I Just Had to Run

006

My foot steadily tapped against my foot pedal, the bass drum making its heavy rhythm.
Quickly, my hand reached to attack my cymbals and snare, leaving my toms for last.
Bret belted out the lyrics, swimming his mic around, over the heads of the kids in the crowd.
Jason’s hands moved at light speed on the heck of his guitar, his back was to Bret and I could see a concentrated look on his face as he mouthed the words and nodded to the beat.
I watched as Dylan plucked the strings of his bass, jumping onto my drum stand. We made eye contact with each other, never missing a beat of the song.
Finally, we hit the last note of the song, and the crowd cheered in response.
“Thank you everyone,” Bret exclaimed into his mic, “Get ready to have your faces pwned by Forever The Sickest Kids! We’re Ready, Get Set, Go! Have a great night.”
His mic dropped to the floor, the thud echoing around the stadium as we started to clear the set.

I took a quick swig of my water before I loosened my cymbals before disassembling them completely.
“Very good Best Friend.” Kyle said, dropping down next to me and working on my kick drums. A few girls started screaming his name, he waved and continued to help me.
“Thanks.” I grinned, grabbing my snare and tom, following him out to my trailer. We placed my drum set neatly inside before both of us turning to walk back inside.
Kyle hung his arm loosely around my shoulder as we walked back onto the stage and grabbed the remaining parts of my drums, some girl called out asking if we were dating and Kyle told me to just ignore her before picking up a few of my cymbals. I did as I was told, allowing his arm to fall from my shoulders as I grabbed the last of my drum kit and walked off the stage.
We quickly made our way back to my van and stored everything neatly in the trailer.
“You go on in ten minutes.” I told Kyle as we leaned against the cold metal. He shrugged and watched me as I grabbed a bottle of water from trailer, “Want one?” I asked him. He shook his head no in reply.
“So, what’s up with you and Kent?” he finally asked me, causing me to choke on my water.
“Nothing.” I simply answered, kicking my shoe against the pavement.
“It doesn’t seem like nothing.” Kyle told me, cracking his knuckles.
“I mean, well. I guess we’re becoming friends?” I asked, looking up at the tall blond. “I don’t know really.”
“Well, before you decide if you like him or not, he has someone coming to visit tomorrow, a lot of us guys do. Just wait until then before you decide anything.”
I gave him a confused look, but before I could say anything he told me it was time for him to go pray with the guys and he’d see me afterwards.

The lights dimmed and the fans went wild, knowing that the band that they paid to see was about to come on the stage. I saw them all lined up across the stage, waiting for their intro to play. A few of them were stretching, others jumping, I could see Jonathan’s mouth moving quickly, almost as if he were still praying.
Then, one by one, the walked onto the stage, taking their positions.
Fans continued to screams as they launched into their first song. The kids were singing along, smiling, dancing, jumping, crowd surfing. It was like magic, watching them interact.
I caught site of Kent as he looked over at me, a large grin on his face before he attacked his keyboard, jumping up and down, head banging as he played. I smiled as I watched him.
“he has someone coming to visit him tomorrow, a lot of us guys do.” Kyle’s voice sounded in my head. I continued to look at Kent, at how cute he was when he looked towards the crowd, or when he walked over to Caleb’s mic to talk to the crowd. His voice giving me chills it rang out in the venue.
“just wait until then to decide anything.” Kyle’s voice said again.
I gulped as Kent and I made eye contact. My stomach tightened and I had to lean against the wall.
Would it be bad if I told Kyle I already decided something?
That I already decided that I like Kent.
A lot.