Status: Fin.

I'll Be Your Girl

17

Joe watches with deep confusion as Remy drives away, then turns questioning eyes on Nick. “What happened?”

Nick shakes his head as he walks into the house, running a hand through his curls. “She found out about Elise.”

“Hot Elise?” Joe asks, frowning.

“Can you not call her th-?”

“For once, it’s not a compliment,” Joe deadpans. “That girl annoys me, thinking she can get whatever or whoever she wants, just because she’s attractive.”

Nick grimaces, thinking back to when he actually liked her. “Yeah, we all know her true nature; thanks for the unnecessary bitching, Joe.”

“Tou-chy,” Joe intones, following Nick into the kitchen where he’s pacing, a freaked out look in his eyes. “So… obviously Remy took it badly.”

Nick stops for a moment to give his brother a withering look. “You think?” He quickly picks up his pacing again, scrunching his hand back into his curls. “Damnit Joe, what am I going to do? She hates me.” He was so stupid - so stupid - to think that Remy’d never find out about his childhood crush on Elise. Who was he kidding all that time? Returning to New Jersey this time was supposed to be perfect; a best friends adventure with just him and Remy. But then Elise had started texting him again, and he’d had no idea how to tell her to back off - that he wasn’t interested anymore. He should’ve considered it a warning that time Remy snatched his cell away from him, so close to finding a text from Elise there. He should’ve just told her. Anything to not have her find out like… that. He grimaces at the painful memory.

“Remy could never hate you.”

Nick blinks at Joe, then shakes his head. “Did you see the look on her face?”

“Dude,” Joe mutters, walking over and placing both hands on his brother’s shoulders to make him stop moving, “if anything, she’s probably hating herself right now. You know how she is.”

Nick groans, raising his eyes to the ceiling as his mouth pulls downwards into a frown. “That’s even worse!” Joe squeezes his shoulders, trying to comfort him but not seeing any way in which it’ll actually work. “Don’t tell mum and dad,” Nick whispers after a few moments, as if Joe’s just caught him smoking or something.

Joe can’t help but smirk at this. “What, don’t want them to know that their perfect Nicky made a mistake?” Nick scowls, but Joe simply squeezes his shoulder. “It’s okay, bro. I’ll keep quiet as long as you try to fix this. I can’t stand seeing such a good friendship go to waste.”

Nick gives a miserable nod. “I’ll be lucky if she ever speaks to me again,” he mumbles.

“She will,” Joe soothes. “Just, give it a while and then call her. Ask her to hang out tonight.”

“I can’t. Elise’s dance concert, remember?”

Joe pulls a face. “So blow it off. Who’s more important?”

“I promised,” Nick groans, and Joe can’t even believe he’s actually thinking this way.

“Screw your promises, Nick! Remy’s your best friend and all you can think about is pleasing Elise Summers? Jeez, you’re just like all the other idiots that follow her around.” He shoves his little brother away, a look of disgust on his face. “Go on then. Fall over the beauty queen. Remy’s strong enough without you.”

Nick simply looks at him, a mixture of angst and hurt spreading across his features, and not another word is said before he strides out of the kitchen. Joe hears his feet thudding up the stairs and lets out a long breath as he leans against the kitchen counter. He’s got to promise himself that he won’t get involved in this. It’s Nick’s problem to solve, not his. But Remy…

Well, hopefully Remy won’t have to wait for long.
♠ ♠ ♠
Dedicated to controlled poison. because she actually is more brilliant than me. She steals my heart through caps.