Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 29

“Hey baby, come sit with me and your father” my mother spoke in the husky voice I remembered from my childhood.

Who does she think she is? Walking out of my life, and then she just shows up and starts ordering me around?

I looked over at my father, trying to ask with a single expression what the hell my mother was doing here all of a sudden. He simply just gave me a look that I remembered all too well; Do what your mother tells you. I pouted, but took a seat on the side of the table, with my father on my right, and my mother on my left.

“Your mother is going to be staying with us for awhile” Dad said.
“What?”
“She wants to make up for her mistakes, start anew, make amends with us”
“No” I said, shaking my head “No way, sorry, not happening”
“Please baby, hear me out” my mother pleaded.
“I don’t want to hear anything you’ve got to say, you left us! You left me! And for what? Some crack head?!” I snapped.
“That’ll do young lady” my Dad spoke in a stern voice. “Your mother is going to be staying with us for awhile, whether you like it or not. I’m going to give her a chance to redeem herself, if she can prove to me that she’s changed--” I cut him off.
“What? You expect me to play happy families?”
“Our marriage was destroyed because of your mother’s drug addiction”
“But look at me now” my mother smiled, a perfectly white, gleaming smile. “Eighteen months sober, I booked myself into rehab, cleaned myself up”
“I’m going to give her another chance, and if she can prove to me that she’s seen the error of her ways, and wants to be a part of our lives again, I will re-marry her” my father explained.
I widened my eyes. “What?” My hands balled into fists. “What?”

My mother took my hands in her own, uncurling my fists.

“I know I’ve hurt you Jackie girl, but I’ll do anything to make it up to you baby” she pleaded, her eyes glassy.

I had nothing to say to her. I ripped my hands away, staring her down with the most hatred I could muster, before storming out of the room to collect my schoolbag, and stomping upstairs.

“I HAVE NOTHING TO SAY TO YOU!” I roared to my mother downstairs, and slammed my bedroom door.