Status: Active

I Know Everything Will Be Alright

You Will Catch Me If I Fall

Brian could only stare at Jimmy as he tried to figure out how the hell his best friend knew.

“Come on, Brian,” Jimmy said with a laugh before taking another drag off of his cigarette. “You have absolutely nothing to say?”

“How did you…” Brian trailed off.

“Dude, you honestly think the powers that be would just throw you into this all alone?” Jimmy chuckled.

“Powers that be?” Brian asked in confusion.

“Yeah, you know, the Big Man upstairs,” Jimmy replied.

“Since when do you believe in God?” Brian questioned.

“For a while now,” Jimmy answered quietly before staring at his best friend. “But seriously, how are you holding up?”

“I don’t know, man. Part of me is scared shitless, but an even bigger part of me is so happy for this second chance with Amber,” Brian sighed.

“What about the kids?” Jimmy questioned.

“Jake knows I’m not his ‘dad’. I feel bad for the kid because he’s missing his father and I know I look the part, but I’m definitely not the man that kid knows as his dad,” Brian explained.

“Jake will be fine. He’s a great kid and he’s tough like his dad,” Jimmy said with a small smile on his lips.

“Why is this happening?” Brian asked.

“Not sure, dude. All I know is that you’re here until you complete your mission,” Jimmy said.

“What mission?” Brian inquired with a raised eyebrow.

“Hell if I know. I’m here to make sure you don’t do something completely crazy. Consider me your ‘spirit guide’,” Jimmy snickered before putting out his cigarette.

“How long does this mission take?” Brian asked.

“No fucking clue, man,” Jimmy replied before slinging his right arm around Brian’s shoulders. “Just do the best you can and try to remember what it was like to feel truly happy.”

Brian went to respond, but something through the window caught his attention. Zacky was holding Molly up in the air while the baby squealed in delight. Matt had his arms full of Jake and his son, Nick. Amber stood beside Val and Gena as they laughed at the men and children. Sensing his eyes, Amber’s gaze met his own. She gave him a soft smile.

“I think you’re getting the hang of it,” Jimmy chuckled before opening the sliding glass door and stepping back inside. Brian followed behind him.

“Dada!” Molly’s excited shriek met him as she dangled in the air from Zacky’s arms. Brian smiled at the baby before reaching up to run his index finger down her soft cheek. A pair of arms wrapped around his waist at that moment. Looking down at the hands resting on his stomach, he smiled when he recognized the wedding band and ring on his wife’s left hand.

“I’ve never seen a kid love her daddy more,” Amber whispered against his ear causing a shiver to go down Brian’s spine. God, how he had missed this woman.

“She’s definitely a Daddy’s girl,” Matt said with a chuckle as he brought Jake over to his parents. The little boy went into his father’s arms before letting out a loud yawn.

“Me too, kid,” Johnny mumbled from his perch on one of the bar stools. Everyone laughed before they began rounding up children and spouses. Within fifteen minutes, Brian found himself behind the wheel of a black Tahoe heading back towards home.

“You okay?” Amber asked quietly after turning to see that both children were asleep in their car seats.

“Yeah, why?” Brian returned casting a sideways glance at her.

“You’ve been awfully quiet. Normally when we’re all together we can’t get you to shut up,” Amber said with a quiet chuckle.

“I’m fine, Am. I’m promise,” Brian answered with a smile on his face. Yeah right, his conscience muttered. You’re scared out of your mind because you know that at any moment this will all be taken away from you.
♠ ♠ ♠
Thanks for the comments!!!!!!!!!!!!