Status: Complete

Under Jersey Skies

Chapter 9

It’s my 6th week at Newark High and I’m sitting in the music room, which is my home group room, with Jessica, Gerard, Ray, Bob and Frank. Mikey is a grade below us, so we’re not in any of his classes except for Music, which the year 10’s and 11’s do together.

“You hear the news around the school this morning?” asked Jessica.
“No, what?” I replied.
“Danica’s having a party this Friday” Jessica said excitedly.
“Yeah, like she’s gonna invite us” I huffed, rolling my eyes.
“Please, she invites everyone, it’s practically social suicide if you don’t go” said Ray.
“Yeah, and you don’t even have to hang out with her, you can just hang out with who you’d normally hang out with” added Frank.
“So it’s pretty much a party for everyone” said Bob.
“Cool” I said.
“Yeah, you wouldn’t think Danica would be that nice as to actually let you do what you want at her party huh?” Gerard said.
“No, Danica usually only cares about herself” I said.
“Not when it comes to her parties, or maybe she does, maybe she’s afraid that if she doesn’t invite everyone she’ll lose her popularity” said Jessica.
“Guys, shh!, she’s coming!” Ray whispered loudly.

“Hey guys” said Danica, greeting us with what could be a kind smile if there wasn’t such an ugly personality behind it.
“Hey” Gerard said for all of us.
“Ok listen, I know we’re not really friends but I was wondering if you might want to come to my party?” Danica asked cheerfully.
“Sure, we’ll be there” said Jessica.
“Alright, see you on Friday then!” said Danica, and she turns and walks away, her long blonde hair swinging behind her.

“I like her when she’s like that” said Ray.
“Like what?” Frank asked him.
“Nice” replied Ray.

Gerard snorts with laughter.

“Please man, Danica, nice?” he laughed…

***

“I just can not wait until Friday” said Jessica during English that afternoon.
“Wait” I said, dropping my pen.
“What?” Jessica asked.
“I can’t go” I said.
“Why?” asked Jessica.
“Because Dad would never let me, I mean what with the drugs, the alcohol” I explained.
“Ok. easy, you sleep over my place on Friday, and we’ll sneak out” says Jessica.
“No, my Dad’s not that stupid” I said.
“But my parents are, just don’t even mention the party, say you’re sleeping at my house, and we’ll sneak out together, I was gonna sneak out anyway” said Jessica.
“Oh, I don’t know Jess” I said.
“Jackie, please, he’ll never find out, I’m an expert at this stuff, we won’t get caught” she replied.
“Pinky promise” I said, holding out my finger.
“Jackie, what’re you, five?” teased Jessica.
“Just promise me” I said.
“Ok, I promise” said Jessica, hooking her finger with mine…
♠ ♠ ♠
Okay, so Chapters 1 to 11 are kinda crappy, I got better at writing over time, also, the point of view changes at some point, I can't remember when, but changes from present to past tense later on.