Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 40

I woke up to find it was sunrise, but that took a few minutes for me to register, as my mind was still focused on the dream I’d just had. It’d randomly come out of nowhere. I’d only ever kissed Gerard once before, but in that dream, it’d felt so real. Not to mention we’d made love in my dream. . . and that was weird for me considering I was still a virgin, and the one time I’d come close to losing my virginity had been with Frank at Danica’s party, but I’d pulled out at the last second.

I crawled out of bed and got dressed, and went downstairs to eat breakfast, where I found Mum sitting in the lounge room watching Saturday morning kid’s shows. I figured since I didn’t really have anything better to do while I ate, I may as well watch some TV too. The Saddle Club was on, one of my childhood favourite’s.

“I remember how you used to love this show when you were a kid. How you begged and pleaded me and your Dad to take you to Grandpa’s ranch so you could ride the horses. I remember how you always pretended you were Stevie.” Mum said.

I sniggered. “Yeah, I remember.” I smiled.

Mum looked over at me; she seemed surprised by the sudden change in my attitude towards her.

Later in the day, Mum and Dad took me down to the lake so we could all go fishing as a family, like we used to when I was younger. Dad helped me hook my bait onto the line, and cast my line out, just like when I was little. Surprisingly enough, I was actually enjoying myself.

“I’m gonna go for a walk.” Mum said, getting up from where she was sitting on the grass.
“Alright.” Dad and I replied.

An hour passed, and with a bucketful of fish, Dad and I decided to call it a day.

“Thank you for today, kiddo.’ Dad said as the two of us headed back to the house.
“You’re welcome; I’m just keeping my promise.” I smiled.
“I appreciate it. Now go and find your mother while I go and get this cooked up.” He said as we reached the house.

I walked back down to the lake, walking the perimeter of it while I searched for Mum. I remembered there was a little park bench behind the trees on the other side of the lake, so I figured I’d check there. As I walked around the trees I saw her, hunched over the table. At first I thought she was sleeping, until I saw her throw her head back, wiping some form of white powder from her nose.

My hands balled into fists, I was furious. She’d promised me and my Dad she’d changed. But yet here she was, snorting cocaine just like she always had. I lost it.

“I KNEW YOU HADN’T CHANGED!” I screamed.
She looked up, and seemed to take a few minutes to register that I was there. Once she realized it though, her eyes widened in fear. “Baby, it’s not what it looks like, I swear--”
“FUCKING BULLSHIT! I CAUGHT YOU FUCKING RED HANDED!” I shrieked, cutting her off mid sentence.

I couldn’t bear to keep looking at her in this state; it just made me much too angry. I turned and ran for the house, slamming the door open as I reached it. I locked my door and threw my suitcase onto my bed, ignoring Dad’s voice calling my name from behind the door. Once I had everything, I pulled out my phone.

“Hey Jackie, what’s up?” Frank answered.
“Can you come and get me?”
“Why? What’s wrong?”
”Please, I just. . . I don’t wanna talk about it, just; can you come get me, please?”
“Yeah sure thing, I’ll be there as fast as I can.”
“Thank you.” I said, and hung up.

I stood out on my balcony, watching the driveway outside of the house, waiting for him to arrive. Twenty minutes passed, and at last I saw the familiar white van pull up outside. I unlocked my bedroom door, which Dad had now stopped pounding on and had gone away, and started off down the stairs.

“Jackie!” Dad called out to me as I crossed the entrance room to the door.

I ignored him and opened the door, descending the steps and getting into Frank’s van, where the passenger’s door was already open and waiting for me.

“JACKIE!” Dad yelled from the front porch.
“Drive.” I said, and Frank obeyed…
♠ ♠ ♠
Grr, Kerry's a liar! <angry face>

Comment and subscribe!

xXShazzaXx