Saving Grace

Thick And Thin

Brian groaned as the alarm clock went off. He rolled over on his side, and turned it off, though Aubrey was already getting out of the bed. He raised up and looked at her with a glare. She looked at him and half smiled.

"What?" She asked.

"Where are you going?" He asked.

"Work."

"Call in."

"Baby, I can't call in."

"But, I just got home yesterday." He frowned.

She laughed, "That still doesn't mean I can call in." She said, walking over and leaning down to kiss him on the lips.

"I'm not letting you go in." He said, wrapping his arms around her and bringing her back down on the bed.

She giggled as he clutched onto her tightly. He was being absolutely adorable, but she really did need to get to work. She kissed him softly on the mouth, and then wiggled her way out of his arms. He frowned when she walked out of the bedroom and into the bathroom to get herself a shower.

Once she was showered and ready for work, she walked back into the bedroom to find Brian slipping on a pair of jeans. He shook his head at her and looked away.

"What?" She asked laughing.

"Your wasting valuable baby making time by going to work." He stated.

She rolled her eyes, "You're kidding, right?"

"Nope."

"We had plenty of baby making time last night. I need to go to work."

"You don't need to do anything but stay in bed with me all day." He teased, as he walked over and leaned down to press his lips against hers. "I love you baby." He said, pulling away.

"I love you too. Stop trying to make me feel bad." She said.

He laughed, "Don't feel bad. I'm going to go visit my dad this morning, then I'll come by and see you at lunch."

Work was dragging by, only because she was counting down the minutes until she saw Brian. Sydney had scheduled today off for work so she could spend it with Matt. Aubrey was glad she didn't call in. She would hate to leave Steve in a position like that.

She walked out into the front entrance and saw Steve drinking away on his Starbucks as he mumbled to himself. He was looking at the computer screen, and she could see he needed a break from whatever he was doing. She thought it would be the perfect opportunity to ask him something that had been bugging her.

She and Brian were engaged and going to be getting married, but there was a problem. She didn't know or respect her father enough to ask him to walk her down the aisle. He had never really been in her life, only a phone call here and there, so she didn't feel that he had the right to give her away. There had only been one person who had been there for her through thick and thin besides her sister, and that was Steve.

"Hey Steve." She said.

"Hey Bre, what's up?"

"I have something to ask you." She said, growing nervous. She knew he wouldn't decline her, so she really didn't know why her nerves were getting all worked up. Though anything to do with the wedding made her get nervous.

"You know you can ask me anything, shoot." He said.

She sighed, "You know how I don't really know my father that well. . . and what I do know about him, I dislike. . ."

"Yeah. . ." Steve said, not really knowing where this was going.

"And you know Brian and I are now engaged." She said.

"Yeah. . ." Steve repeated his former sentence.

"Well, I was just wondering, if you would mind walking me down the aisle and giving me away?" She asked.

Steve's mouth dropped. That was the biggest honor that Aubrey could give him. He smiled, as he walked around and hugged his friend.

"I would love to do that." He said, "It would be my honor."

She smiled, "Thank you so much."

They really didn't say anything else due to the door opening up. She smiled when she saw Brian walking in with two white bags in his hands. He handed one to Steve, and then one to his fiance. Aubrey leaned over and gave him a kiss on the cheek. She and Brian went to her office so she could enjoy the lunch.

"So, I asked Steve to give me away." She told Brian.

"You did?" He asked.

"Yeah, you know. . . since I really don't have anything to do with my father."

"That's good that you asked Steve."

"He seemed really happy about it. How did your visit with your dad go?"

"It went well." He grinned, "He wants to see your ring." Brian laughed, "He said if I didn't pick out a good one, then he might just have to ground me."

She smiled, "You two are so much alike."

He stayed with her for the remainder of the day. He sat in her office while she done some work.

"You know, we really need to discuss wedding stuff soon." He said.

"We will. I promise we'll devote my next day off to talking about the wedding." She replied.
♠ ♠ ♠
Image