‹ Prequel: Just like Heaven

In Me it Shows

Familiar steps

The smell of hospital filled my nostrils as I sat on the plastic chair. Nervous filled my whole body in anticipation.

“Daddy is Mommy gonna be okay?” I heard my four-year-old son ask me from a chair next to me.

I looked at him and smiled, “Yes, Mommy is going to be just fine. And when she gets out she will bring you a present.” I kissed the top of his head, placing him in my lap. He had his mother’s blue eyes.

“She’s gonna bring me a bike?” He clapped his hands excitedly. I smiled once again and shook my head.

Right at that moment there was a woman in labor being rolled down to the delivery room, screaming while her husband was walking next to her, his face paled. My heart started beating faster, hearing the screams coming from the room my wife was giving birth.

I remembered how excited I was when my son was born. I remembered how scared I was, holding a little baby in my arms, afraid that I might drop it on the ground, or hurt him. But, the years of having him around and watching him grow, was proven worth it.

“Mr. Stumph? Patrick Stumph?” I heard the voice of the doctor addressing to me and looked at him. “Congratulation, you have a baby girl,” he said and walked me to the window, behind which were babies sleeping. I saw a nurse walking in and putting a baby wrapped in a pink blanket into a little plastic crib.

The baby had a bracelet with a name “Stumph” written on it. I placed my hand on the glass, felling simply and utterly happy. I felt something pulling my jacket and looked at my other little miracle, looking at me with his gorgeous blue eyes. I smiled and picked him up; moving his finger along the glass to the place his sister was sleeping.

“There is your baby sister,” I whispered in his ear, and kissed his temple. “Come on, let’s go see Mommy.” I placed him down on his feet and we walked into the room, where Natalie was resting.

“Hey you two,” she said in crooked voice, exhausted.

“She’s just beautiful,” I said kissing her chapped lips and sitting next to her. “She’s perfect.” She nodded and closed her eyes taking a deep breath.

“Hey there little buddy. Have you seen your baby sister?” he nodded and hugged his mother.

“Daddy, where do babies come from?” My four-year-old asked. I began stuttering and shifting in my seat. I looked at Natalie for a way out and she was smiling faintly.

“Come here,” she patted the seat next to her. He jumped on the bed, dangling his legs in the air from a high bed. “You see, when Mommy and Daddy love each other very, very much, they close their eyes and make a wish. Then a fairy comes and touches Mommy’s stomach and fairy’s magic creates a baby inside, making it grow. And one day, when the baby is big enough and ready to come out and meet Mommy and Daddy...”

“And little Matty,” he interrupted telling his name.

Natalie smiled and continued, “...Mommy and Daddy and little Matty, then the fairy comes again and move her magic wand and baby appears in Mommy’s hands.”

He nodded his head. I patted his shaggy hair. The door opened and a nurse walked in, carrying the little baby in her arms. She passed the baby carefully to me. The first second I lay my eyes on the little girl, I fell in love.

“Mat, say hello to Layla,” I whispered.

He looked at her poking her lightly with his finger. The baby grabbed his finger and cooed, making Mat smile and look at me. I smiled back.

Mat moved his finger a little, making Layla cooing some more.

“She’s ugly,” was his conclusion. “When fairy comes to me, I will wish for the prettiest baby in the world,” he said sticking his head up.

I smiled at him. Someday he will know that no matter what, his child will be the prettiest to him.
♠ ♠ ♠
Whatcha think?