Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 6

It’s my third week at Newark High and I’m in Music. The teacher’s letting us have a jamming session, if we come up with anything good, we have to show her in the last ten minutes of the lesson.

“Jackie, come with us” says Mikey, and I follow him and the rest of the boys into one of the practice rooms.

Mikey picks up his Bass.
Frank and Ray grab their Guitars.
Bob sits down behind the Drums.
Gerard stands in front with a microphone.

I turn to Jessica.

“What?” she asks.
“What about you?” I say.
“Oh, I’m not in the band” Jessica says with a cheeky smile.

“Yeah, she’s just a groupie” says Gerard.
“Who’s fucking the lead singer” jokes Frank.

Gerard swings the microphone at him, Frank dodges it, laughing. We hear a tap on the door and see Mrs Lynch pointing at Gerard through the window with a warning look. He gives her a cheeky grin, she rolls her eyes and walks away.

“So what’s your band called anyway?” I ask.
“My Chemical Romance” says Gerard.
“Well play me something then boys” I say.

Ray starts to play his guitar.

“Long ago, just like the hearse you die to get in again, we are so far from you” sings Gerard, in a voice that starts as a kind of deep growl, but lowers to a whisper.

Bob starts up on the drums and the others join in, Ray now doing backing vocals.

“Burning on, just like a match you strike to incinerate the lives, of everyone you know” Gerard continues, now singing louder and in a kind of wail, but controlled so it sounds good.

They continue to play.

“And if you carry on this way, things are better if I stay, so long and goodnight, so long and goodnight” Gerard finishes.

“Wow, that was really good, what was that song called?” I ask.
“Helena” answers Gerard.
“Hey, she should try that new song we were working on” says Mikey.
“Yeah, you should, come here Jackie” says Gerard.

I get up and he passes me a microphone. Ray starts on his guitar, and then Bob joins him on the drums.

“Well, when you go, don't ever think I'll make you turn to stay, and maybe when you get back, I'll be off to find another way” sings Gerard.

Mikey joins in on his bass, and Frank joins on his guitar. Gerard points to the lyrics.

“You take the next part” he says.

“And after all this time that you still owe, you're still the good for nothing I don't know, so take your gloves and get out, you better get out, while you can” I sing, Gerard smiles and nods.

“When you go, would you even turn to say, I don't love you, like I did yesterday" we sing together.

We finish as Mrs Lynch comes in.

“Not bad Jackie, not bad, I think you’ve found your band a female vocalist Gerard” she says.
“Yeah, I think so, what do ya say Jackie?” Gerard asks.
“Wait, what?” I say.
“Do ya wanna join the band?” he replies.
“You serious?” I say.
“Yeah” says Gerard.
“Alright, sure, why not?” I say.
“Awesome” Gerard says.

***

It’s after lunch and I’m in Photography with Jessica, only there’s a small problem…

“Jess will you please just speak to me?” I say.

Jessica just rolls her eyes, and continues to edit photos on her computer.

“Jess, please, what’d I do?” I plead.
“You think you’re so good don’t you!” Jessica snaps, and I jump at her sudden aggressiveness.
“Excuse me?” I say.
“Oh don’t give me that bullshit Jackie, you think you’re sooo good cuz Gerard asked you to be in his band!” she retaliates.
“What? No! Jess, is that what all this is about?” I say.
“Not just that Jackie! I see the way you look at Gerard, you better watch yourself, he’s my boyfriend! Not yours!” snaps Jessica.
“What? What way I look at Gerard?! Jess, I barely know him!” I say.

The bell signaling the end of class sounds, and Jessica shuts her computer down, before swinging her bag over her back, and quickly walking out of the classroom.

“I’m telling you, that girl’s got issues” says Sean Walters.
“Fuck you Sean, why don’t you mind your own business!” I snap at him, before turning and leaving the classroom myself…
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so Chapters 1 to 11 are kinda crappy, I got better at writing over time, also, the point of view changes at some point, I can't remember when, but changes from present to past tense later on.