Saving Grace

Tired

Aubrey walked into work the next morning with a smile on her face. She saw Sydney already there ready for the day.

"Hey Syd."

"Hey girl. How are you?"

"Tired, but fine. You?"

"I'm great."

"How is Matt doing?"

Sydney sighed, "I think he's going to be okay."

Aubrey smiled and nodded her head. She could tell things were happening fast between Matt and Sydney. She could see it in both their eyes. They liked each other. Matt was going through a lot right now, and she just hoped Sydney didn't get hurt in the end.

The day was very hectic. Aubrey had tons of pictures to develop and plenty of clients to keep her working all day long. She didn't even bother with taking a lunch break. She had texted Brian and told him she didn't really have time. He had told her he would just come by for dinner tonight. She was glad it was Mal's day off and night to cook. She would probably be too exhausted to fix dinner.

As the day process Aubrey found herself getting more and more tired. She slipped off her heels as she climbed inside the car. Normally wearing heels at work didn't bother her, but today her feet were aching. When she finally pulled into the drive way she felt relieved. She was home and wouldn't have to do anything else for the entire evening. She walked barefoot in the house sat down on the couch as soon as she entered.

Malorie who was sitting in the recliner laughed, "Hard day, sis?"

"You have no idea."

"Brian's up in Chance's room."

"He's here already?"

"He brought him home from school. He called my cell today and asked if I were okay with him picking Chance up."

"Oh yeah. I completely forgot. Is his truck out there?"

"Uh, yeah." Malorie laughed.

Aubrey shook her head. She had been so exhausted she hadn't even noticed Brian's trucking sitting in her drive way. She sighed, as she leaned her head back on the sofa. She could hear the guitar sounds coming from Chance's room. She closed her eyes, and took in a deep breath.

Brian smiled when Chance finally caught on to a lesson he had been teaching him for a week. He had picked Chance up from school today, which had caused a small riot like Aubrey had been worried about. Most of his friends thought it was really cool he knew Brian. The bully even apologized to him, and asked for Brian's autograph. Brian was just glad that he could help. Chance was an amazing kid, and he didn't want him getting bullied.

Brian looked up when he heard Malorie calling them down for dinner. He didn't even realize it had been so late. He licked over his lips, realizing Aubrey was probably already here.

"Let's go down, kid."

"Okay." Chance said, placing his guitar down on the bed.

Before Brian could reach for the knob, Chance stopped him.

"Syn. . ." Chance said softly.

"Yeah, kid?" He asked turning around.

"You're not going to break my aunt's heart, are you?"

"That's not my intention. Why do you ask that?" Brian asked.

"Because, you're the first guy she's actually brought home since her ex. He was pretty mean to her. I remember her showing up with bruises and stuff one day, and she was crying. I was really young, but I knew that wasn't how you treated a girl."

"You don't have to worry about any of that stuff with me, okay?"

"Okay." Chance smiled.

Brian walked down the stairs not really knowing what to expect from the information he had just gathered. He and Aubrey didn't bother talking about past relationships. They weren't important, but hearing that she had pretty much been beat on irked him. She was such a strong woman, who didn't take shit from anyone. Why would she allow a man to bruise her up?

As he walked into the living room he saw her laying on the couch with her eyes closed. She seemed so innocent laying there catching a nap. He tried to picture her with bruises on her body, and the only reaction he got out of himself was rage and anger. He couldn't imagine anyone hitting her, and it pissed him off to think someone had.

He walked over and gently woke her up. She had skipped lunch, and he knew she needed to eat something. She gave him a smile which melted his heart as she raised up.

"Dinner done?" She asked.

"Yeah. You look exhausted."

"I am," She frowned, "Longest day ever."

He smiled, and then helped her up off the couch and walked into the kitchen with her. He ate dinner with her family, and then after dinner he suggested she turn into bed early. He wanted to spend time with her, but she was far too tired to keep her eyes open.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image