Saving Grace

Base Ball

Aubrey laid in her bed the next morning looking up at the ceiling. She didn't have to work, and she really didn't want to move. The only thing she could actually think about was Brian. Had she really missed signing some papers? Or was he just using that as an excuse to talk to her? If she did need to sign the papers, then why would he be the one who met up with her?

She tossed the heavy covers off her legs and decided she might as well get a start on the day. She had nothing to do, but she surely didn't want to spend the day in bed thinking about some rock star who was probably all messing with her head. She walked out of her bedroom, and into the kitchen. She grinned when she saw Malorie had turned the coffee on for her. She didn't know what she would do without her sister.

She poured herself a cup, and then grabbed a donut. She walked over to check and see if they had any messages and was surprised to find a sheet of paper beside the phone with a message from Malorie.

I was on the phone with dad and this Brian guy kept calling for you. I told him you were sleeping in because it was your day off. I said the best time to call back would be around eleven or so. Sorry if it was important, I figured you needed your sleep.

Love you
Mal

She read the note over two times before she shook her head and placed it back down on the counter. She really didn't know what to think. Glancing over at the clock she saw it was a bit after ten in the morning. Malorie had told him to call back around eleven, so that gave her some time to herself. She decided a fresh shower would benefit her.

Brian held the cordless phone in his hand and glanced over at the clock. It was fifteen minutes til eleven. Fifteen minutes until he planned on calling Aubrey again. He didn't know why he wanted to talk to her. He knew he looked pretty damn desperate, but he didn't care. There was something about her. Something different.

At first he hardly noticed it. He saw beautiful girls on a daily basis, and most of them threw themselves at him. It wasn't her beauty that attracted him to her. It was her attitude. She didn't put up with his shit, and she wouldn't filter her thoughts around him. She had told him numerous times he had been an asshole, and she could clearly care less about his celebrity stature.

He licked over his bottom lip, and glanced back up at the clock. Only five minutes had passed. He decided that he couldn't be patient and wait the remaining ten minutes. He quickly dialed the number he now had memorized and waited for her to pick up.

Aubrey groaned as the phone rang and caused her to smear her eyeliner she was putting on. She reach over and grabbed her cordless phone from the table, and answered it. She didn't think Brian would be calling, considering it wasn't eleven yet.

"Hello?"

"Is Aubrey there?"

"Speaking."

"Hey. . ." He said softly.

She breathed in deeply, and chewed on her bottom lip. She had a feeling that this phone conversation would be life changing.

"How are you?" She asked.

"I'm fine."

"So, I need to sign some papers?" She wondered out loud.

Brian laughed slightly. There were no papers. What could he possibly say? He decided that he just needed to come out with the truth.

"There aren't any papers."

She laughed, "Some how I figured that."

"I just wanted to talk to you."

"Why?"

"Because I just. . . I feel like I owe you something."

"You don't owe me anything."

"You saved my life, and the only thing I've done in return is be an asshole."

"You apologized. I don't expect anything else."

"Will you meet me somewhere?"

"Why do you want to meet?" She asked.

He sighed, "It'll be better than sitting with a phone connected to my ear." He said. The real reason was because he wanted to see her face.

"I'm off today."

"Alright. How about you come over my house?"

"Your house? I don't think that's a good idea."

"Why not?" He questioned.

"I'm not that type of girl, okay?" She said, figuring the only reason he wanted her over was for a quick fuck.

"And you think I'm the type of guy?"

She just stayed quiet, and he laughed. "Look, I'm not trying to get into your pants. I just want to get to know the woman who saved my life."

She sighed, "Fine, give me your directions. But I swear, if you put one move on me I will cut your balls off and play base ball with them."

"Ouch." He laughed, and then gave her the directions.

Aubrey soon hung up, telling him she would be over in a few hours. She ran a hand through her hair and couldn't believe she just agreed to this. It didn't make any sense for her to go to his house. The motive for her going wasn't very good. He just wanted to talk to her? There was something else to the story.

This was so out of character for her. Normally she would just tell guys like him to fuck off. She didn't know why she couldn't say that to him. In the beginning she probably would have. But the last few times she's looked into his eyes have stirred an emotion in her that she couldn't explain.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image