Status: Finished.

My Car Got Stolen.

Part Two - Wherever She May Be

This was not what I had been expecting. That thought ran through my mind many times today. Right now I stood in the middle of the venue, now empty except for the staff, the roadies, and the bands straggling about wrapping up the evening. Today I’d spent hours before the show scanning the faces of people coming to the concert. And not one sparked anything. Of course, I kinda figured Jersey was going to play with me a bit, so I didn’t worry. When the first band started I stayed out in the crowd looking, my only distraction was meeting and greeting with fans. I was so determined I almost knocked over some poor girl that worked there while walking past the sound booth. Still there wasn’t a face that jumped out at me. All the voices I caught throughout the night did not sound like her either. And I would know that voice. And yet, I did not panic. She just had to be messing with me. She’ll probably wait until I’m frantic and then jump out at me, that would be soooo her style.

I loved that style. Every night leading up to tonight, I’d spent my days and nights talking to Jersey as much as I could. Getting to know her, and growing more fond of her with every word. She promised me that she would be here, assured me that all I had to do was find her. It was a silly little game, but the prize would be so worthwhile. Jersey may be clever, but she’s honest. And if she said she would be here, then she is here. I don’t know EXACTLY what she looks like, but I do know what her twin brother looks like…and that is good enough. A challenge, but not impossible. At least, I THOUGHT it wouldn’t be impossible.

It was after we played out set that my nerves started to get the best of me. Not even the stellar sound we had tonight could distract me from what was happening.

And what was happening was that I hadn’t seen her. I couldn’t pick out and girls that could have been her from the crowd while playing. I couldn’t find someone that fit the standards as the crowd dispersed. The night is almost over, and now what? There was nowhere else to look, no one left to look at. Jersey had not jumped out at me.

Unless she was waiting outside to make fun of me. That could be it. That must be it. I will exit the venue to find her laughing at my failure, but I won’t care I will let her have her jokes, cause I’ll have her. That took away some of the edge as I started walking towards the exit. I didn’t make it out the door though, because a familiar voice stopped me as I passed the food stand.

“Hey man!” The cheerful voice echoed in my head. Josh’s voice. “Sweet show, I couldn’t see it-” He motioned to a behind the counter to a door that lead to the kitchen. “but I could hear it.”

“You….you,” My mind just stuttered. “work here?” Shit.

“Yeah man, I got stuck with kitchen duty today.” He made ma face and yanked at the black apron covering his grey t-shirt and black skinny jeans. He’d thrown a grey beanie over his dark hair. “Typically I’m out in the action, but we had a call out so it’s Josh to the rescue.” He struck a super hero pose before rolling his eyes and adjusting his glasses.

“Your sister was working tonight, wasn’t she?” I asked through gritted teeth. Fuck. Josh’s expression was confused.

“Yeeeaaah.” He stretched out the word, I guess in order to find the right ones. “She was running sound tonight, lucky duck.” Ha. Of course. How many times had I walked past that booth without a glance? Cause of course I wouldn’t be looking at the staff. SHIT. SHIT. SHIIIIIIIIT!

“Can you please tell me where she is right now?” I closed me eyes and tried to inhale deeply. When I opened Josh was looking at me in disbelief. I heard him mutter a few curses while he tugged on some locks of his nearly black brown hair.

“Damn man, I’m sorry but…” Josh let out a loud breathe of air. “she left.”

“What?” I spoke louder than I meant to.

“I should have know by the way she just blew past me, I mean I would have known she was up to something.” He turned his brown eyes on me. “Man I wish I could say that I didn’t expect her to pull something like this by I did. I was hoping that she had left cause she was meeting you or something….”

“I know this is what we agreed, but I just didn’t think she’d actually stand against the wall and do nothing.” I did not expect this.

