Saving Grace

Shattered

Aubrey hummed along a tune as she walked into the the studio. She pressed her sunglasses up off her brown eyes and stopped as she starred over at a red head talking to Steve. Steve smiled at her and then motioned her over. Aubrey walked over kind of slowly, wondering who the adorable young girl standing in front of her was.

"Bre, this is Sydney. I hired her to be another photographer."

"Oh! Hi." Aubrey said, extending her hand.

"Hi. It's a pleasure to meet you. Steve has told me so much about you." Sydney said.

"None of it's true, I promise." Aubrey joked.

Sydney smiled, and then Steve asked Aubrey to show her around a bit more, and keep the girl under her wing. Steve was a busy man and couldn't really show Sydney the ropes of the studio, so that task would be left up to Aubrey. She walked around and explained many different things to Sydney. The two girls got t know each other a bit more, and Aubrey found herself liking the young girl more and more.

"So, you're how old? Nineteen?"

Sydney laughed rather loudly, "Twenty four."

Aubrey's mouth dropped slightly. She was twenty four years old? She looked no older than eighteen or nineteen. She had a youthful face, and could pass as a teenager, not to mention she didn't act like she was in her twenties either. It wasn't that she was immature, she just seemed like a young soul, much like Aubrey.

"I get that all the time." Sydney explained, "My mom is in her late forties, and looks no older than thirty. I guess it's a blessing."

"I'd say so." Aubrey commented.

She showed Sydney around the dark room, and told her it would be a good idea to get a portfolio set up. Sydney nodded her head, and brought out a SD card. Aubrey brought it over to a machine, and placed it inside. She began looking at the pictures and discovered that Sydney was actually a really good photographer. She had some natural talents, she would just need to brush up on a few things.

"Bre! Phone!" Steve called.

"I'll be right back." She told Sydney, and then walked over to the public phone line. She didn't know who would be calling for her.

She walked to the front desk and then picked up the phone. She licked over her dry lips, "Hello?"

"Trying to ignore me?" A male's voice flooded her ears.

She smiled lightly, "Brian, what are you doing phoning me at work?"

"You didn't pick up your cell phone. I was going to ask if you wanted to go out for lunch."

"Shit, I forgot to take it off vibrate." She cursed, and then grabbed her purse and began searching for the phone.

"So, do you want to go for lunch for not?"

She sighed, and then thought about it. Should she go with him? She didn't have anything better to do on her lunch break, and surely having lunch with him would be more entertaining than going out by herself.

"Sure."

"I have the directions to the studio on this card. So what time?"

"About an hour or so okay with you?"

"That's fine."

She hung up the phone and a client soon came in. She welcomed them with a smile and then took them to a room. Sydney watched as Aubrey worked well with the family and photographed them. She was actually looking really forward to spending lunch with Brian. Even though she had once considered him an asshole, she had saw that he had changed. At least changed towards her, and that's all she really cared about.

"Okay, thank you guys. Come back in about two weeks for the prints." She said, opening the door for them.

Before she had a chance to close the door, Brian walked in with a smug grin plastered across his lips. He was once again wearing a sleeveless top. A pair of dark shades were over his eyes, and fedora was over his hair. Aubrey flashed him a soft smile.

"You're early." She said.

"Just ten minutes."

"Have a seat then."

He smirked and walked over to the waiting area and sat down. He grabbed one of the magazines off the table and began flipping through the glossy pages.

Sydney and Steve walked out of the office. Sydney had a glass of water in her hands, and upon seeing the man in the waiting area, she dropped the class to the ground and caused it to shatter into a hundred pieces. Aubrey jumped up, hearing the commotion.

"Are you okay?" Aubrey asked, rushing over.

"Tha-tha-that's Synyster Gates!"

Aubrey looked over towards Brian who was now starring at the group of them. Was this really happening again? Why were people so hung up on him? Steve chuckled slightly, and then patted Sydney on the back. The girl closed her mouth, and Aubrey smiled.

"I'm gonna head out to lunch. I'll be back in a bout an hour." Aubrey announced.

She walked over to Brian and he stood up. She smiled back at Steve, clearly leaving the task of explaining the current situation of why Brian was there to Sydney. Brian chuckled, when they walked out of the studio.

"Making girls drop glasses since nineteen eighty one." He joked.

"Oh shut up." She said.

He chuckled, and then they walked over to his vehicle. He opened the door and Aubrey climbed inside. He walked over and got inside the driver's seat.

"So, where to?" She asked.

"Where do you want to go?"

"It doesn't matter to me. I just have an hour though."

He nodded his head, "How about we go through a drive-thru and then just head to the park. We can eat in the truck or something."

She nodded her head, and was fine with that idea. She really didn't want to be seen with him anyways. It wasn't that she was embarrassed of him or anything. She had just saw how Sydney reacted though, and she really didn't want to put up with that all during her lunch.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image