‹ Prequel: Legion Of Rockstars

The Federation

Do You Trust Me?

The delay caused by Jimmy’s interruption allowed my touring band members to change and leave before I reached the tour bus myself. I found the bus empty, quiet and dark, thinking it ironic how it mirrored my sudden mood change. I fell down onto the couch, staring blankly at the dark shadow of the television right across from me. Jimmy’s suspicions were unfounded and silly. What right did he have insulting Carter like that anyway? Carter had never done anything to him. Jimmy was jealous, and apparently, he was the last one to know it.

A few minutes later, Carter jumped eagerly onto the bus, but stopped upon seeing the darkness blanketing the interior of the bus.

“Huh, guess she left already,” he muttered, turning swiftly around to head back out into the night.

“I’m here,” I announced, my voice loud compared to the silence I’d been experiencing. Carter stopped mid-step and swiveled before walking over and plopping next to me on the couch, not bothering to turn the lights on. He knew that if I left the lights off, I’d prefer that they’d be kept off.

“What’s wrong, Ashy?” Carter asked, patting my knee consolingly.

“Who else?” I answered, wondering why Carter hadn’t caught on that Jimmy was the main thing wrong with me lately.

“Ah, Jimmy,” Carter said, answering his own question without much input from me. “Care to explain?”

I still wasn’t sure, so I skipped around the question and focused on something else.

“You can go hang out, but I don’t feel much like partying tonight,” I told him.

“No, I much rather stay with you,” Carter said quietly, resting his head gently on my shoulder. I smiled weakly and rested my head on top of his. His spiky hair poked and tickled my neck, but I didn’t feel like complaining about it or moving so that it wouldn’t poke or tickle me. Carter didn’t push an explanation for my sour mood out of me, and for that I was grateful. I needed some time to organize my thoughts, assess what had just exchanged between Jimmy and me, and come up with a conclusion to the whole ordeal. Meanwhile, Carter and I sat in the dark, silently enjoying each other’s company.

“Jimmy doesn’t trust you,” I sighed, finally, after several minutes of going over the situation in my head. I knew I had to tell Carter, even though he would just as easily accept it if I didn’t tell him anything. “He has some crazy theory that you’ve only befriended me to...Oh, I don’t know, to do something naughty or something. He thinks you have a master plan and that you’re only my friend to help move it along. It makes zero sense.”

“Very strange,” Carter agreed thoughtfully. “I can assure you that my friendship with you is genuine and real. I want nothing from it except your mutual friendship and companionship.”

“Which is basically what I told him,” I said. “I told him that his assumptions were wrong. I think he’s just jealous.” I decided to keep Jimmy’s gay comments out of the conversation. I didn’t want Carter to take offense, because he did act sort of gay sometimes. But I knew he wasn’t gay. He was just sweeter than most straight men. He understood me on a level I wouldn’t expect from a guy. But Carter wasn’t gay.

“Well...do you trust me?” Carter asked. I raised my head, and he raised his, and our eyes met.

“Of course I do, Carter,” I answered. “Jimmy’s just being an ass, as usual. I see no reason to not trust you.”

“Well, then...” Carter trailed off, looking away. “Enough sadness!” he exclaimed suddenly, standing up and dragging me to my feet as well. “Why don’t you go change into something more comfortable, and I’ll put WALL-E in for us to watch.”

I smiled and nodded, heading towards the bedroom in the back. I could always count on Carter for listening and cheering me up.
♠ ♠ ♠
I love WALL-E. It's adorable. You should watch it.

Comments?