“When we were 12 we had this recital thing in our guitar class. Jersey and I picked out a song to perform together, and we learned the chords by studying the CD. I had this bad habit of not returning CD’s to their cases, instead putting them in the wrong case. Drove everyone nuts cause no one could ever find the right CD on the first try. It especially peeved Jersey, cause she’s an organized mess kind of person. We’d just had this little spat about this problem, but of course I brushed it off. The recital was two days away and I still had to work on my part, so I put the CD next to my guitar and left to go do something. When I came back Jersey was in our room sitting on her bed reading, and the CD was gone. And I knew she was trying to get me back so I stomped over to her and asked for the CD, her only reply was ‘You would know if you ever put them back.’ and she went back to reading. I jus knew she had hidden it, so I spent hours searching the house. I looked everywhere for it. Finally though I got so frustrated so I crawled back to her on my hands and knees and begged for her to tell me where it is. With a roll of her eyes she got up, walked easily over to the CD rack…and pulled out that stupid CD.” Josh grimaced at the memory. “Jersey is VERY good at hide and go seek. Even when she tells you everything, you still don’t get it.” Then it hit me.

“She told me you and her ran sound and did some tech, she told me you two worked at a venue, and she told me she would be here tonight.” How much more obvious could it have been? Josh laughed, and I stared this was soo not funny.

“Sorry man, it’s just nice to see that look on someone’s face besides mine.” I smiled weakly as he still chuckled. “Like I said before, Jersey is real self-conscious just cause she’s not one of those made-up girls with their cutesy little outfits. It’s silly, cause she’s stunning, and I’m not just saying that cause she’s my twin.

“Hey let me give you something. Walk with me.” He said abruptly, I nodded and followed. He led me through all the Staff Only hallways to the employee break room. He went straight for the wall of black lockers, covered in nothing other than band stickers. Josh pulled a Death Cab For Cutie messenger bag out of a locker and started riffling through it. “Aha!” He said triumphantly, pulling out a blue CD case.

“What?” I’m just a bit confused.

“It’s our demo, I thought you may wanna hear some of me and Jersey’s music. And I know Jers is way to shy to give it to you herself.” Josh pulled out a piece of paper and pen, then scribbled something down before handing the paper and case to me. “That’s my digits, I got a new cell. So yeah.”

“Thanks.” I smiled, and not weakly. “I think I’m gonna try and give her a call. And I’ll definitely call you later.”

“Sweet. I suppose I should finish up here. Hope your night doesn’t suck man.” And with that cheery sentiment he turned on his black, grey, and white checkered sneakers and left the small room. Jersey and Josh were whirlwinds of energy, and Jersey was as hard to catch.

I gathered my things and was sitting in my car before I examined the Cd Josh had giver me. “Joshua and Jersey - Double Your Trouble :)” was written in almost sloppy handwriting. The excitement bubbled up then, this was another piece of the Jersey mystery. I had to fight the urge to pop it in right then and there, first I had to call her. To figure this out. Maybe then I wouldn’t have to settle for a piece, I could have the whole thing.

It took just only ring.

“Hello”

“The soundboard Jersey, really? The whole time?”

She laughed. “I see someone talked to Josh.”

“And I see someone had already left.” I retorted.

“Do you know how many times you walked past me? You almost ran me over. It’s not my fault you couldn’t put two and two together darling.” Even as she revealed this I couldn’t pull up the image of the staff girl I ran into, and I cursed myself or not paying attention. I was so fucking close. I actually had to smack myself on the forehead.

“You could have said something!” I said to the frustrating girl.

“Hey now, I told you to come find me. Not I’ll find you.” Jersey spoke calmly.

“You played dirty, and you know it.”

“You had all the information dear, just because I didn’t wear a neon sign doesn’t mean I played dirty.” She laughed as she spoke.

“Jersey I just want to meet you. I want to go out with you. I want to see you, and talk to you in person. I want to take you to a movie, and I just want to spend some time with you.” Just like a reflex I ran my hand through my hair. “I have to leave in the morning, but the night is still young enough. Meet me somewhere, please? Let’s do something, or nothing. I don’t care as long as I get to be with you.” I was pleading to the girl.

