I was letting Gerard enjoy the moment. Mikey kept his eyes on Frank, ready to warn us if he looked around. The van pulled to a halt and Frank leaned over to look at us all in the back seat, making me sit bolt upright, away from Gerard.

“Okay” he began, narrowing his eyes at Gerard.
“We’re here” he finished.

He opened the driver’s side door and got out, and the rest of us followed close behind, sliding the side door open. The moment I stepped out of the van, Frank wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me towards him, forcefully. He looked over at Gerard, an expression on his face that could only translate to one thing: Keep your hands off my girl. Gerard scowled at him and began to walk away.

“Gerard” I called after him, pleading him to come back.
“Hey, Gerard!” a voice called from nearby.

I looked over to see Bert, Quinn, Jeph and Dan walking up the footpath. Gerard ran over to them, grabbing Bert’s hand, which he held out to greet him. They pulled one another towards each other, and gave each other a pat on the back. He walked with them inside, ditching us yet again. Frank saw the sadness on my face as Gerard walked away, and rubbed my arm comfortingly.

I was blinded briefly by a set of car headlights, and turned to see Joey’s neon green convertible coming up the street. Arriana was visible in the seat beside him, her hot pink hair seemed to glow in the darkness. The car stopped beside us on the road, behind Frank’s van, and Arriana jumped out, over the door instead of opening it. She ran over to Ray and tackled him, but he was too quick for her, and caught her around her waist, lifting her up onto his shoulder.

I looked over at Joey, who got out of the car and slammed the door. I couldn’t really blame him for being angry, he loved Arriana, it must kill him to see her like that with Ray. He began to walk up to the house without waiting for the rest of us, and Mikey ran after him.

Sweet Mikey Way, he’s so good to his friends

The rest of us followed them up to the house, where there seemed be a change in music since the last party Danica had. Unlike last time, when we had heard a stream of endless hip hop, I could hear “Newport Living” by Cute Is What We Aim For playing. Frank put his arm around my shoulder, I looked at him, he was smiling.

“I think Sean got to the stereo” he sniggered.
“Yeah sounds like, well, Danica better get used to it, if she wants to be with a guy like Sean” I chuckled.

***

Ray’s POV - Ray’s POV - Ray’s POV - Ray’s POV - Ray’s POV - Ray’s POV

“No fucking way! You can not be beating me!” I exclaimed.

Arriana and I were playing “Beast And The Harlot” by Avenged Sevenfold on Guitar Hero. Considering the two of us were skilled guitar players, I thought she’d have no trouble playing Guitar Hero on Expert. So far nobody had ever beaten me, somehow, impossibly, Arriana was.

“Gonna have to play better than that to beat me Ray!” she teased, blitzing effortlessly through the solo.

We reached the last chorus, and I pretty much gave up. Arriana’s score was already much higher than mine. I pouted as the song finished and Arriana’s side of the screen said “You rock” instead of mine. How the hell could I possibly have been beaten by a girl?

“Aww Ray, it’s just a game, chill” she smiled.

I smiled back. I’d only known Arriana for awhile, but in such a short amount of time we had become really close. She was one of my best friends now, and, I had to admit, I really did like her much more than that. She really was beautiful, I remembered the days before we had become friends, back when she had brown hair, I’d always thought she was attractive, and had been very happy when Jackie had suddenly introduced us to one another.

Her hair was hot pink now, but she was still just as beautiful. Her eyes were a bright blue colour, framed by elegant long black eyelashes. The fact that she wore thick black rimmed glasses didn’t phase me one bit, I loved how they magnified and intensified the beauty of her eyes. She wasn’t exactly thin, but she was a healthy weight, stocky, but not in a bad way. She looked like she could definitely hold her own in a fight.

“Wanna try again then?” she teased, going back to the set list on the game.
“Yeah, alright, let’s see you beat me at this one” I replied, snapping out of my daze.

I scrolled through the list, searching for a particular song title. A smirk reached across my face as I found what I was looking for, and selected it. I heard Arriana grumble quietly, she knew she was screwed this time.

