‹ Prequel: Legion Of Rockstars

The Federation

Retaliation

Carter’s arm fell away from my waist. I followed his hand as it went towards the elevator’s buttons: the one that read Recreation glowed white. Carter’s palm slammed into the emergency button, and the elevator stuttered to a halt. The lights dimmed and the background music switched off, leaving us standing in dim silence. I looked around at Carter’s face. He looked furious and terrified at the same time, and for the first time ever, he scared me. The elevator felt suddenly much too small, Carter was way too big and strong, and I was way too weak and defenseless.

“I loved you, Asher!” he screamed at me, pivoting his body towards me and clenching his fists at his sides. I took an involuntary step back, my body instantly shooting into defensive mode, but Carter grabbed my bruised wrist tightly and dragged me back towards him, placing his face mere inches from mine. My limbs locked, and I found myself utterly immobile.

Brave up, Asher, c’mon. Your fucking life depends upon it!

“We’re engaged!” Carter shrieked, his voice thick with pain. I might’ve felt sorry for him, you know, if he hadn’t attacked my home and comrades and held my hand so tightly it was merely a blanket of blue and purple now. “There wasn’t even the slightest possibility that we weren’t going to get married! And you threw it all way for them!” He spat out “them”. I opened my mouth to speak, maybe try at some feeble jab to his ego, but closed it soon enough when my vocal cords refused to make any noise apart from that weird clicking noise from The Grudge. “I fucking hate you, Asher Tallarico!”

He shoved me back away from him in disgust. Those six words seemed to fill my motionless limbs with new life. He hated me? Well, good! I wanted nothing more for him to hate me, so I could gladly kick his ass without feeling too bad about it.

As Carter stood glaring at me, waiting for some sort of response from me, my back straightened and I lifted my chin in a defiant gesture. He wanted a response? Well, he’s gonna get one.

“That’s fucking fabulous!” I yelled, no hint of sarcasm in my voice. I was completely serious, and even a little gleeful at the thought that he hated me. I laughed briefly, and Carter looked a little unsure. “Because you know what? I don’t love you, either! I’ve hated your guts ever since you threatened my friends and my home! Jimmy was so fucking right about you!”

Then, I drove the nail into the coffin and tore my engagement ring off of my finger and proceeded to chuck it at Carter. It caught him right between the eyes, bouncing off to roll across the elevator towards the corner, its diamonds glinting in the dimmed lighting. Carter watched it for several moments before lifting his gaze back to my face. He looked beyond furious now. That’s when I decided maybe that hadn’t been such a good idea. Oh well, at least I could die with some sort of satisfaction.

Carter’s lips drew back from his teeth and he growled in the back of his throat. I retreated quickly from him, but in two strides he’d caught up with me. His hands closed hard on either side of my ribcage, and he lifted me from the ground and turned, throwing me bodily across the elevator. My head hit the metal railing running around the length of the elevator hard and I slumped back against the elevator wall.

I could barely focus on Carter as he advanced towards me with his fist raised, much less protect myself. I raised an arm to block the blow of his fist, but it never came. Instead, Carter paused at some noise I hadn’t heard. Then, something heavy landed on top of the elevator.

Both Carter and I looked up towards the top of the elevator. The little trap door at the top of the elevator lifted upward, at first only revealing the dark elevator shaft. Then, out of nowhere, two feet dropped into the elevator, connected to two long legs, a long torso, and finally an extremely familiar head.

Jimmy landed directly between Carter and me, facing Carter. His fists instantly clenched, and he didn’t allow Carter time to get over his surprise before he caught him a good right hook on the jaw. Carter stumbled, falling against the side of the elevator as his hand rose to his jaw. Scowling, he shoved away from the side of the elevator, coming at Jimmy with his fist raised.

Jimmy dodged Carter’s punch while simultaneously shoving his fist hard into Carter’s stomach. As Carter grunted and fell back again, I was reminded of the last scuffle Jimmy and I had. To think, all of that fighting between us, the thrown punches and dagger words, had been for nothing. If I’d just listened instead of being pig-headed and stubborn, we wouldn’t be here right now.

Damn, I really needed to make it up to that guy.

I was welcomed back into the present in time to see Jimmy catch Carter on the temple with a hard fist. Carter’s eyes unfocused and he swayed before falling backward, hitting the side of the elevator hard before sliding down the wall. So maybe I hadn’t gotten to kick his ass, but I could consider Carter’s ass kicked, which was just as swell.

Jimmy turned back towards me. His chest heaved from the effort of fighting after being off for a year and only fighting me, just that once. His blue eyes were sparking with fading anger. He reached one long arm over and turned the emergency button off. The elevator’s lights brightened as it shuddered into motion again.

Jimmy stepped forward, kneeling swiftly down in front of me. I almost expected him to slap me and tell me exactly how much I’d screwed up this time. And if not that, then a heel-clicking celebration dance preceded by an “I Told You So” speech well rehearsed during his many days of confinement. Instead he surprised me, something Jimmy is wont to do, and opened his arms.

I slid forward onto my knees and gently wrapped my arms around Jimmy’s neck, burying my face into his chest. It felt right hugging him again. Jimmy curled his arms back around me, one of his hands rubbing my back soothingly.

“It’s over,” Jimmy whispered into my hair. He pressed a light kiss into my hair. “It’s finally over.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Nothing like kicking ass beyond the grave....

Comments?