“John, I don’t think we should.” Her words stabbed into my heart.

“Why not?” This is not going well. “What’s wrong Jersey, why don’t you want to be with me? What have I done? Do you just not like me? Please, just talk to me.”

“I-I-I..J-j-just…” I could hear her pause and take a deep breathe. “I am just a little terrified, John.”

“Terrified?” That was not the answer I expected. Of course, my expectations have all gone out the window thus far, so what the hell.

“I told you I’d only disappoint you, and I meant it. I have the worst luck with guys. As I’ve also said before, I’m a chronic best friend. When I like a guy, they only see me as a friend. When I go out with a guy, we find out we should just be friends. And the worst situation is when I date a guy that I am friends with, and we figure out we were better off as friends and then we can’t go back and I loose a friend.” There was a heavy silence before she started talking again. “This one time I had been dating this boy for a couple of months, I wasn’t in love but I really did like him, and one day her just tells me he doesn’t see me as a girlfriend. The next day he’s out with this beautiful girl that was everything I’m not, stylish, girly, put together, and very much girlfriend-ish. I don’t pretend to have some horrible history, but it still bites. It just wore me out. I just try to be super careful about my love life.”

“Jersey…”

“John. When you and I started talking, I really liked you. And that scared me cause it’s weird that I only had to talk with you for a short time to start to like you. I just figured that the end of the phone conversation would be the end of it all. But no… you called again, and worse you wanted to go out and meet me.” Her sigh reached my ears. “Truth is I just like you too much for that. I want to keep you, and I just figured if we started something I would find a way to ruin it, and then I’d loose you.”

“Let me prove you wrong.” My voice was confident, cause I am.

“Can’t we just be friends John? That way I can’t fuck it up and you can realize it’s better that way without the messy side effects of falling in love.” I could tell the ease in her voice was faked.

“I can’t do that.” I stated simply.

“If you promise that we can just stay friends I will meet you somewhere in a heartbeat. I will help you pack, I’ll do whatever you want.” She knows me too well…

“I can not do that Jersey, I can’t just be your friend.” Because I already love you, I couldn’t find a way to add that though.

“I…I don’t want to be without you, b-but I just n-need time to th-think.” Jersey’s voice was thick with emotion. I’m not sure why, but then I did something a little stupid.

“Fine. Take your time Jersey.” I got angry, and gave her time. With more force then necessary I ended the call. I shoved the CD in and press play, all I get is another piece of her…never the whole.

It took a 10 days. She was everywhere to me. I thought of her when I told people about my new car, when it rained I thought of her, when my book was missing the last page I thought of her. I saw her in my best friends, even the strangers standing in the back of the venues by the bars or whatever would do something to remind me of her. I even talked to Josh a lot. But none of them came close to her, and it just made me feel worse and worse. When I talk to her, my cares and worries float away. I just wanted that back. Wherever she may be, was where I wanted to be.

I waited four rings to hear the voice that makes everything better.

“Hi.” Jersey spoke timidly.

“Hey.” Even though I still had things I needed to fix, I felt okay.

“I’m a stupid little girl John.” She said softly and apologetically.

“Jers-”

“No, it’s true. I didn’t handle this well. I did just about everything wrong. I overreacted and just wasn’t very smart. I’m sorry.” She said all this very quickly, so she paused and took a breathe. “The thing is I’ve never loved someone before, and I never expected the odd circumstances and I just had not clue what to do.”

“You love me?” I grinned, I want to jump up and down screaming…but I stopped myself.

“W-w-what?” I missed that stutter.

“You said you’d never loved someone, and I do believe the someone you do love is me.” I think my smirk was evident in my voice.

“You sound rather confident that I love you Mr. O’Callaghan” There was my playful Jersey. “It could have been a slip of the tongue.”

“You are SO in love with me. It may have been a slip of the tongue, but it’s a slip of the tongue you meant with your whole heart.” The next part come out easier than it ever had. “I love you too.”