“Had to choose Raining Blood by Slayer didn’t you?” she growled.

I smirked, watching the loading screen come up. Good, she deserved it, I was gonna thrash her this time. The song started up, and while she struggled, I flew straight ahead. Halfway through the song she grumbled and dropped her guitar on the couch beside her. I paused the game and looked at her.

“Don’t be such a sore loser Arriana” I said.
“I’m not, my fucking arm hurts” she complained.
“Oh, sorry” I replied, I’d forgotten some people got really sore arms from playing Guitar Hero, I was used to it though, from playing guitar each and every single day, not to mention how aggressively I played.

I got up from where I was sitting and sat down beside her. She leant against me and I wrapped my arms around her, holding her close. I ran my fingers through her hair, and held the back of her neck gently. With my other hand, I slowly lifted her face to mine, and did something I should have done a long time ago. I kissed her.

She was still for a moment, probably taken by surprise. But she soon relaxed and kissed me back. I held her closer, savouring this moment I’d been wanting for far too long. She tightened her hold on me, and in the shortest moment that we broke apart, sighed contently, before kissing me again.

We were both so caught up in the moment, so oblivious to everything around us, so focused on each other that we didn’t even hear the sound of the sliding door opening. It wasn’t until it was slammed shut again that we were distracted and broke apart.

Joey stood in front of the door, his chest heaving, his hands balled into fists and the most hateful look in his eyes. His jaw was clenched tight and he looked like he was ready to tear me apart at any moment. I quickly but gently pushed Arriana a fair distance away, so she’d be safe if Joey attacked me.

“We’ve been friends since we were kids, and you choose him over me?” Joey growled.
“Joey, relax, let’s talk about this for a minute” I tried to reason.
“You think I wanna fucking talk about this?” he snapped, turning his head towards me.
“Joey, it’s not Ray’s fault” Arriana began.
“And it’s not yours either” I finished for her.
“Keep your fucking mouth shut” Joey hissed through gritted teeth.
“How dare you talk to Ray like that!” Arriana snapped.
“YOU ONLY JUST FUCKING MET HIM!” he shouted.
“Fuck Joey, calm down! These things happen!” she retaliated.
“Fine, go ahead, do what you want, I really don’t care anymore” he growled, leaving the room, slamming the sliding door shut behind him…

***

Jackie’s POV - Jackie’s POV - Jackie’s POV - Jackie’s POV - Jackie’s POV

“Bob you fucking sleaze! Leave the ladies alone!” Frank chuckled.

The two of us were sitting beside the pool, where for the last half an hour Bob had been trying to chat up two blondes who looked like twins. I shook my head, giggling, and Frank tightened his arms around me. I looked up at him, moving closer to his face to kiss him. He looked at me tenderly when we broke apart, a smile on his face.

“You wanna get outta here?” he asked.
“What? The other’s are still here” I replied.
“Not what I meant” he grinned.
“Huh?” I said, confused.
“Come on” he said, getting to his feet.
“Where are we going?” I asked.
“Just come on” he chuckled, pulling me to my feet.

The two of us went into the house, and Frank lead me upstairs to the second floor. He went straight for the door at the end of the hallway, and opened it, and led me inside. I guessed this was Danica’s room, the walls were a soft shade of pale pink, with lilac carpet. In the centre of the room, backed up against the wall, was a large four poster bed, with hot pink fly nets covering it, making it look like it was fit for a princess. The sheets on the bed were white, except for the pillows, which were pink. The rest of the furniture in the room was white with pink handles.

Frank led me over to the bed, and sat down beside me. He drew my face towards his, and kissed me softly. I kissed him back, but a little harder, though he quickly overpowered me. I got up from where I was sitting beside him, and placed myself on his lap, facing him.

He dug his hands into my hair and my hands found their way to the bottom of his shirt, which I helped him out of. His hands moved from my hair to my waist, running themselves over my hips, slowly hiking my shirt higher and higher, before he lifted it off. In an instant I was out of my skirt, and I unzipped his jeans and he picked me up, turning around, before laying me down on the bed.

