Status: Comment If You Want. Finished!

Can You Hear Me?

Something Short Of Happy

“So what you’re saying is you want me to go with you? To Texas? To meet your family? For Christmas?” My hands shook trying to keep hold of the phone.
“Yes, Jessie. I think it’s time.” Mason responded positive.
“What if they don’t like me?” I followed negative.
“You act as if I haven’t brought home worse. When I was seven I brought home Molly Ann and told them I was going to marry her. She was a toad.” I laugh at his humor.
“I want to have a talk with this Molly Ann.”
“She died the next day after pissing on Mitchell.”
“Nice. So when are we leaving?” I gave in to him like always.
“Next Friday.” He replies. I lift the phone away from me.
“Amy! Where’s my suitcase?” I yell loud enough so any one in the apartment could hear.
“In the closet, why are you yelling? Why do you need a suitcase?” She replied walking into my room.
“I’m going to Texas next Friday.”
“Me too, but not with Mason. My family goes down and visits them for Christmas.” I smile and pull the phone to my ear.
“So, how was the surgery?” I asked now serious. He was silent for a few seconds.
“It was a success, I can perfectly hear you.” I smiled joyfully as he said it. His Cochlea surgery worked he has implants. He can hear me.
“I’m so happy for you.”
“Thanks. So Texas pack warm.”
“Okay, I’ll try my best.”
“Jessica, your shift starts in a half hour.” I sighed and responded to Amy.
“I know.” Then went back to Mason. “I have to get ready, so I can play bartender.”
“I’m with the bartender if you’re looking for me I’m at the bar with her.” I giggle at Mason. “I’ll see you at seven and in case you thought I forgot Happy Birthday.”
“Um thinks, I’m not too thrilled about it.” I sat down on my bed and ran my fingers through my hair. Twenty-two years, most of it wasted.
“Why not? You should be.” He pushed further.
“Because I’ve had twenty-two of them.”
“Okay then, see you at seven.”
“Don’t be late.”
“I won’t. Bye.”
“Love you.” I paused like I usually do when he says that.
“Love you too.” I follow and hang up. I fall back on my bed. What am I thinking?
~Later that Night~
“Now as a Kate’s Tradition the birthday girl, Jessica will sing for us.” Kate my boss, who is like the mother I wish I had cheered. It wasn’t a surprise in fact I had practiced this song for weeks. I was still nervous when I walked on to the stage with a guitar in hand. My hands were shaking. I sat on the stool in front of the microphone and breathed. I looked into the crowd and then saw Mason. He grinned and put his thumbs up. He made me brave.
“This isn’t an original song, it’s a cover, but it has a nice meaning to it. It’s called Two Is Better Than One it’s originally by Boys Like Girls.” I started with a few chords and then I wanted to sing. “I remember what you wore on our first date. You came into my life and I thought hey you know this could be something. Cause everything you do and words you say, you know that it all takes my breath away and now I‘m left with nothing.” I played more chords and breathed in and out hesitantly. “So maybe it‘s true that I can‘t live without you and maybe two is better than one, but there‘s so much time to figure out the best in my life and you‘ve already got me coming undone. I‘m thinking two is better than one.” I played more looking at Mason still smiling at me. “I remember every look upon your face. The way you roll your eyes, the way you taste, you make it hard for breathing. Cause when I close my eyes and drift away, I think of you and every things okay and I’m finally now believing and maybe it‘s true that I can‘t live without you and maybe two is better than one, but there‘s so much time to figure out the best in my life and you‘ve already got me coming undone. I‘m thinking two is better than one.” The song went on and I kept singing, but my mind was off somewhere else. To Mason and it was just him and I together in this room. If only it were true.
♠ ♠ ♠
Lalalalalalala...
<3Kelsey