Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 51

Art was quiet today, too quiet. The usually rowdy kids were either actually working or wagging. I was once again working on my major, which was almost complete, just a few last touches next lesson, and I’d have it finished. Already it was looking epic, but I wanted a second opinion.

“Gee?”
“Mhmm?” He looked up from his canvas.
“Come here, I’m close to finished.”
He came over to my canvas, and I watched as he studied the painting with his ‘Artist’s Eyes’ “Looks awesome.” He smiled.
“How about yours?” I started towards his canvas. “How’s that looking?”
He blocked my way. “Not letting ya see it just yet.” He teased.
“Aww c’mon Gee, please?” I asked with a pouty face and puppy eyes.
“A true artist never shows anybody his work if it’s incomplete.”
“Whatever.” I rolled my eyes. “How are things at home?”
“Yeah, alright I guess.” He frowned as he continued to paint. “I do admit I feel a lot safer, it’s nice to come home and not be afraid of getting my head kicked in the minute I walk through the door.” He let out a sigh. “But I feel guilty for getting Donald kicked out.” I noticed he still refused to call Donald ‘Dad’ after all he’d done.
“Don’t feel guilty; your Mum did that for your own safety.”
“I heard Ma crying in her room last night, when I peered into her room I saw her holding their wedding photo.”
I set down my paintbrush and hugged him. “Everything will work out, Gee. I promise.” I whispered, and kissed his neck…

***

I entered English to find Korey sitting on his own. The poor kid had been alienated by the entire school since the night of Jessica’s death; so many kids had been heartless enough even to blame him for her death. He didn’t deserve that, nobody did.

“Oi, you.” I smiled, tapping his tabletop as I passed.
He looked up.
“Get off your ass, and come sit with me.”
He gave me a weak smile and got up out of his seat.

“Alright if Korey sits with us?” I asked Joey and Arriana as we approached the table.
“Sure thing.” Arriana smiled, pulling out the chair next to her.
“Can you believe this?” Joey grumbled. “They associated that Twilight crap with Queen Of The Damned and Interview With The Vampire!” His eyes continued to travel down the sheet of paper in his hand. “Aww man, and The Lost Boys?”

The class was studying references to vampires in popular literature and film. It was a class chosen project from a range of choices. The populace of Twi fans in the class had resulted in this particular topic being chosen.

He continued to read the hand out. “Stupid fucking assignment, I hope we don’t--” His face dropped. “Yup, we have to watch the fucking film.”
“Oh, you’re fucking kidding me.” Korey groaned, sitting down in his seat.
“Hey, nice shirt.” Arriana smiled, drawing my attention to the Blindside shirt Korey was wearing.
“You like Blindside?”
“Hellz yeah, I fucking idolize Tomas Naslund, he’s the reason I took up Bass.”
“Haha, I used to find Christian Lindskog shit hot.” I giggled.
“I think everyone did in ’02.” He laughed.
“Wish he still looked like that, actually--” I looked him up and down. “You actually do a little.” I smiled.
“Haha, thanks.” He blushed a little.
“So he plays Bass…” Joey cut in. “I play drums, Arriana plays guitar, Jackie sings…” The widest smile spread across his face. “We should totally start a fucking band!”
“Fuck yeah!” Korey grinned. “That’d be awesome.”
“We should jam together sometime soon then.” I smiled. “Joey, is there still room in your Dad’s garage?”
“Yeah, my drum kit’s still in there, and there’s more than enough room for a whole band to practice, and I’m pretty sure my Dad has a mike and stand somewhere around.”
“Awesome, this Saturday?”
“Sounds like a plan.” They all spoke in unison…