He began to kiss my neck, and my hands found their way to his back, which I rubbed gently. Frank began working his way down my collarbone, still kissing me softly, and gently wrapped his arms around me, and began working on unhooking my bra. As he slid the straps down off my shoulders, I pushed him off and sat up, doing it back up again.

“I… I can’t do this” I sighed, putting my face in my hands.
“What’s wrong?” he whispered, sitting up and kissing my neck from behind.
“I’m… just not ready, not yet, I’m sorry” I whispered back, lowering my hands and looking at him.
“It’s okay” he smiled, kissing me gently.

He got up off the bed and retrieved his clothes from the floor, dressing himself again. I picked up my own and did the same, feeling guilty. Fully clothed, I sat back down on the bed again, and sighed sadly, wrapping my arms around myself.

“Jackie, really, it’s okay” Frank reassured me, joining me and wrapping his own arms around me.
“I know, it’s just, I don’t know why I’m not ready for this yet, I love you” I whimpered.
“Jackie, thinking you’re ready and really truly being ready are two different things” he spoke in a soothing tone, kissing my cheek.
“But you were so ready, and I let you down” I sighed.
“You didn’t, I told you, it’s fine” he urged, rubbing my back comfortingly.
“I’m sorry” I said.

He grumbled in frustration, and kissed me.

“Will you stop apologizing?” he half chuckled, sounding annoyed.

I opened my mouth to say sorry for apologizing, but he covered it.

“Shh!” he smiled.

He buried his face in the crook of my neck, kissing my skin softly.

“I’ve told you this once before, and I’m going to tell you again” he whispered.
“I don’t care how long I have to wait, really, I don’t” he added.
“So don’t be sorry, you have nothing to apologize for” he finished.

I sighed and leant further back against him. Frank had to be the most amazing guy in the whole world, he respected me, and never pressured me. He understood me and accepted me for who I was, and never tried to change me, to force me to do anything I didn’t want to do. I was grateful for that.

“Thanks Frank” I whispered, closing my eyes and relaxing in his arms.

I’d almost drifted off, when there was a sudden panicked knocking at the door. I sat bolt upright, nudging Frank with my elbow. I pointed at the door, and he sprang up from the bed as the knocking came again and answered it.

“Mikey, Bob, what’s wrong guys?” he asked.
“Frank, you gotta get outside, quick, Gerard’s fighting with Korey again, bring Jackie with you, she might be more of a help than any of us, Gerard listens to her” Mikey explained.

The two of us followed them downstairs and outside, where I found Jessica kind of skipping around in a circle, seeming to be a little drunk. Joey and Arriana were close by, watching the whole scene with shocked expressions, Ray was holding back Gerard while Korey taunted him…

***

Gerard’s POV - Gerard’s POV - Gerard’s POV - Gerard’s POV - Gerard’s POV

“Ray, fucking let me go!” I growled, struggling to free myself from his grip.
“As per usual, your boyfriends hold you back every time you get into a fight” Korey laughed.
“Fuck you!” I spat.
“Now, now Gerard, there’s no need for that kinda language” Jessica giggled from nearby.

She’d been standing watch the entire time, staggering slightly as she pranced around in a circle, I had no idea why she was acting that way, I’d been watching her all night, and she sure as hell hadn’t had all that much to drink. Mine and Korey’s fight had started when I overheard the two of them talking shit about Jackie.

“Ray, fucking let me go, it’s about time I taught this fucker a lesson!” I snarled through gritted teeth.
“Yeah Ray, let your boyfriend go!” Korey teased.
“YOU LITTLE FUCKER!” I roared.

At that moment, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Jessica collapse. I snapped my head over in her direction, and my eyes widened as she lay motionless on the floor, with a pained expression on her face. That was when I decided I couldn’t care less about Korey, and pulled myself free of Ray’s grip. I ran over to her, and cradled her in my arms.

Suddenly, her body began twitching violently, and her eyes snapped open, wide and glassy, and she stared up at nowhere. I tried to hold her down, to prevent her from injuring herself. My suspicions had been right, Jessica hadn’t just been drinking tonight, no, there was something else in her system, and her body wasn’t taking too kindly to it.

