Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 56

It seemed only yesterday that I’d started at Newark High after Summer Break, and already, the school year was almost over. The final week of eleventh grade brought with it a decreased amount of stress, and a relief from the immense workload we’d had to deal with leading up to exams.

But exams were over now, and what was usually a painfully difficult Math lesson, was now spent watching some stupid-ass Disney Channel’esque Aaron Carter movie called Pop Star, whose only tie to the subject was Aaron’s character getting some high school chick to help him out in Calculus, since he had his head far too up his own ass to pay attention to anything other than his fame.

But I was suddenly relieved from the lame-ass movie when Principal Sanders’s voice boomed through the loudspeaker from the roof in the corner of the classroom.

“Dear students, after counting each and every one of your votes, I am proud to announce this year’s nominees for Prom King and Queen.”

“I forgot we had Prom coming up.” I hissed to Arriana, who sat beside me.
“How could you forget Prom?” She laughed. “The flyers have been all over the hallways, and it’s the talk of the school right now.” She said, before turning her attention back to the loudspeaker as Sanders began to announce the nominees;

“The nominees for this year’s Prom King are as follows; Sean Walters.”

“Pfft, saw that one coming.” I scoffed.

“Ray Toro.”

Arriana and I both shared a wide-eyed look of surprise.

“And Gerard Way.”

I turned my attention to the far back right corner of the room, where Gerard sat, trying to hide how red his face had become, and smiled and nodded at him in congrats.

“Which brings us to our nominees for Prom Queen;” Sanders continued. “Danica Kane.”

Normally, I would have rolled my eyes and mockingly congratulated the school’s Queen Bee, but she wasn’t the person she used to be. Jessica’s death seemed to have changed her, in more ways than one. Along with her new friendly nature, Danica had swapped her usual short skirts, short shorts and plunging v-necks, for full length jeans and much less revealing tops. She had even added a splattering of purple to the fringe of her formerly platinum, now golden blonde hair.

“Arriana Gregorio.” Sanders announced.

“Fuck yeah!” I cheered, hi-fiving Arriana.

“And Jaqualine James.”

“Ergh.” I groaned. “It’s Jackie, I hate Jaqualine…”
Arriana laughed. “Quit your bitchin, you’re nominated for Prom Queen, it’s an honor.”

I turned in my chair, looking back over at Gerard again, he’d obviously been staring at me, for he quickly dropped his head and buried himself in his drawing again…

***

The hallway was crazy as I came out of Math, with the end of the school year within our grasp, the students of Newark High had really begun to let loose. The play fights that were usually only spotted during the return from Summer Break had begun again, and half of the flyers on the notice boards had either been torn off or were hanging by one pin.

“Jackie.” Gerard called out from behind me, tugging on my backpack when he got close enough.
“Hey, Gee.” I smiled, turning to face him. “What’s up?”
“I, I was just wondering…” He dropped his head and hid behind his hair, before flicking it out of his face and speaking again. “If anyone had asked you to Prom yet?”
I couldn’t contain the massive grin that spread across my face. “Yes, Gerard, I’ll go with you.”
“Really?” He asked, his eyes widening and that big ass smile that had been so absent lately finally returning to his face.
“Really.” I smiled…
♠ ♠ ♠
Here we are, another update, but unless people start commenting, I'm not going to update as often. Seriously not impressed, a lot of you message me demanding updates but when I do, you don't even comment to show you've been reading, hence I feel there is no reason to be updating. Keep the story alive, and leave comments. Please?
Only nine chapters to go...

Rayven Sorrows xo