Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 60

Gerard and I stood backstage, holding hands in a long chain of hands and arms that linked our two bands together, awaiting the big announcement of who won the title of winner of Maxwell’s Battle Of The Bands. Geoff Rickely took the stage, and began to speak;

“The competition was really close this year, we have some seriously amazing new talent blooming here in Jersey, it was so difficult to pick who deserved the title of winner. I must ask you all, no matter who wins tonight, if it’s not you, please don’t be discouraged, you all performed beautifully, and you’re all fucking rockstars.” He cleared his throat. “But of course, there can only be one winner.”

Gerard’s grip on my hand tightened as we waited for the winning band’s name to be called out.

“The winner of this year’s Battle Of The Bands is The Used.” Geoff announced.

The crowd exploded with applause, hoots, and hollers, kids chanting The Used’s name, and Bert, Jeph, Quinn and Dan all ran past us to thank the crowd.

“Thank you so much New Jersey!” Bert called out to the crowd. “Time for one final song I think, and we’ll give you just that, if you give us a moment to get set up.” He smiled.

I turned to Gerard, he was frowning, seeming seriously disappointed.

“Gee.” I spoke. “You did great.”
“Can’t have been that great if we didn’t win.” He scowled.

“Excuse me?” A familiar voice spoke, and the two of us noticed Geoff Rickely standing in front of us. “Gerard, Mikey, Ray, Frank, Bob, could I have a word?” He asked.
The guys gathered around me and Gerard, and Geoff continued;
“You guys are unlike any band I have ever seen live, you’re so unique, and your energy onstage is incredible, I’d like to sponsor your band, and sign you to an indie label I run called Eyeball Records, are you interested?”
Gerard looked lost for words, and so Mikey spoke for him; “Are you serious?” He gasped, wide eyed with disbelief.
“Dead serious.” Geoff grinned.
“We’re in!” Frank exclaimed, and the others murmured as they all agreed.
“Awesome, well, here’s my card.” He smiled, handing a small card to Gerard. “See you guys at the Eyeball Records house!”

He walked away, and Gerard stared after him, still lost for words. I threw my arms around him; I was so proud of him. This was just what the guys needed; a stepping stone, a foot in the door, the first step towards their dream.

“This is really happening.” Gerard grinned, finally able to speak again.
“Yes, it is!” I smiled. “You deserve it, Gerard.”

He put his arm around me, and the nine of us watched The Used’s encore performance together. When they finished and all came offstage, Gerard approached Bert;

“Hey.” He smiled
Bert looked shocked that Gerard was speaking to him. “Oh, hey Gerard.”
“I just wanna congratulate you on a great show, you were amazing out there.” He turned to Jeph, Quinn and Dan. “All of you.”
“Wow.” Bert ran a hand through his long, greasy black hair. “I don’t know what to say.” He smiled. “Thanks, man.”
“You deserve it.” Gerard said, returning Bert’s smile.
“Hey man, I’m sorry about everything with the drugs and whatnot.” Bert apologized, extending his hand to Gerard.
He took it. “Don’t even worry about it man.”
A devious smirk spread across Bert’s face. “Come here, you motherfucker.” He said, pulling Gerard in for a brotherly hug.

I watched with a smile on my face, everything was just falling into place…
♠ ♠ ♠
And the last update for the night : )
5 CHAPTERS TO GO!!!

Comment and Subscribe!

Rayven Revenge xx