Status: Work In Progress

Attatched at the Lips

Goodbye Freedom

I awoke the next morning feeling slightly odd. A few moments later, I found myself leaning over the toilet bowl in the bathroom that was across from my room. Heaving out the contents of my stomach, I tried to figure out what was wrong with me. A virus maybe? Or could it just be the depression of Bella's absence settling in? I wasn't sure what it was, but I already didn't like it at all.
Sighing, I stood up from my place in front of the toilet bowl and flushed away the disgusting remnants of stomach acid and last night's casserole. I cringed as I watched the horrid mixture swirl around the bowl counter clockwise and then drain into the sewer. Moving myself over to the sink, I washed my hands and thoroughly rinsed my mouth with mouthwash trying to rid myself of the gross taste.
After I spit and rinsed the sink out with warm water I padded my way down the hallway and into the kitchen/dinning room where mom and Phil were. Phil was sitting at the table doing a crossword in the paper, while mom leaned against the counter sipping at a steaming cup of coffee. Don't get me wrong, both my mom and Phil new very well that I was engaged, and neither of them were naive enough to think that Damien and I didn't have sex. So when I told them that I'd just tossed my cookies, their reaction didn't surprise me in the least.
"Oh Honey, okay I'm going to run to the drug store to get a few things. You stay here with Phil and I'll be right back." Mom had told me as she started putting on her shoes and grabbed the car keys from the rack beside the door. After the door slammed shut behind her I walked gracefully (something that my sister and I differed in) to the cupboard that held the cups, grabbed a tall glass, and took it over to the fridge where I filled it to just short of the brim with orange juice. I placed the jug back in the fridge and shut it before taking a sip of the glass I'd poured myself. Screwing my face up, I remembered just how bad orange juice tasted after brushing your teeth or using mouthwash.
Ignoring that fact, I relaxed my face, and sat down at the table with Phil. He peeked at me over the paper and then said, "You do realize that she's going to get a pregnancy test, right?" he asked me, wondering about my sanity. He'd never approved of my premarital sex with my fiance, even though we'd always used protection. Though, there was always a chance.
"A pregnancy test?" I countered him jokingly, "You and I both know she'll come back with at least 2, maybe 3." I said in a humorous tone. He chuckled lightly and went back to his crossword. Phil and I were never really on bad terms, he and I just both had an understanding that he would never take the place of my father because... well lets face it, he's too young to be my father and he's just not Dad. But that was fine, because he was more like an uncle to me even if he'd married my mother.
"So tell me Vex, if you are pregnant, do you want it to be a boy or a girl?" he asked absent minded.
I didn't even have to think before answering, I already knew and had known since I was 15 when Damien and I started planning our future. "I want our first child to be a boy." I stated simply.
"Wait, so you want to have more with him?" he asked me incredulously.
"Well yeah, I plan to spend the rest of my life with him, and if this is the start of our family, then great. We've already agreed on 2 or 3 kids and that we'd both prefer the eldest to be a boy." I said again, with barely any thought to it. I didn't have to think about this stuff, I'd known it for so long that it was just common sense to me.
Phil didn't say anything but shook his head and wrote down another word before erasing it only seconds later. While he tried to complete the puzzle I finished off what was left of my orange juice. When the glass was empty save for a few last drops, I got up and placed it in the sink, put some water in it, and left the kitchen. Phil was still no further along in his crossword, but that was expected. He always tried, but never succeeded in completing one. I was just crossing the foyer in front of the door, between the kitchen and dinning area and the living room, when the door swung open and in came my disorientated mom holding a bag of whatever she had picked up at the store.
When she saw my pajama clad body looking back at her she smiled and ushered me to my room. Once inside, she shut the door behind us, and sat us both down on my bedside. "Now Vex," she began "you know that I'm aware you have had sex with Damien before, you are after all engaged. So just to be safe, I picked up a few pregnancy tests along with some medication in case you are actually sick." she explained, all the while pulling out the bag's contents singularly. Out of the bag came 3 pregnancy tests, and then 2 different bottles medication along with a small bottle of pills. These things now occupied the space between us and I grabbed a test. Flipping it around a few times looking for the directions and such, I grew nervous. I wasn't scared of being pregnant, but what if Damien wasn't ready? Shoving those thoughts to the back of my mind I started reading, I mean, every teenager probably thought something like that at first.
Basically, it told me nothing of use. So I opened up the box, and there was the unused test, staring back at me, and wrapped around it was a full sheet of things that you should know. Opening up the sheet, I looked at it blankly. My mom took the sheet from me, handed me the test and said, "Pee on this end of it, and then bring it here right away, I'll help you with the rest. You'll take another test tonight, and the last tomorrow."
I nodded and left the room to do my business, stick-like-test in hand, and a determined look on my face. Okay, so I have no idea why I looked determined, but I was. Sitting down on the toilet, I dropped my pants and undergarments and did what I had to do. When I was finished, I set it on the counter by the sink and pulled up my pants and underwear. And, wanting to get out of there and back with my mom quickly, I made short work of flushing the toilet and washing my hands, before grabbing the test and all but running back into my room that only yesterday I shared with my beloved sister. But I wouldn't think of that now, I had so many other things to worry about, to occupy my mind with at the moment.
I closed the door behind me, and sat on the bed next to my mom. She pulled out her phone and noted that the time was 10:28 am. "Okay, we have 5 agonizingly long minutes to wait, so I suggest you find something to do to make the time pass faster. God knows I spent the time pacing the floor as I waited to check for both you and your sister." and with that said I stood up from the bed and paced the space between mine and Bella's beds, waiting for the clock to hit 10:33.
Just like Mom had predicted it would, time seemed to slow to an almost stand still. I was checking the time every 30 seconds or so it seemed, and when I wasn't willing the time to go faster, I was biting my nails and internally debating whether I would prefer to be with child, or without.
When I checked the clock for the tenth time, I was baffled at how I'd missed the exact 5 minute mark, and that it was now 10:34. Gasping just a little, I practically dived for the test, but slipped and somehow ended up on my butt. Looking up at where the test had been that held my fate, I saw that it was not there when it clearly had been a moment ago. I heard an almost giggle above me and looked to see my mom holding the test over my head with a Cheshire grin. Just as I reached up to grab it she held it closer to her face, and out of my reach. As she read it, her expression stayed, well... expressionless. After a few moments, she handed me the stick. I closed my eyes and took a deep breath. When I opened them, the first thing I saw was a little, tiny colored sign on the white test. And in the span of 5 seconds, my entire world changed. As of right that moment, I was going to be a mother. And to tell you the truth, I was scared shitless.