Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 33

I gave up once Gerard passed through the main entrance to the building. He obviously needed to be alone right now, and I wasn’t going to bother him. He’d come to me when he was ready. Music passed by in a blur, my mind was too busy worrying about Gerard to really take in anything Mrs. Lynch was saying. I was glad we had theory today.

Frank put his arm around me the moment we left the music room and we walked to his car together. I was still very quiet, and Frank could sense something was up.

“You okay Jackie?” he asked.
“Yeah” I shook my head and put on a fake smile. “I’m fine”
“You sure?”
“Mmm hmm” I lied, trying to make my smile more convincing.

We walked the rest of the way in silence, and just as I opened the passenger’s side door to Frank’s car and was about to get in, a red convertible pulled up. What the hell was she doing here? My mother.

“You want a ride home sweetie?” she asked, removing her sunglasses. “I was thinking we might grab some dinner and catch up.”
“I was about to get a lift home from Frank, Mum, no thanks.”
“Oh, your boyfriend? Your father told me about him.” she extended her hand out to Frank, who shook it. “Kerry James, I’m Jackie’s Mum.”
“Frank Iero.”
“I was planning on just having some one on one time with Jackie, but you’re more than welcome to come if you want to.”

I glared at Frank, giving him an expression that said Don’t, I’m not going anywhere with her.

“I don’t see why not” he shrugged, completely ignoring me. “But I can’t leave the van here, so I’ll meet up with you guys there.”
“Alright, kid. We’ll be at Don’s.” Kerry smiled.

Frank turned to me and gave me a quick hug, shifting away when I went to kiss him.

Gutless bastard, too afraid to kiss me in front of my Mum.

Once Frank got in his van and drove off, I reluctantly climbed into the passenger’s side of my mother’s car…

***

When we arrived at Don’s, Frank was already there waiting for us. I jumped out of Mum’s car and ran to him, practically throwing myself at him in a searing kiss. He looked shocked as I pulled away, and I turned to my Mum with a smirk on my face, expecting her to disapprove, only to find her smiling.

“You remind me of your father and I when we were young.”
“Right.” I replied, rolling my eyes.

We entered and took our seats at a table Mum had already pre-booked for us. But as I sat there eating with Mum and Frank, I felt completely awkward. I didn’t want to be here. If I’d had it my way, Frank and I would be at my place right now, more than likely making out in my room, but that would be a million times better than being here.

“So, how’s school?” Mum asked.
“Fine.”
“Johnny tells me you’re singing now?”
“Yup.”
“How’s that going for you?”
“Fine.”
“Can I get something other than a “Yup” or “Fine” please?”
“Nope.”
“Jackie, don’t be so ignorant. I’m only trying to get to know you better.”

That did it; I stood up fast, knocking my plate to the floor.

“YOU LOST YOUR CHANCE TO GET TO KNOW ME WHEN YOU RAN OFF WITH THAT CRACKHEAD!” I screamed, before storming out of the restaurant.

The breeze was soothing, and I was just glad to be away from her.

“Jackie?” Kerry called from behind me.

Spoke too soon.

“Jackie baby, please forgive me, I know I’ve hurt you, but please, please, just give me a chance.” she pleaded.
“You’re too late.” I replied, shaking my head.

“Jackie, everything alright?” Frank asked as he exited the restaurant to find me standing with my back to Mum, arms folded, while she leaned against the car, crying. “You want a ride home?”
“No thank you Frank, I am her mother, and I will drive her home, Jackie, get in the car.” Mum snapped.
“Forget it, I’m not going anywhere with you!”

Mum grabbed my arm painfully tight, and shoved me into the car, slamming the door shut.
“Go home Frank.”

I watched as Frank obeyed, getting into his van and driving off. Mum got into the car soon after, and we began to drive home. I still refused to talk; she had really fucked up now, treating me like that.