“Why would you do a silly thing like that?” She teased gently.

“Cause it’s the smartest thing I could ever do.” I replied. “Don’t think you’ll be able to slip away from me again Jersey, I will hunt you down if I have to. And when I find you, I’m not letting go…ever. You’re stuck with me.”

“You’re talking quite big Johnny.” Jersey laughed. “It’s a deal. When you come back home, I won’t hide.”

The rest of tour was a long couple of weeks, waiting to get back home to see Jersey. It was also better, because I was talking to her. I enjoyed myself, but I was also ready to be home and holding my girl. We talked a lot. I told her about Joshua giving me their demo. It had become the most played album in my music library. And they weren’t joking about being techs. They knew their shit about sound. I also remembered the great sound that she did at that hometown show. It gave me ideas that I talked about with the guys.

The drive back home after the last date of the tour was painful. Getting the silly string and shaving cream out of my hair from the end of tour pranks was a good way of keeping my mind off of it for a while. But once I was done I couldn’t help but want to kick Kennedy out of the drivers seat and go all “Fast And The Furious”. When it was my turn to drive I can’t deny that I got yelled at a few times for speeding a bit.

When I walked into my home and into my bedroom I felt a little less wound up knowing I was in the same town, but I still wasn’t completely satisfied. And I knew that even at 4 AM I could call her, and she’d talk to me, I should just go to sleep and make plans to see her as soon as I wake up.

However I had not planned on my mother throwing me a “Welcome Home Barbeque”, inviting all our family and close friends of our family, and insisting I spend some time with them from the moment I rolled out of bed at noon until the party ended, whenever it would end. I did miss my family a lot, and I just couldn't say no, or sneak out. I’d feel too guilty.

“It’s okay John, it’s your family and they missed you.” Jersey’s cheery voice echoed my own thoughts after I told her what was going on.

“I just was looking forward to seeing you, finally, today. And going out on our first date” I said, not hiding the disappointment in my voice as I picked out a shirt for today. “Maybe…you could come?”

“John, I’m freaking out enough to meet you for the first time. Do we really need to add your family and their close friends to the mixture?” She was nervous.

“I know, I just really, really, really, want to see you.” I pulled out a black v-neck long sleeve. “And you shouldn’t be freaked out. I love you.”

“I love you too. Freaking out is just what I do.” I smiled at my Jersey as she talked. “You have fun with your family. Call me later, we’ll make plans.”

“I will, and we will. Bye Jersey.” I hate saying goodbye to her.

“Goodbye John.” We hung up and I finished getting ready for the Family party.

Even though she was constantly in my mind I managed to have a good time with my family. I do miss my mom’s cooking and my dad’s grilling when I’m out on tour living off fast food. I miss my brother bugging me, and us playing video games. It was nice to hang out with my family. By 8 o’clock the food had been served and everyone was chatting happily. The kids gather around the TV watching movies, the adults sipping their drinks happily. I’d heard the doorbell ring and someone was let in, but I was busy grabbing some dessert. Even though it was a family gathering some of my parents friends and their kids I didn’t recognize. But I didn’t care, there was chocolate cake calling my name. I sat down in a free seat in the living room, “Twilight” was playing. As I enjoyed my cake I did a scan of the room, one face stopped me, This girl looked familiar, but I couldn’t place her. She had long dark brown hair that cascaded in waves down her back and was parted to the left. She had a heart shaped face and lovely full pink lips, she had soft but striking features. Her skin had a light tan. She was wearing small purple oval glasses, behind them were warm and bright brown eyes than just makes you melt. The girl had a small septum ring, and a little silver hoop on the left side of her bottom lip. She was a little short, around 5 foot 4, and her body was slim but curvy in good places. She had on an aqua blue v-neck and black, white, and aqua stripped knit vest. As well as dark wash skinny jeans. With black and blue sneakers. She didn’t wear her clothes tight, which was nice cause she actually looked comfortable in them. I could also see a silver peace sign around her neck, and a bunch of bright colored braided and beaded bracelets on her wrists. She was a beautiful girl, and I have no clue why I know her.

