Two Minds are Better Than One

People Need Their Eyes Tested.

I staggered down the stairs, tugging once again at the loose strap of my bag, trying to coax it into staying put on my shoulder. I thumped into the door, hardly unable to hold my own weight up. I stood motionless in the centre of the lounge, staring at the clock. 4:00am. Who the hell gets up this early?

I let out a loud yawn, getting rid of the stale air stored in my lungs. Nice yawn.

"You ready to go?", asked my mum, bursting into the room, being way too chipper for an early morning. "Meh.", I grumbled, screwing up my nose in distaste. "Ah, you'll wake up soon enough,", she said heading towards the door and unlocking it. "Besides it's a 6 hour drive." I let out a loud moan and dragged myself through the door and towards the car.

Ah, my mum's car. I truly loved this automobile. A Volkswagen Type 1 Beetle. Amazing.

I opened the back door of the car and threw my duffel bag into the seat, it collided with the fabric, causing a gentle 'thud' sound. I closed the door and climbed into the front seat, fastened my seat belt and settled. My mum pulled out of the driveway faster than usual since it was too early for most people to be awake, and sped off toward our destination.

I fiddled around with the radio until I tuned it onto BBC Radio, hoping that The Beatles would be on, I listened intently. ...Up next, the second single from The Beatles, here it is 'Please Please Me'

I clapped my hands and bobbed my head along to the beat, miming the words in mum's direction, as if I had written the song myself. "You know, I'll never understand why you love this band so much.", mum said, smirking slightly. I looked at her in disbelief. "Well, one, they have amazing music and two, they are fine!", I replied, yelling the last part. Mum laughed, "so which one do you like the best?", she asked. I acted as if this was a hard thing to answer. "For me it's Ringo.", "yeah but doesn't he have a...", "a what?", I asked. Mum pulled on the tip of her nose, making it look bigger than it was. I gasped slightly, "He does not have a big nose!", I objected, crossing my arms tightly over my chest.

Two hours later and I was laying in the backseat, too tired to sit up front. I felt the gentle motion of the car stop and I sat upright, trying to figure out where we were. "Come on, get up. Lets get some breakfast.", said mum before getting out of the car. I smiled and opened the door, climbing out and steadying myself. We walked inside and looked for the food place. Mum handed me two pounds, "here, go get yourself something, I'm going to get a cup of tea.", I nodded and walked towards the place where they were serving breakfast.

The line wasn't too big, just three people in front of me. I was looking at the menu when someone stood next to me, leaned over the counter slightly then sighed and shook his head. I looked again to see that one person had left the line. " 'scuse me luv.", came the voice of the man next to me. "yeah?", I asked. "could you tell me what that sign there says?", he asked, crouching down to my level, our heads touching slightly. I followed the line of his arm to see what sign he was looking at. "Um...it says, 'Full breakfast, £1.99' ", he stood up straight again, "thanks, luv.", I nodded and saw that the person in front of us was taking their time in choosing what to order.

"So, what's your name?", asked the man. I looked up at him and couldn't help but think I'd seen him before. Not to mention I was slightly shocked at how forward he was. I shook myself out of my thoughts. "Grace.", I said quickly. He nodded. "May I ask yours?", I said. He looked rather nervous for a moment before clearing his throat. "Paul.", he said quietly. I nodded, "Nice to meet you.", I said holding my hand out, with a look of relief he shook my hand. "I think its your turn to order now.", he said bending down to my level again, I turned to see the person behind the till looking really impatient. I turned back around to him, "Well, nice talking to you.", he smiled and nodded, watching me order.

I was walking away with my food when I turned around to see him looking again, I waved to him, he waved back. I smiled and went to go sit back with mum, who was clutching a mug of tea.

"Who was that bloke?", asked mum, "did you know him?". I shook my head. "No, he was just asking me what a sign said.", I replied, putting brown sauce on my bacon sandwich. "Well you should have told him to get his eyes checked.", I laughed lightly, "well that wouldn't have been polite, would it?". I turned around to see the man I was talking to, he was sat at a table with four other people, but they were all chatting away, so I turned away again.".

"Come on, lets go.", said mum. We walked out of the building and found our way back to the car. I sat back in the passenger seat again, instead of laying in the back seat.
I rested my head on the window and watched the raindrops collecting then sliding down the windows' surface, then disappearing at the bottom of it.

"So, Mum.", I said, sitting upright after a while. "Yeah?", she asked, still looking at the road. "Which is your favorite member of The Beatles?", she looked over at me for a second, her left eyebrow raised slightly, she looked back at the road. "Don't we have this conversation over an hour ago?", she asked. "yeah, but I wanted to know who you liked the most.", "Oh, Grace. Give over, I'm too old to have a favorite.", I smiled slightly, "come on, you've got to have a favorite. She looked as if she was thinking long and hard. "Well, i suppose that John isn't half bad.". I smiled, satisfied I got my answer, and turned back to the window.

I noticed mum kept glancing over at me every now and again. Trying to ignore her, I turned more in my seat, acting as if I had just seen something interesting. "Grace.", mum said. I turned back around to her. "Yeah?", "what do you think of that George?". I looked at her as if she had just grown another head. "what do you mean?", I asked. She shrugged. "Well, I just think you look at bit like him.", I raised my eyebrow before sighing. "Everyone says that."

I reached under my seat and pulled out a pocket mirror and a magazine with The Beatles on the cover. I looked at George, then looked at my reflection. I'll admit we do have the same eyes and similar hair color. I looked at the picture again. And the same nose.
I was distracted by mum swerving, a bus had overtaken us, forcing mum to move out of the way. "Why don't you get your eyes tested Dickhead!", she yelled. I laughed loudly. Looking down I realized something. I looked back in my mirror then back and the picture of George.

My God, we even smile the same!
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it.

Comments are appreciated

xxx