“You’re very stubborn, you know that?”
“Must be something I get from you.” I snorted.
“Why do you have to make this so hard?”
“Because you can’t just leave me when I’m thirteen, and then come back three years later and expect me to be okay with that!” I snapped.
“I thought you wanted me to come back, your father told me you asked him if I’d ever come back a few months ago, that’s when he started trying to find me, telling me I should do the right thing and be a part of your life, I know I’ve hurt you baby, but you gotta realize, I wasn’t right up here.” she said, tapping her head. “But I’m okay now, I promise.”

I closed my eyes, trying to shut her and her bullshit out.

“Stop the car.”

But she just ignored me.

“STOP. THE. CAR!” I yelled.

This time she listened, and pulled the car to a halt on the side of the road. I got out and slammed the door.

“I’m walking home.” I said, and began walking away.
“Don’t be stupid! You know it’s not safe at night!” Mum replied, driving slowly alongside me on the road.
“I’ll be fine.”
“Get in the car.”

I shook my head.

“Get in the car.” she ordered.
“No.” I replied simply.
“Fine.” she snapped, speeding off down the street.

I continued to walk, but quickly realized I had no idea where I was going. I began to look for anything familiar, anything that might guide me home. It was a little while before I noticed the sign that pointed off in the direction of Gerard’s street, and began walking down it, looking for the familiar house.

The lights were on when I approached, so I knocked on the front door. No answer. I pressed my ear to the door; I could hear a TV in the background, so I tried knocking again. Still no answer. I took my phone out of my bag and dialed Gerard’s number.

***

Gerard’s POV

I was awoken by the sound of Basket Case by Green Day blaring from somewhere beside me. I sat up and looked over to realize that the sound was actually my phone ringing.

Who the hell calls at this time of the night?

“Yeah it’s Gerard, who’s this?” I asked in a sleepy tone.
“It’s Jackie; I’m at your front door.”

I rolled over on my bed, and checked the time.

“It’s 11 o’clock at night! What’re you doing out so late?”
“It’s complicated, let me in and I’ll explain.”
“Yeah sure, give me a few moments.” I said, and hung up.

I sat up, rubbing the tiredness out of my eyes, and nursing my head, which had become a little dizzy due to how fast I had sat up. I left my room, unaware that I was still in only my pajama bottoms, and not much else, and crept downstairs and past my Dad who was asleep in the lounge room.

I opened the front door quietly, mouthing “Hey” to Jackie as she stepped inside, before leading her upstairs to my room. She walked over and sat down on my bed, and I sat beside her, watching her face and waiting for her to begin talking. She took a deep breath.

“I don’t know how she thought that was gonna work.” she sighed.
“I’m not following.”
“Sorry, okay. So Mum showed up to pick me up from school this afternoon, and despite my objections, I ended up having to go to dinner with her and Frank. She spent the entire time trying to act like she hadn’t been gone for three years, asking me questions about my life and whatnot. But I snapped at her and stormed out. She tried to follow me and get me to calm down, but it didn’t work. Then Frank came out and offered me a ride home, and Mum went off at him and told him she’d drive me home, and when I refused to go with her, she yanked me by my arm and shoved me into the car, and told Frank to go home. So he did, the gutless bastard. Me and Mum ended up fighting in the car, so I told her to stop driving and I got out and started walking home. But then I realized I was lost, until I saw your street sign.”
“You wanna stay the night?” I asked, stroking her hands with my own.
“Yeah. If you don’t mind.”
“Not at all.” I smiled.
“I’m quite happy to sleep on the couch.”
I shook my head. “No, you can have the bed, I’ll take the couch, really, it’s no problem.”

She smiled in response, before getting her mobile out to text her father;

Dad, it’s Jackie. I’m at Gerard’s, and I’m safe.
Be home tomorrow, don’t worry about me :) xoxox
♠ ♠ ♠
New chapter, as promised! :)

You know the drill; Comment and Subscribe :P

xXShazzaXx