I'll Keep My Promise.

2/2

I climbed out of my car and looked up at the house I had not seen in 9 years. I really couldn't believe I missed my high school graduation to come here, it was really a spur of the moment idea. But I knew I had to do it. And now I was wishing I hadn't. What was I supposed to say? What was I supposed to do? Gosh, I feel like an idiot.

I walked through the white gate and down the path, up to the front door. I knocked lightly, unsure if they even still lived here. I heard someone on the other side of the door, and it soon swung open to reveal a man in about his fifties. I recognized him instantly. John's father. We stood there staring at each other, waiting for me to gather words. He clearly did not recognize me. “H-Hi Rick.” I smiled slightly, as he did the same, finally recognizing me. He pulled me into a hug, greeting me back with open arms. We broke apart and he dragged me through the door. I saw Ann sitting in the living room and ran over to give her a hug, glad to finally see them again.

“Son! Get down here!” Rick shouted excitedly. I heard footsteps on the stairs, and my breath hitched. I wanted to hide. I didn't know what to do. He turned the corner and stopped, staring at his dad with a bored expression. “What?” he asked. Then, he looked around. His eyes fell upon me, and he squinted a bit. He looked unsure of himself. “R-Rosy?” At this point his parents fled the room, giving us time. I made one quick bound to him and wrapped my arms tightly around him, whispering “I told you I'd come back.”