‹ Prequel: Legion Of Rockstars

The Federation

How You've Been?

I sighed and closed my eyes, resting my open book in my lap to press my palms hard against my eyelids. I’d been reading the same sentence over and over again for the past five minutes, each time hoping I’d get some sense out of it. But I simply couldn’t concentrate. I’d get three words into the sentence, and already my mind would begin to wander. Maybe all I needed was a respite, a nice little break.

I slid my hands roughly down my face, picking up the book and sliding my bookmark into place between the pages. I closed it and balanced it on the arm of the chair, raising my head to instead focus my attention on the beautiful view of the forest through the large bay of windows. Fall had just arrived, so that the trees looked like big puffs of colored cotton balls, all the oranges, reds, browns, and greens blending together.

The only thing I heard from the lounge behind me was the drone of the television. Usually, the lounge was the last place to head to if someone wanted peace and quiet, but I guess something about the changing seasons made everyone feel tranquil and serene.

Right, a mountain full of rockstars feeling serene and tranquil. That’s about as likely as a stork dropping a baby off in my lap.

“Hey.”

I twisted around to peer over the back of the armchair. Pink smiled from where she stood behind my armchair. I smiled back, and she walked around and kneeled beside my armchair. She crossed her arms and rested them on the arm, placing her chin delicately on top of her arms.

“So, um...how you’ve been since...” she asked awkwardly, trailing away and looking hopefully up at me. I think she was hoping I’d catch on to what she was asking without her having to actually ask it. For several moments I just stared at her in thoughtful confusion, trying to come up with exactly what had happened recently that would change the way I felt.

And then it hit me.

“Oh! Since the break-up?” I asked, comprehension dawning suddenly. Pink nodded, looking relieved that I’d caught on. “Just fine.”

She gave me an odd look. Okay, so maybe I wasn’t exactly like my old self anymore. But that could be expected after a break-up. I’d get over it. I’d get over it faster if Jimmy stopped being a bitch about it, though.

“Why did you two break up, anyway?” Pink asked curiously, deciding not to call my bluff when I said I was fine. I sighed, surprised she hadn’t already heard it from someone who heard it from their friend who heard it from their roommate who heard it from their team leader who heard it from Amy who heard it from me. Jimmy and I had dated for about three months. That was quick enough for the entire Legion to realize we were dating. At the time of this conversation, Jimmy and I had already been broken up for a month. In that month, most of the Legion either asked me or asked someone close to me why we broke up, and soon the news traveled fast. Still, I’d constructed a simple answer that maybe wasn’t exactly the truth, nor was it a lie, but that everyone seemed to accept.

“I think we both just preferred the casual relationship we had before,” I said. That answer sufficed in Pink’s book, and she patted my hand soothingly before straightening to her feet.

“If ever you need someone to talk to, just come find me,” Pink told me. I nodded and thanked her. She walked away as my pager vibrated against my hip. I slipped it off of my belt loop: Someone to see you in Joan’s office. Hoping it would be someone I’d be glad to see, I grabbed my book and stood up, heading out of the abnormally quiet lounge.
♠ ♠ ♠
Sorry if there are mistakes. I was too lazy to proofread.

And I hate Mondays.

I apologize for it's shortness. Oh well.

Comments? Please?