Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 52

Something caught my eye as I passed the notice board in the Music room the following morning. It was for a Battle Of The Bands that Maxwells was going to be holding in Hoboken.

A huge smile spread across my face, it couldn’t have been timed any more perfectly; as Joey, Arriana, Korey and I had just agreed to form a band yesterday.

Also, it’d be a great opportunity for Gerard and his band, too. That was of course, after I informed the boys that I was going to leave their band to focus on my own. Besides, Gerard was so talented, he didn’t need me. I just hoped he’d understand.

When I entered the room I found Gerard helping the other singers set up the microphones. He smiled when he noticed I’d entered, and came over to hug me, giving me a short but sweet peck on the lips, before returning to helping out the girls.

“Gee… Did you see the new flyer on the notice board in the hall?”
“Yeah, I did.” He smiled.
“You gonna enter?”
“Hellz yeah, I think I owe the guys a good show, but I’ve got a lot to catch up on, I haven’t practiced with them in forever.”
“Yeah, I think it’d be a good way to bridge the gaps.” I smiled.
“You’re gonna sing with me, right?” He looked at me hopefully.
I looked down at my hands, rapping my nails on the table they had the box of mikes on. “Umm…” I gulped. “I’m sorry, Gee, but… I’m thinking I’m gonna leave the band.”
His expression dropped. “What? Why?”
“Because Joey, Arriana, Korey and I got talking yesterday, we decided to form a band together.”
“Hey, I know I’ve fucked up the last few months, but don’t leave the band over it.” He looked at me, and I could see tears in the corners of his eyes.
“Gee… It’s not because of you; I wanna do this for myself.” I explained, pleading with my eyes for him to understand.
“It won’t be the same without you.”
“Your band is incredible, with or without me, you honestly don’t need me.” I said, rubbing his back reassuringly.
“Guess I’m face to face with my competition then.” He flashed a brief smile, but it quickly faded back to a sad frown.

There wasn’t really much more I could say at that point, but I knew Gerard, he’d come around in time…