Until someone I recognized instantly walked up next to her. I choked on my bite of cake. Josh had handed the girl a drink and took his place by her side, talking to my mother and another woman. He was in an outfit almost identical to the girls except in lime green instead of aqua blue. Seeing them stand together, there could be no doubt that they were twins. The resemblance was amazing. At last, I see Joshua’s twin sister Jersey.

My choking had gotten her attention, she turned her big brown eyes on me, a smirk gracing her lips, and she winked. Josh turned to and grinned giving me the thumbs up. Which caught my mother’s attention, she waved me over. I lept to my feet instantly discarding my desert on the coffee table and bounded over grinning like an idiot.

“John this is my friend Katherine,” My mom motioned to the woman standing in our little group. She haw bright red hair that reached past her shoulders, she stood around 5 foot 7. She had a kind face, and she too looked familiar. “You of course know her son Joshua, and this is his twin Jersey.” That’s their mother of course. The same brown eyes, and mouth, and skin.

“Of course. It’s nice to meet you Katherine.” I smiled and shook hands with my mother’s friend, before turning to the girl I’ve been waiting to meet. “It’s a pleasure to meet you, too Jersey.”

“Why it’s just lovely to meet you John.” Her eyes glowed into mine, a coy smile on her face.

“Kat was just telling me about the twins’ music, you know they work at a concert hall around here.” My mother said. “You all have a lot in common.”

“Really?” I turned back to face the twins. They both were having trouble holding in laughter. “You know, the guys and I could use say….two guitar techs, and it would help if they were good at sound too…” I smirked.

“Oh! Wouldn’t that be fun!” Katherine exclaimed, not at all confused at how strange this must seem to someone who doesn‘t know what has been going on.

“Kat and I will just leave you three to talk.” My mother patted my back and lead her friend back to the kitchen, looking happy.

Without a word I grabbed Jersey’s hand and started pulling her towards the stairs. The contact with her warm skin making me buzz. “I’m gonna go make out with your sister, I’ll fill you in on the job later Josh.” I called back to him, he was laughing now.

“Okay man, cool party.” Josh shrugged and headed for the food.

“So much for being an overprotective brother.” Jersey scoffed as we dodged people and made it to the stairs, me still pulling her along guiding her to my room.

“Hey, he knows how much I had to work for you. I deserve this moment.” I told her seriously as we entered my messy bedroom.

“Oh you do, do you?” Jersey grinned at me and raised her dark eyebrows. “So what was that down there about some job? You know you don’t have-”

“I want to. It’s a done deal, I played the rest of the band your demo and they remember the sound from the show. They want both of you too.” I cut her off. I can’t even describe how happy I am. I just can’t believe she’s right here, right in front of me. Just to be sure I placed my hands on her hips to feel that she’s really here, and not just a beautiful illusion.

“Was it also Plan B incase I tried to hide from you again?” She tilted her head an smiled gently, my body ached to just pull her close.

“Nah, you couldn’t resist my charm.” I smirked, she rolled her eyes.

“You have a habit of talking big O’Callaghan.”

“Yeah, but you love every bit of me.” I bent down slightly, putting our faces closer.

“Yeah…sure.” I pretended to pout at her words. “Alright, alright. John, I love every bit of you.”

“Jersey, I absolutely love every bit of you.” A soft blush spread across her cheeks. And I couldn’t resist it anymore. I bent down and pressed my lips to her soft lips

I finally have my girl, and she won’t run away.
I know exactly who she is.
And I know exactly where she will always be…
because she'll be with me.
♠ ♠ ♠
The End.
Wish me luck in the contest.
I'm not sure how happy I am with it, cause I'm currently sick as a dog and on a Nyquil buzz. Perfect time to write a story, eh?
Feedback is lovely. :)