“WHAT THE HELL IS WRONG WITH HER?!” I shouted at Korey.
“I-I don’t know” he stuttered.
“DON’T FUCKING LIE TO ME, WHAT THE FUCK HAVE YOU GIVEN HER?!, I SWEAR TO GOD KOREY FUCKING TELL ME, SHE COULD DIE!” I roared.
“I don’t know what it was…” he said quietly, staring at the ground.
“Well you better start thinking fast!” I snapped, struggling to hold Jessica down.
“Guys! Call for help! Hurry!” I called over to Ray and the others.
“Sure thing man, don’t worry” Ray replied, running off.
“Ge-Gerard, is, is that you?” I heard a quiet whisper ask, and quickly realized it was coming from Jessica, she’d stopped twitching for now, but I had a feeling it was far from over.
“Yes, what’s wrong Jessie, tell me” I asked her in a gentle tone, brushing her hair out of her face.
“Y-you haven’t called me Jessie since…” Jessica began, but suddenly was cut off by a grunt of pain.
“Jessie, please, hang in there, help is on the way” I pleaded.

Jessica was beginning to shake again, and I held her tightly against my chest. I ran my fingers through her hair, trying to soothe her, hoping I could calm her down and stop her condition from getting any worse. She began to breathe rapidly and sweat broke out of her pores. I laid my hand upon her chest, and noticed that her heart was beating much too fast.

“Jessie, try to relax, breathe slower” I pleaded.
“It hurts” she whimpered.
“I know Jessie, but if you don’t relax you’re only going to get worse” I said.
“The pain…” she sobbed, and a few tears escaped from the corners of her eyes.
“No, Jessie, CALM DOWN!” I cried as her breathing sped up again.
“IT FUCKING HURTS! MY HEART! IT FEELS LIKE IT’S GOING TO FUCKING EXPLODE!” she screamed, kicking her legs and flailing her arms about.
“JESSIE PLEASE!” I cried, pulling her close to me again.
“Please, calm down” I whimpered, feeling my own tears running down my face.
“Just breathe steady Jessie, please” I whispered.

She continued to breathe rapidly, but after a few moments her breathing slowed, and I felt her lean closer to me, burying her head in my chest. Her arms tightened around me, and I tightened my own hold on her again. It’d been months since we had broken up, and I couldn’t make myself resist the opportunity to hold her like this again, I still loved her so much.

“Gerard, I’ve been horrible, and I regret saying so many things, I want you to know I’m sorry” she sobbed.
“Why are you saying all this?” I gasped, something wasn’t right here.

I pulled her back a little, so that I was cradling her again, and realized her face and hair were completely drenched in sweat. Even like this, somehow she felt cold in my arms. Her eyes were red and tired, and her face was stained with tears. Suddenly, I felt her hand in my hair, her grip was weak, so I made it easy for her to pull my face to hers.

She kissed me softly, obviously lacking the energy to kiss me any harder, and as I pulled her closer to me, I felt her grow weaker. Nevertheless, she sighed happily and I felt myself smile a little into the kiss, I’d missed her so much. But it wasn’t until she pulled away that reality hit me. She was dying.

“Gerard” she whispered, too weak to speak now.
“I’m sorry, please be nice to Korey” she continued.
“Jessie, please, don’t give up” I sobbed, my tears coming on full force now.

Jessica took a deep, struggled breath.

“I love you” she whispered.

Her eyes rolled back into her head, and her arms dropped to her sides. I laid my hand on her heart, and realized it’d stopped beating. I shook her, trying to get her to wake up, but she just remained limp and motionless in my arms.

“NO JESSIE! NO FUCKING WAY! PLEASE!” I screamed, and tears streamed down my face.

I held her lifeless body close to me, and when the sirens sounded nearby and the paramedics tried to pull her out of my arms, I refused to let her go. I foolishly hoped for some fucking miracle to bring her back to life, but it never came. My beautiful ex-girlfriend was gone, never again would she laugh, never again would I feel her warm touch. I pulled her face to mine and gave Jessica LaTovey a kiss goodbye…